Author Topic: Terry Pratchett passed away  (Read 8916 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Terry Pratchett passed away
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 08:14:59 PM »
Is it suitable for my middle schoolers?
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 09:25:13 PM »
I posted this in the Rate the Last Book... thread, then realized there's probably a Pratchett thread here.

Little story I want to share: I had finished Eric while at a bar, at which my friend works as a bartender. She's somewhat of a bibliophile, but never read Pratchett. After she asked what I was reading, I told her I had just finished and showed her a random page; she refused to give it back, telling me I could have it back when she was done. She was a bit emotional today about having just discovered him, as was my sister, who's currently reading The Color of Magic after all my prattling on about Pratchett.

I've also got to publicly thank Belgarath, who introduced me to Terry Pratchett... I haven't looked back. I teared up while reading commentary on his passing today; my favorite quote from these readings, by Gaiman:

Terry’s authorial voice is always Terry’s: genial, informed, sensible, drily amused. I suppose that, if you look quickly and are not paying attention, you might, perhaps, mistake it for jolly. But beneath any jollity there is a foundation of fury. Terry Pratchett is not one to go gentle into any night, good or otherwise.

He will rage, as he leaves, against so many things: stupidity, injustice, human foolishness and shortsightedness, not just the dying of the light. And, hand in hand with the anger, like an angel and a demon walking into the sunset, there is love: for human beings, in all our fallibility; for treasured objects; for stories; and ultimately and in all things, love for human dignity
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:27:48 PM by Drunken Idaho »
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 09:58:19 PM »
Is it suitable for my middle schoolers?

Definitely.
#non-belief denialist

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 07:12:28 AM »
I feel like if I had kids, I could have them read all of the Vimes books and be happy that they have been exposed to the types of morals I would like them to have.
Im in the middle of Raising Steam and its going to be hard to pick it up again without feeling sad.
Interestingly I couldnt get into the Colour of Magic and Ive found the Witches hard to get into but I will try to read all the Discworld books now I think.
The illustrated hardback The Last Hero is one of my favourite quick reads!

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 08:41:03 AM »
I own more books by Pratchett than by any other author. I tend to stay away from sycophantic national outpourings of grief but I am a little sad. He was the same age as my dad. I worked extensively with people with Alzheimers. it is a shitty disease.

Good on yer, Terry.

I would recommend starting with the Colour of Magic, as others have, simply because Rincewind travels all over the Disc. However, I have a very soft spot for Vimes, the witches, Carrot, The Librarian and the smaller stand-alone efforts like Small Gods. You can't go wrong with Pratchett although I did not really enjoy Eric.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 11:01:19 AM »
I would say that the outpouring is WAY more than national.  I've seen regret posts from around the world.  Even Texas!  I didn't even know they could read in Texas!

#non-belief denialist

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 02:26:52 PM »
I would say that the outpouring is WAY more than national.  I've seen regret posts from around the world.  Even Texas!  I didn't even know they could read in Texas!

We gotta figger out what calber of ammo we're buying SOMEhow.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 02:32:02 PM »

Nah, son, you just cram bullets in until you find ones that fit.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »

Nah, son, you just cram bullets in until you find ones that fit.

Any bullets fit if you cram hard enough. ;)

Offline Rabbit

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 10:20:10 AM »
Very sad news. Happily I've got a lot more of his books left to read, (unlike Banks when he Died). I loved his sense of humour away from the books too. One t-shirt I saw him wear was-

Tolkien is dead.
Rowling said no.
Pullman couldn't make it.
Hi, I'm Terry Pratchett

He was best of that lot imo.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 07:16:14 PM »
This makes me so sad, I cried when I heard the news.

I love the Discworld series, and the books he wrote with Neil Gaiman.

I am just hoping he has one more Discworld on his PC, it was meant to be a Tiffany Aching novel, which is really a witches novel, which were my favourites.

:'(

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 06:24:36 PM »
I am just hoping he has one more Discworld on his PC, it was meant to be a Tiffany Aching novel, which is really a witches novel, which were my favourites.

:'(

The author's 41st and final Discworld novel, The Shepherd's Crown, was completed last summer and it is due to be published later this year.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 06:59:32 PM »
You just made my day, my week, my month.

It is going to be emotional reading this last novel.

I have read almost all the Discworld books twice.

Offline OhMyGecko

• Brand New
  • A Beautiful Melancholy
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 04:13:28 AM »
I hadn't heard of this, thank you for posting. I really am sad to hear this but i hope he died on his own terms.

I started reading his novels in grade 6, truckers or diggers, but didn't enjoy them. Until i tried Pyramids (not a great book) which is probably the book which turned me into a reader.

The Rincewind novels are fun but i think the Vimes stories are better written. I suppose there might be only so much you can do with Rincewind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
One must never mistake pattern…for meaning.
The Hydrogen Sonata, QiRia - Ian M. Banks

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 11:18:47 AM »
I hadn't heard of this, thank you for posting. I really am sad to hear this but i hope he died on his own terms.

I started reading his novels in grade 6, truckers or diggers, but didn't enjoy them. Until i tried Pyramids (not a great book) which is probably the book which turned me into a reader.

The Rincewind novels are fun but i think the Vimes stories are better written. I suppose there might be only so much you can do with Rincewind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He didn't really get his voice until about book 4, then it just got better.
#non-belief denialist

personate-rain
personate-rain