Author Topic: European Court of Human Rights reaffirms that Amanda Knox's rights were violated  (Read 2958 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Everybody knows that I have been following the case closely and I thought it would be confirmed and the case would have to be fought in both the ECHR and the US Department of State

Daily Mail, I know but plenty of other sources
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3014378/Amanda-Knox-s-ex-launches-ditch-attempt-save-Italy-s-court-finally-prepares-deliver-verdict-pair-killed-British-student-Meredith-Kercher.html
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 07:51:23 AM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito Acquitted
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 07:23:33 PM »
For those who'd rather not darken the Daily Fail's virtual door:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/28/world/europe/amanda-knox-trial.html?_r=0
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 07:39:09 PM »
DesertFox, as someone who has extensively studied this case, can you assure us that this is, in fact, the last we will have to hear about the Amanda Knox case?  Please?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 07:49:27 PM »
DesertFox, as someone who has extensively studied this case, can you assure us that this is, in fact, the last we will have to hear about the Amanda Knox case?  Please?

I may make quips the next time there is an evil Satanist plot  >:D

I doubt there will be any more dedicated threads although to my knowledge there have only been two on the forum and they were both destroyed in the crashes.

Edit: Is the discussion any worse than previous never ending Free Will debates  :P

Edit-2: The issue of innocent people convicted of crimes which they did not do is a passion with me and I see this as a separate issue.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:17:17 AM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 11:21:33 PM »
Oh, I didn't mean that as a jab at you.  I was looking for assurances that the case is well and truly over. Final. No more endless retrials and appeals.  I have no comprehension of the Italian legal system, and to me it seemed like the thing should have been over after her first acquittal, yet we've suffered through, what, five more years of rehashing the same story both in court and in the media? I Just want to make sure that this verdict is actually the final verdict we've all been dreaming of so that CNN has to move on to something else.

Oh, and I'm up for another free will thread any time.  Our previous threads were all wiped out in the purge, after all.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 11:31:54 PM »

Edit: Is the discussion any worse than previous never ending Free Will debates  :P

How can there be any debate?  Who would be daft to argue that it isn't an awesome song?
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 11:55:58 PM »
Oh, I didn't mean that as a jab at you.  I was looking for assurances that the case is well and truly over. Final. No more endless retrials and appeals.  I have no comprehension of the Italian legal system, and to me it seemed like the thing should have been over after her first acquittal, yet we've suffered through, what, five more years of rehashing the same story both in court and in the media? I Just want to make sure that this verdict is actually the final verdict we've all been dreaming of so that CNN has to move on to something else.

Oh, and I'm up for another free will thread any time.  Our previous threads were all wiped out in the purge, after all.

The Italian Supreme Court of Cessation acquitted them and that should be the end from everything I have read.
The only loose end is that Amanda has appealed as aspect of her conviction (something like libel but not exactly) to the ECHR.
The nation involved has the option to come up with a negotiated settlement which I expect them to do.
There is also the possibility of trying to get legal fees back from some of the various authorities as well.
I see this as relatively minor however.

I actually rather have news of Amanda Knox though than the Kardassians.

Edit: There are actually good things to come of this trial such as people understanding that just because somebody finds DNA, it does not mean guilt. Small quantities are prone to contamination issues  and when proper handling procedures are not followed, it is a disaster waiting to happen. As well, things like secondary and even tertiary transfers can be an issue. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:20:24 AM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 01:11:07 AM »

How can there be any debate?  Who would be daft to argue that it isn't an awesome song?

I especially like the bit where the whale jumps over the kid.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 04:40:08 AM »
I actually rather have news of Amanda Knox though than the Kardassians.

I know, right? Those poor Bajorans.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline Rabbit

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 05:45:00 AM »
Have to say I'm disappointed in that, but it's done now I suppose.

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 02:37:06 AM »
short answer please:

Is she innocent because of reasonable doubt or was there some kind of alibi or other suspect involved?  I'm looking for short answers with no value judgements here.
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 03:11:34 AM »
short answer please:

Is she innocent because of reasonable doubt or was there some kind of alibi or other suspect involved?  I'm looking for short answers with no value judgements here.

A quick answer. . . .
Stomach content indicates a time of death for Meredeth at around 21:00 to 21:30
The Italian forensics department almost managed to destroy their computers but computer information indicates they were watching a movie and then a cartoon around the same time and Raffaele and Amanda were together.
In addition, Meredeth was killed in a small room and there was no legitimate physical evidence of either of them in that room.
*The bra clasp was collected about 45 days after the crime and picked up and handled using dirty gloves. It was also placed back on the floor to photograph it. There were also multiple DNA peaks on the bra clasp besides what might be Raffaele's signature.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 11:33:01 PM »
thanks
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 11:39:22 PM »
The Italian Supreme Court of Cessation acquitted them and that should be the end from everything I have read.

One can only hope.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 12:25:09 AM »
thanks

I do want to add that there is a suspect who was imprison, name is Rudy Guede.
He fled Italy the day after the murder and was arrested in Germany.
A bloody hand print of his was found on the wall in her room, dna of him both inside her and in her purse (with no money)
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain