Author Topic: Better Call Saul  (Read 7567 times)

Offline DoktorBob

• Banned
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Better Call Saul
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 03:54:38 PM »
I finally found a thing I did not like about the show!  It was in the last episode, the "big confession" conversation, I feel like it was way too "let me spell it out in full detail how I feel and how you should feel and leave no subtext".  It was too conventional TV.

BrBa was like that too. REmember when Uncle Tio woulldn't rat on walter?

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 01:33:28 AM »
I finally found a thing I did not like about the show!  It was in the last episode, the "big confession" conversation, I feel like it was way too "let me spell it out in full detail how I feel and how you should feel and leave no subtext".  It was too conventional TV.

Seriously?  I thought that was amazing!  If it were anyone else but Mike, I could maybe see where you're coming from, but the contrast of him being the cold as ice type with him just torn open was perfect.  Also, if he'd opened up to anyone other than his daughter-in-law, like Jimmy in the car when he asked, I'd be right there with you as well.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 01:34:40 AM »
Also, I can't remember, did he state that that's why he can never forgive himself or was that just implied? 
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline DoktorBob

• Banned
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 01:42:38 AM »
So will there be a story line or is every week just a one off episode?

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 01:50:09 AM »
Also, I can't remember, did he state that that's why he can never forgive himself or was that just implied?

I think it was implied.

Offline neverbug

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Actual Mermaid
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 09:17:01 AM »

They talked about this in the latest podcast and compared it to Robert Shaw's Indianapolis monologue in Jaws. Maybe not necessarily the "leave no subtext" thing, but just the idea of having Mike do this big speech. I did like it in the sense that it felt powerful coming from a character who is usually a man of few words. And it made me start to think about his relationship with Jesse in Breaking Bad, and just how much of that relationship is influenced by what happened with his son.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 10:39:57 AM »

They talked about this in the latest podcast and compared it to Robert Shaw's Indianapolis monologue in Jaws. Maybe not necessarily the "leave no subtext" thing, but just the idea of having Mike do this big speech. I did like it in the sense that it felt powerful coming from a character who is usually a man of few words. And it made me start to think about his relationship with Jesse in Breaking Bad, and just how much of that relationship is influenced by what happened with his son.

Yes, my objection is not to the fact that the scene was there, but just the sheer amount of spelling out every emotion without leaving anything unsaid that felt far too explainy to mee.

The Indianapolis monologue is actually a perfect example of how to do it right, IMO.  He didn't have to say at the end "and this is why I hate the sharks and will get this son of a bitch no matter the cost", because that's the connection you expect the audience to make from the speech.  Contrast this with Mike's dialogue where not only does he say "I made him take the money and they killed him anyway", but then he goes on to say something like "I made him debase himself" and "I was his hero", all of which was already obvious to the viewer and, perhaps even more importantly, would have been abundantly known to his son's widow.

The last line of the episode also felt like a big ole cliche to me "you know what I did, the question is... can you live with it?".

Don't get me wrong, I loved the fact that the scene was there and the fact that we saw Mike connect the dots to his relationship with Jesse and also fill out what was an fascinating, but a somewhat 2-D character before.  My criticism is aimed at the writing that was perhaps aimed at below what the typical expectations of a Breaking Bad audience.  I thought Jonathan Banks did an amazing job delivering the lines, but what was written for him belonged in another, more ordinary show.

Offline neverbug

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Actual Mermaid
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 02:04:13 PM »

The last line of the episode also felt like a big ole cliche to me "you know what I did, the question is... can you live with it?".

:laugh: I totally agree with you on this. I actually said out loud to my tv "can you live with it?" before Mike said it. And then I was like come onnnn guys, you can do better than that!

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »

I think we're seeing the pieces assemble which will lead to larger arcs.

Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline DoktorBob

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »

Good, aren't we almost half way thru?

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 04:07:37 PM »

Good, aren't we almost half way thru?

There's a heckuva lot of back story and character depth to establish, calm yourself.

BrBa's characters evolved with the grand arc, since nobody knew where it was going to go. With BCS, we know the future already, so they need to spend more time in the past to prepare the stories for the present.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 09:23:56 AM »
I'm watchin' it, not lovin' it, but watchin' it.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline neverbug

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Actual Mermaid
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 08:46:51 AM »
I can't believe there are only two more episodes left in the season. It seems like it has gone by so fast! I don't want that jerk Don Draper to come back, I want more Jimmy  >:(

I enjoyed the most recent episode. There was a ton of legal stuff but it was still gripping and exciting to me. And I dunno, I just really have a hatred for people who purposely take advantage of the elderly, so I'm really hoping that the Brothers McGill take those assholes down. And that Chuck has finally realized he can go outside and be Super Lawyer again without fear of electricity.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 10:36:11 AM »
The thing that saddens me is that we know Jimmy is going to fail at some point.  That makes me hold back in emotionally investing in their success.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 10:50:32 AM »
They haven't even threatened anyone and I've got this sense of constant foreboding.  Early on in Breaking Bad Jimmy says, "Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?" I'm betting that'll somehow be the thesis here.   
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.