Author Topic: Stop Motion Music Video  (Read 2992 times)

Offline Ramblin_Ray

• Brand New
Stop Motion Music Video
« on: March 25, 2015, 06:08:55 PM »

I started this video project in May, 2013… just over a year and a half ago. Full disclaimer though, there were times when I wouldn’t work on it for weeks. Not sure on total hours but put it this way, it took so long that I stopped keeping track of how long it was taking and would almost use that time as a sort-of meditation period; a time when I could zone-out and listen to music and decompress. As tedious as it was, it was oddly relaxing.

The video itself consists of over 4000 individual frames, most of which are at 24 frames per second, but a few that are held much longer. The entire thing was shot on a 2.5’x3.5’ drafting table covered by a black sheet. All of the frames you see are the raw pictures I shot. There are no other post-production effects other than ‘fade-to-black.’

I was inspired to make the video after watching the movie ParaNorman and saw a short documentary on the making of the film. (Great movie!)

The theme of the video is basically, ‘life and death.’ A person is born and consists of the same elements as the world around him – just as we are; he is made of nuts and bolts, we’re made of atoms. He goes on an adventure, meets a friend he becomes very fond of, then returns to the earth he was made from. I added the quote from Carl Sagan because it nicely illustrates the short time we have here on Earth – plus, he’s one of my favorite authors.

The name of the song is simply the date that I wrote and recorded it on. I wasn’t even planning on writing and finishing an entire song when I started, but it only took a few hours to write and record the entire thing – it just kind of happened. It turned out to be one of my favorite songs, I actually kind of like this one. I played all the instruments and recorded it in the recording studio I helped build along with my dad, cousin, and brother-in-law.

(Here is a link to another music video I made with my daughter. Didn’t take as much effort as the stop-motion stuff, but still fun nonetheless!)

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
Re: Stop Motion Music Video
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »
Wow, from animator to animator, this is super-impressive!
Your first effort?? Holy cow. Your timing is pretty much right on. Good weight. And you can tell what these simple things are supposed to be simply by the way they move. I would never expect that from a beginner...
The way you move the "camera" by moving piles of everything else on screen is insane. The "effects" animation with the little washers is insane. The fact you did this in one shot and had to basically keep your stage set up for a year and a half without anyone bumping your table or camera... insane! I see how you did the whale belly sequence, very clever.
Congratulations finally getting it done!
And welcome to the forum.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Ramblin_Ray

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 11:14:12 PM »
Wow, thank you so much! Yeah, it was my first attempt (I've literally done zero animation before or after this video)...
Luckily, it was in my basement so it was easier to keep the kids at a safe distance so nothing would get bumped. I got the whale belly/superimpose idea from the Haunted Mansion ride at Walt Disney World... I remembered how they did it after visiting when I was a kid years ago and thought I would give it a shot. Not perfect, but it worked enough for my purposes!
The 'meaning' of the video is pretty personal to me; being an atheist, a science lover, and a skeptic, I've struggled (as all of us have) with meaning and purpose. I wanted to make the video to illustrate how we're all connected - we're all made of the same stuff. Everything is made of the same few dozen elements on that iconic chart hanging on every classroom wall in the world. Dust to dust, ya know?
I know it's not the greatest video, but I like it, and it means a lot to me. I'm so happy and humbled that you like it as well...
You mentioned you're an animator... Do you have anything you'd like to share? I'd love to check it out...

(Side note: I'm also an amateur astronomer and sustain a little website as a hobby. You can see it here: http://jeffreysboldlygoingnowhere.com/
I'm always messing around with some project or another. You can find them there.)

Good talking with ya and thanks again!
-Jeffrey

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 11:49:12 PM »
You mentioned you're an animator... Do you have anything you'd like to share? I'd love to check it out...

Here is something from college: the only stop-motion animation I have ever done.
It's slow and jittery and not as fun and active as yours.

(click to show/hide)

I'm a professional animator now, you can find my stuff at the link under my avatar/name.
<--- Over there.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:58:41 PM by Henning »
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Ramblin_Ray

• Brand New
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 08:22:13 PM »
-@Henning

Here is something from college: the only stop-motion animation I have ever done.
Wow! THAT was awesome man... that's super-professional looking... Great job!

It's slow and jittery and not as fun and active as yours.
-Are you kidding?! It was very smooth, much more than mine! And you're right, the colors are awesome.
Not only that, you say it's slow... but I'd argue that being 'slow' takes a lot more work. Honestly, the pacing for me was the hardest part. I didn't use any stop-motion computer software or anything so I just had to look at previous pictures and just imagine how fast things should be moving, stuff like that. (I did use Windows Movie Maker to compile all the picture into a movie at the end.) But I thought your pacing was spot on.

Again, great work! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Pavement

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 03:56:12 AM »
"Chaos is what we’ve lost touch with. This is why it is given a bad name. It is feared by the dominant archetype of our world, which is Ego, which clenches because its existance is defined in terms of control.” - Terrance McKenna

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 02:33:02 PM »
Wow, really cool!

You creative-types never cease to amaze me.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

personate-rain