Author Topic: Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film Reviews  (Read 3293 times)

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film Reviews
« on: February 20, 2015, 01:24:41 AM »
On Rai's recommendation I've listened to a few shows, and am enjoying it so far.

It's curious, I doubt I'll watch most of the movies discussed, and I'm not sure Mark's opinions even mesh that well with my own (he has a remarkable ability to enjoy things from many diverse angles, and not just facile it-passed-the-time-and-satisfied-my-easily-amused-threshold ones). However, listening to these guys talk is entertaining. Somehow I just want to hear them talk... about things.

Anyway, good so far, and it's great to find a podcast whose hosts and interaction I like. Funnily enough, and basically the polar opposite, I listen to another podcast hosted by someone whose mannerisms and whole being induce rage, but the subject matter I passionately love—not a good experience.  :D

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film Reviews
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 01:38:54 AM »
On Rai's recommendation I've listened to a few shows, and am enjoying it so far.

It's curious, I doubt I'll watch most of the movies discussed, and I'm not sure Mark's opinions even mesh that well with my own (he has a remarkable ability to enjoy things from many diverse angles, and not just facile it-passed-the-time-and-satisfied-my-easily-amused-threshold ones). However, listening to these guys talk is entertaining. Somehow I just want to hear them talk... about things.

Anyway, good so far, and it's great to find a podcast whose hosts and interaction I like. Funnily enough, and basically the polar opposite, I listen to another podcast hosted by someone whose mannerisms and whole being induce rage, but the subject matter I passionately love—not a good experience.  :D

Kermode and Mayo (aka Toilet and Sandwich Spread) are the Tom and Ray Magliozzi of film reviewers.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 02:48:01 AM »
Hmm, that's one cultural reference outside of my experience.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 04:29:45 AM »
I am really glad you are enjoying it.

This was one of the first podcasts I started listening to, about six years ago and the only one from that first batch. Kermode knows a LOT about movies and while I do not agree with him on everything, he always makes an intelligent and educated argument that I can at least respect.

And Mayo is always there to keep him from getting completely obnoxious, and be a straight man who points out that maybe, for example, "Brechtian alienation device" is not a concept to be casually thrown around for a general audience.

They have been doing this together for over ten years, and both of them are real radio veterans, and it shows.

Also, hello to Jason Isaacs!

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 04:54:55 AM »
I love this show.

When I was about 8 years old I got my first clock radio which used to wake me to the sounds of Simon Mayo's breakfast show on Radio 1. I listened to this for years. I had a recurring dream that I was on the moon, in the Eagle lander, with Simon Mayo.

I find Mayo's voice to be soothing but there are always the acerbic undertones of the Cranky Old Man which create the perfect counterfoil to Kermode's, erm, Crankier Old Man. Kermode talks about the social and political subtext of films in a way that I appreciate. The in-jokes grated on me at first but, as is the way with such things, I found myself gently chuckling and then actively engaging with the humour. Plus I know that I can rely on Kermode to be a consistent judge - like Plastiq, I may not always agree with his reviews but they give me enough info to kinda prejudge whether I will enjoy a film.

They have that podcast magic combo of great voices for radio and great content, all driven by bickery wittering. Wittertainment.

Also, hello to Jason Isaacs!

Hello indeed!  ;D
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 05:31:03 AM »
Hmm, that's one cultural reference outside of my experience.

Tom and Ray were the hosts of a radio show called "Car Talk", which was nominally about cars, but most people listened to it for the banter.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 06:04:14 AM »
Also, there are the rants. Oh, the rants.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 07:20:48 AM »
This was one of the first podcasts I started listening to, about six years ago and the only one from that first batch. Kermode knows a LOT about movies and while I do not agree with him on everything, he always makes an intelligent and educated argument that I can at least respect.

Undeniably. And as Starnado says, Mark's breakdown will probably give you an idea of whether a film is for you or not, regardless of his verdict.

And Mayo is always there to keep him from getting completely obnoxious, and be a straight man who points out that maybe, for example, "Brechtian alienation device" is not a concept to be casually thrown around for a general audience.

They have been doing this together for over ten years, and both of them are real radio veterans, and it shows.

Yeah, they work well together.

As for the fact they're radio veterans, I think that's a salient point that the average podcaster ignores at their peril. So many shows are basically fly-on-the-wall-type recordings of casual conversations and giggling between friends that is agonizing to listen to. Not that it can't work, but it's rare and I don't have the patience. And don't get me started on people eating on the mic. Holy fuck. Normally an attempt at professionalism and presenting a show that actually moves along is a good idea.

I am really glad you are enjoying it.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 01:02:12 PM »
The next podcast might mention this, so here are this year's Kermode Awards

Offline JohnM

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 03:28:44 PM »

Hello to Jason Isaacs!

S&K podcast is good as it often brings to attention films I would never see. Many a mile has been cycled chuckling away at wittertainment.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 02:57:02 AM »
Lol @ Mark saying to Simon: "we are in a monogamous relationship"

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 01:18:27 PM »
Hmm. Interest in movies growing.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 02:04:55 PM »
... I find Mayo's voice to be soothing ...

Funny, I was thinking that to myself listening to it yesterday.

Still going with the show. What the hell is with it? I'd never have thought I could find a movie podcast so compelling; these guys just work crazy well together. It's not even as if I intend to watch a fraction of the recommended movies.

I'm basically listening to a show about a subject I sort of don't care about for the interaction of the hosts. (Although a lot of the history and trivia is interesting.)

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 02:38:58 PM »
... I find Mayo's voice to be soothing ...

Funny, I was thinking that to myself listening to it yesterday.

Still going with the show. What the hell is with it? I'd never have thought I could find a movie podcast so compelling; these guys just work crazy well together. It's not even as if I intend to watch a fraction of the recommended movies.

Mayo has been a radio presenter since around 1980 and Kermode has been with the BBC since 1993. They probably have more experience than the vast majority of other podcasters, including their beloved rival Test Match Special.

Offline JohnM

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 07:38:27 AM »

Mayo has been a radio presenter since around 1980 and Kermode has been with the BBC since 1993. They probably have more experience than the vast majority of other podcasters, including their beloved rival Test Match Special.

Well TMS does have Henry Blowfield who's been a pundit since the 70s..

personate-rain
personate-rain