Author Topic: Cities Skylines.  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
Cities Skylines.
« on: March 16, 2015, 02:54:16 PM »
Independent developer gives us the SimCity we wanted after EA took Maxis in the wrong direction.

I am currently obsessed with the game. Embarrassingly, I have played a couple nights until dawn because... there is no win or lose, your city just keeps growing, and there's always something else to fix... mainly traffic. Always traffic...
There are some annoyances, some obvious user-friendliness fixes but man, what a sim... it's amazing to be able go from watching one individual person commuting to work on a footpath through greenspace you've provided, all the way out to a whole-city infographic view, painting a wide swath of your city as a new industrial district... all seamlessly and without a performance hiccup. I dunno how they do it...
Anyone else playing it?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Cities Skylines.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 03:05:36 PM »
It looks pretty damn amazing. I am still yet to get into it fully, I have Borderlands 2 and Rome 2 to play, but I like it a lot.

I really have to read into optimal road design, as I want to have a proper planned community. My only beef so far is the lack of early-game civic buildings (I love to plan out a proper city centre, with town hall, parks and all) and the double road leading into the town, which bugs my OCD-ish tendencies.

And I love how it looks!!!!!
Tinkety tonk old fruit & down with the Nazis

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 03:08:20 PM »
I reaaaaaally dig this game.  Everything just works and makes sense, except some minor things involving industries.

One thing I am starting to get a little bit worried about is that it's maybe not very challenging.  That may or may not be a bad thing, so far I've been coming back to it anyway.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 03:45:44 PM »
I reaaaaaally dig this game.  Everything just works and makes sense, except some minor things involving industries.

One thing I am starting to get a little bit worried about is that it's maybe not very challenging.  That may or may not be a bad thing, so far I've been coming back to it anyway.
I agree about the lack of challenge. I used to play a lot of SimCity 3000. Once a city gets going, you're basically swimming in money and it's all you can do to keep up with spending it to expand, which means more money coming in, and so on. I got bored of conventional cities pretty quick, and wanted to try some crazier things (cities without roads, etc.) but I don't think their engine wasn't good enough for that kind of stuff to work, back then.

The only way for the game to challenge the player was to send random natural disasters. Seemed fake and annoying to me; I mostly turned them off.

But yeah, I'd like to try this one, seems well-done.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline DRmeg378

• Extremely Good Sport
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Somehow they let me have a child... and keep her
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 07:03:43 PM »
Independent developer gives us the SimCity we wanted after EA took Maxis in the wrong direction.

I am currently obsessed with the game. Embarrassingly, I have played a couple nights until dawn because... there is no win or lose, your city just keeps growing, and there's always something else to fix... mainly traffic. Always traffic...
There are some annoyances, some obvious user-friendliness fixes but man, what a sim... it's amazing to be able go from watching one individual person commuting to work on a footpath through greenspace you've provided, all the way out to a whole-city infographic view, painting a wide swath of your city as a new industrial district... all seamlessly and without a performance hiccup. I dunno how they do it...
Anyone else playing it?

I saw it on Steam and was waiting for something to pull the trigger. Thanks everyone!
"I try not to think with my gut. If I'm serious about understanding the world, thinking with anything besides my brain, as tempting as that may be, is likely to get me into trouble. Really, it's okay to reserve judgment until the evidence is in." - Carl Sagan

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 07:38:01 PM »
This is the best game I have played in recent memory.

It does EVERYTHING I want a city sim to do.  If you like SimCity even one iota, this is guranteed to tickle you in every way.  BUY IT I SAY!!!!

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 08:07:39 PM »

I agree about the lack of challenge. I used to play a lot of SimCity 3000. Once a city gets going, you're basically swimming in money and it's all you can do to keep up with spending it to expand, which means more money coming in, and so on. I got bored of conventional cities pretty quick, and wanted to try some crazier things (cities without roads, etc.) but I don't think their engine wasn't good enough for that kind of stuff to work, back then.

The only way for the game to challenge the player was to send random natural disasters. Seemed fake and annoying to me; I mostly turned them off.

But yeah, I'd like to try this one, seems well-done.

Yeah, that's pretty much how this game is. Well, except for the random natural disasters. There aren't any. The game does come with a Hard Mode mod, though. I'm not sure what exactly it does and using it supposedly disables Steam achievements, so I've left it off for now.

Anyway, I've come to think of this as the city-builder equivalent of Minecraft. There's no real goal and surviving is really easy, so it becomes something of a creativity sandbox. It's not a struggle to succeed, you just build stuff because you enjoy building it and making it look pretty. It's a very relaxing, joyful experience, and I'm completely okay with that.

Offline Zabulon

• Fails the Turing-test
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • Foxhole atheist
    • My band
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 06:54:22 AM »
Love it! I grew up on SimCity and SimCity 2000.

I love the fact that EA dropped the ball after butchering Maxis, and left the playing field up for grabs to a fairly unknown underdog developer.
In Cod we Trust

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 11:54:45 AM »
My city is now getting too big to screen cap at once.
I think I should have done more grids... traffic is just becoming a mess of spaghetti
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 03:18:08 PM »
Still playin' it and loving it...
Although once your city gets to 50K or so, there's not much else to do except grow outward, more of the same. You have to make challenges for yourself, like try to stack 4 tiers of roadway/railway on top of each other. That's my favorite thing to do, is loft up an unnecessarily-complicated highway overpass or el train  and make it work.
Version 1.1 recently: Tunnels added!

personate-rain
personate-rain