Author Topic: Steampunk RPGs  (Read 3925 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Steampunk RPGs
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 11:12:22 AM »
adversarial GM

ie. the only way I wanted to play when I was 17, and the only way I don't want to play when I'm 39.
Yeah, there's definitely a big part of that lurking behind a lot of these game mechanics, too, and it is sometimes *really* hard to train players out of that mindset (in fact, a lot of people seem to only enjoy that kind of game, which, yuk, but to each their own I guess). The idea that failure can be fun because good RPGing is about creating a neat narrative, not "winning" is a real paradigm shift.

Unlike many, I can pinpoint the exact moment I had that shift.  Playing at a convention, an RPGA "classic" event where the adventure comes with tailored pre-gen characters, and the premise of the adventure (which you don't know at the start) was that only one character is able to survive a catastrophe, and you end up being able to choose who it will be.  In that case "winning" was about dying with dignity, and it was a very powerful moment.  Game changer, for me.  (We let the pregnant girl be the survivor - my halfling blacksmith died with dignity.)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 11:16:33 AM »
I don't have a defining moment myself but definitely my final split was discovering story games. I'd long been more interested in the narrative and emergent gameplay sides of RPGing than the powergaming aspects, but I was never quite able to put my finger on why or understand exactly how to facilitate a fun story-based gaming event before getting into games like Fiasco, Microscope, and so on.

That RPGA event sounds kind of awesome and pretty ballsy for the GM, too, if you were able to control enough of the narrative to "allow" your character to die in a neat and memorable way. I have heard some, um, not so great things about con one-shots (and good things too, I guess).
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 11:27:36 AM »
I have heard some, um, not so great things about con one-shots (and good things too, I guess).

It's super swingy.  The hits are World Series winning walk-off grand slam home runs, but the misses are embarrassing strikeouts where you also manage to hit yourself in the nuts while dropping the bat.  Personally, I experienced 2 hits and about 15 misses.
 (the vast bulk of my con games were campaign-based, not one-offs).
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

personate-rain
personate-rain