Author Topic: Better Call Saul  (Read 8401 times)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Better Call Saul
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 11:11:31 AM »
watching the latest ep:

they played the instrumental version of HBMS (Feat. Roisin & J-Live) - "The Truth" during the shredded documents scene. :) little easter egg
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:13:47 AM by GodSlayer »
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 01:03:03 PM »
I'm listening to the Better Call Saul Insider's Podcast and the actor who plays Hamlin is great.  I'm listening to him talk about his suit/wardrobe now and my opinion of the character is steadily increasing.  This is really increasing my enjoyment of the show. 
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2015, 03:03:25 AM »
The thing that saddens me is that we know Jimmy is going to fail at some point.  That makes me hold back in emotionally investing in their success.

Yeah, exactly this.  I'm still loving the show, but I'm definitely waiting on the other shoe to drop.  IGN, in their review said that they felt certain Chuck was going to betray Jimmy and take the case to HHM once things get rolling.  They were making the case that Chuck just doesn't respect Jimmy, but I'm not 100% sure.  I could see it going that way though, and Chuck backstabbing Jimmy right as he's about to have the case of his life would certainly explain A LOT about the missing steps between here and Saul Goodman.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »
I'm 99% certain that what will happen is that HHM will threaten to sue Chuck for breaking his non-compete and offer him a deal which will end up screwing Jimmy out of his fair share and Chuck will take it.

I don't see him deliberately screwing Jimmy, but being presented with an impossible choice.

I'm also thinking that part of the deal would be to also take Jimmy's name or rather take Jimmy's ability to practice law as McGill.  Either that or the deal will be such a big blow for Jimmy that he'll want to run from the name he shares with Chuck.  Ultimately this is what the first season is about, how JM becomes SG.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2015, 11:37:17 AM »
I'm 99% certain that what will happen is that HHM will threaten to sue Chuck for breaking his non-compete and offer him a deal which will end up screwing Jimmy out of his fair share and Chuck will take it.

I don't see him deliberately screwing Jimmy, but being presented with an impossible choice.

I'm also thinking that part of the deal would be to also take Jimmy's name or rather take Jimmy's ability to practice law as McGill.  Either that or the deal will be such a big blow for Jimmy that he'll want to run from the name he shares with Chuck.

^This. 
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2015, 11:44:01 AM »
I do like they didn't just jump into his Saul persona. They've put down some cards you know they'll pick up in the future, but I really like this version where he's really, really struggling to work it straight but use his street hustler talents in the cause of his lawyer work. It's a bit like how the first couple seasons of Breaking Bad always had a "better crime through chemistry" element. Alas, they seemed to have dropped that by the third season.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »
Anyone else deeply ashamed by how long it took to realize:

Saul Goodman --> S'all good, man
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline neverbug

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Actual Mermaid
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 02:01:31 PM »
Anyone else deeply ashamed by how long it took to realize:

Saul Goodman --> S'all good, man

:laugh: I realized that with Saul's very first Breaking Bad appearance, and I am sort of surprised how many people didn't pick up on it! You should indeed be very deeply ashamed of yourself.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2015, 02:02:10 PM »
I have to say, I thought it was going to be mediocre, I thought Vince Gilligan was just going for another money grab after seeing the Breaking Bad dollars, but as far as I can tell, this show is as much of a labor of love for him as breaking bad was.

After the mike revenge episode, Jesus, he had my full attention and trust, and I let my hope rise. Such an emotional episode that could have been handled so poorly, but it was fantastic.

Not to mention the "B" storylines have been gripping enough to be memorable, mikes brother, the Kettlemans etc.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2015, 02:04:22 PM »
As for predictions, HHM will somehow use Chuck using his printer code as justification that the cage belongs to them.Chuck will die, of shock or something, because he wont have his huge distraction anymore, and saul will begin his transformation, his heart will shrink three sizes and he will become Saul

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 02:21:52 PM »
his heart will shrink three sizes and he will become Saul

This part actually has had me worried this whole season.  I am not yet convinced they'll be able to pull off the transformation.

Offline neverbug

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Actual Mermaid
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
Not to mention the "B" storylines have been gripping enough to be memorable, mikes brother, the Kettlemans etc.

I LOVE the Kettlemans. They are absolutely hilarious, especially Mrs. Kettleman.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 02:46:51 PM »

This part actually has had me worried this whole season.  I am not yet convinced they'll be able to pull off the transformation.

Do you remember how innocent Walter White was when BB started?

Anyway I don't feel Saul is such a bad guy, or that Jimmy is inherently good. The only thing stopping jimmyfrom getting pulled into crime world at this point seems to be not letting Chuck down. By the same token it seems to me Saul was always able to justify what he did in BB as being in the best interest of his clients. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 03:01:34 PM »

Do you remember how innocent Walter White was when BB started?

Anyway I don't feel Saul is such a bad guy, or that Jimmy is inherently good. The only thing stopping jimmyfrom getting pulled into crime world at this point seems to be not letting Chuck down. By the same token it seems to me Saul was always able to justify what he did in BB as being in the best interest of his clients. Maybe I'm misremembering.

I seem to recall Saul advocating for whacking Pinkman in BB.  The arc from Jimmy, who is broke but gives back a part of his $140 fee to an old lady and returns the money Kettlemans gave him, is not impossible, but it does have me worried.

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 03:05:49 PM »
I don't remember that.  When does he recommend killing Pinkman? 

personate-rain
personate-rain