Author Topic: Better Call Saul  (Read 7874 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Better Call Saul
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2017, 03:18:07 PM »
I see no evidence of that jealosy.

Go back and watch that scene where he invites Jimmy to dinner with his wife.

Are you referring to the speech where he said that Jimmy doesn't deserve to be a lawyer?  I think it's consistent with how Chuck sees the law, rather than a kind of jealousy of someone more gifted than himself.

No - the way he looks at her when she laugh at his jokes.

http://www.amc.com/shows/better-call-saul/video-extras/season-02/episode-05/clip-dinner-at-chucks-house-episode-205-rebecca

Ah - here it is from the exec producers. 

http://www.amc.com/shows/better-call-saul/video-extras/season-02/episode-05/inside-episode-205-better-call-saul-rebecca

As always, the truth is a reaction of  authorial intention, the medium, and the viewer.  So I am not saying you are wrong. 
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2017, 03:43:06 PM »
My 2c-
Im more informed by the actual performance of the actor here than by anything in the dialogue or actions.
If you look coldly at the facts of what has happened and what has been said, then I think Eternally Learning's assessment is correct.
I get a feeling from the performance though that while Chuck has always been technically correct about his brother and not to blame for his failings, I think he also WANTS that to be the case.
He doesnt just see Jimmy as his intellectual inferior but also as his moral inferior and he values that pecking order very highly.
He doesnt think Jimmy deserves love and respect or a career or to hold a similar position or a similar title to Chuck.
He hates every moment it takes to expose his brother and actually hates Jimmy himself. But his behaviour and words can never betray that, because if they do then in his mind he is culpable and failed as a brother.
He is using the ultimate screen of plausible deniability to cover his utter contempt for Jimmy.
But he hasnt done anything wrong.
Yet.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2017, 04:53:36 PM »
I see no evidence of that jealosy.  I think that's projecting onto a character a familiar cliche.  To me Chuck is consistent in saying both inadvertently and deliberately that he thinks Jimmy doesn't treat the law with enough respect and lacks the moral fiber to be a lawyer.  Yes, Chuck is blind to the unethical way in which he's treated his own brother, making him a complete hypocrite, which is the greatest thing about this show IMO.  He's not a fool, he's just like real people are, oblivious to his own bullshit.

Did you watch the latest episode?
(click to show/hide)

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2017, 05:20:26 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2017, 05:54:53 PM »
It looks like resentment and a sense of perversity about Jimmy's charm superseding the moral order the universe.  I do pick up on jealousy every now and again but Chuck is a man who thinks his car-shitting idiot brother literally conned their father to death, and is now seeing that man upset and infiltrate the very center of his world-view and sense of self.

And that is being filtered, in part, through a psychosomatic condition which worsens with stress and improves with feelings of control and order.

Chuck's simmering with resentment and outrage and is in desperate need for reassertion of control and order, in no small part by Jimmy not rising above his station and especially not into law. 
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2017, 06:34:19 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I think jealousy is just one aspect of his character.  It's just there adding a strong flavor to the complex stew of emotions and history that is their relationship. If it were the all there was then I'd be on board with your angle of it being an uninteresting character trait.

The other thing is though, that I think you're exactly right that Chuck could never see himself as Jimmy's inferior. That's why I compared his illness to his jealousy; he's completely unable to admit any mental weakness on his part and so can neither accept that his condition is phycosomatic or that his problems with his brother stem from being jealous of Jimmy's innate charm and raw talent. Just like he's gone to great lengths to rationalize to himself and others that his condition is physical, he's gone even further to justify to himself, others, and Jimmy that it's all for Jimmy's own good. The best part of both though, is that Chuck is so sharp and intelligent that his argumentation is virtually unassailable. It took trickery and manipulation to expose both realities to all concerned.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2017, 07:11:12 PM »
It's amazing that we're talking about such complexity that traces its roots to a throw-away sleezey "criminal" lawyer character.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2017, 08:11:49 PM »
It's amazing that we're talking about such complexity that traces its roots to a throw-away sleezey "criminal" lawyer character.

It really is.  I feel like the writing was so good on that show we could've had a Skinny Pete and Badger spin-off and it would still be one of the best things on TV.

On another note, I find myself wondering more and more if we aren't going to have a few episodes of Breaking Bad from Saul's POV.  I wouldn't want to rehash the whole show, but I think it's clear from BCS, that Jimmy was always putting on an act for Walt, Jessie, and so on. It'd be worthwhile to see the Jimmy beneath the surface during some crucial moments like when he finds out he helped poison a kid or when he finally decides he has to leave.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2017, 09:07:38 PM »
no Mike stuff, still didn't mind this episode at all.
Quote from: George William Foote
Priestcraft nourishes hope in the scientific laboratory, and feels only faint misgivings in academic halls; but it pales and withers at the smile of scepticism, and hears in a low laugh the note of the trump of doom."

personate-rain
personate-rain