Author Topic: Bugs, exploits, etc.  (Read 2630 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
Bugs, exploits, etc.
« on: March 30, 2015, 04:04:16 PM »
Anyone have any funny bug exploit stories?

There was a text game on the Apple 2e back in the day called Taipan, that was about trading up and down the Chinese coast.  You could borrow money from a loan shark who charged exorbitant interest but if you paid him back more than you owed, he'd still just apply the same interest rate to the negative balance.  You could actually get it high enough to make an overflow error if you weren't careful.  We would actually race to see who could get to the overflow error the fastest.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Bugs, exploits, etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 04:28:20 PM »
I did something similar to that exploit with a text-based stock trading game, where prices reacted to big movements of the stock if you traded in large enough volume.  So you could borrow money, short the stock so it would tank and then when it's a penny stock buy it all up and then sell it at an enormous profit.

When I figured out how to do that I ruined the game for everyone in that programming class.  Also, this is why we have securities regulations.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 04:48:09 PM »
Back in the day, my brother used the cheat the hell out of Daggerfall (an early fore-runner to Skyrim) by trying to steal stuff and getting caught by the guards. Nowadays you mostly turn around and have a guard in your face who just catches you but back then you could see them coming and run away. Also, you could run backwards just as quickly and well as you could run forwards. Also, because this game came out in the mid-90s and tried to have a gigantic world (to this day, I'm pretty sure Daggerfall had a larger world than any of its successors), everything is flat and more or less randomly generated so there's no hills or roots or anything to stumble over. Also, if you timed things just right you could hit a guard and move out of his sword range before he could hit you back.

My brother would literally spend 20 minutes at a time enticing a long line of guards to run after him and then kill them one by one over the couple MILES it took him to do the deed, then go back and loot the corpses. All the while, because this is, again, a game that came out in the mid-90s, they'd all just yell "HALT! HALT" at him. I have to admit, it was pretty freaking hilarious.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:51:01 PM »
So many older games, the bugs became the only reasonable ways to complete them.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline approx.purified

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 08:19:03 AM »
My friend had one of the NHL games for the PS2.  There was a bug where if you were attacking towards the goal at the top of the screen you could shot from the halfway line and it would sail over the goalkeepers head every time and into the back of the net.  We banned it when we were doing multiplayer games and if you scored one you had to let the other player score straight away.

The popular Championship Manager (now called Football Manager) games, a football (or soccer if you prefer) manager sim, are pretty infamous for their bugs.  The 03/04 season version had a flaw in the match engine which was exploited by a tactic called El Diablo (tactics could be exported and shared by the online community).  Even the most average team became amazing with it.  The match engine evolves every year and as far as I'm aware no one has discovered a similar super tactic for the newer versions.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 10:38:18 AM »
Back in elementary school in the mid-eighties we played a bridge contracting game on the TRS-80 in which is was your goal to bid as low as you could to beat out other players or the computer but still buy enough supplies to build the bridge and make money.  I don't remember how, but I discovered that if I bid a negative amount I was not only assured of getting the contract (as the lowest bidder) but when I failed to complete the contract for lack of capital my negative losses would be subtracted from my score.  This of course broke the game as it quickly became a race to see who could bid the highest (lowest?) negative amount.  There was, if I recall, a 10-character limit to the characters you could enter in your bid, but I discovered that you could enter bids in scientific notation.  After some trial and error, -9e9999999 became my default bid and we all had to give up the game.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 01:31:59 PM »
I had a similar experience with an old VAX-VMS game at our high school.  It was an all text/ascii art risk simulation, without the "armies" abstraction.  ie it counted out the individual soldiers you had under your command.  Come to find out that taking one soldier into a battle against a large army while doomed to failure would kill between 15 to 20% of the defenders.  I called it the Rambo Gambit, and I ruled the leaderboards until I fessed up what the exploit was.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 01:43:59 PM »
There was a feature in the first Baldur's Gate where you could export your character and import him into a new game. There was also a way of getting these skill books that upped a stat when you read them. You could import a character, read the skills books (there were one for each stat, if I recall), then export him, then repeat until all his stats were at 20. Or was it 25?

Anyway if you know anything about DnD, you can imagine what a character with 25 str, dex, con, int, wis, and luck did to enemies in that game. My dude could destroy Drizzt's party and that dragon on his own.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline frothy

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 03:07:34 PM »
There's the notoriously buggy "Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing". One bug is the game stops your speed going too high... but doesn't stop your speed going too low, and you can basically go faster than light, as long as you're going backwards.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »
There's the notoriously buggy "Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing". One bug is the game stops your speed going too high... but doesn't stop your speed going too low, and you can basically go faster than light, as long as you're going backwards.

Haha that's exactly the sort of thing I was going for.  Love it.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 11:22:55 AM »

Haha that's exactly the sort of thing I was going for.  Love it.

Then you should watch this:

Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Doubting Thomas

• Off to a Start
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 01:11:03 PM »
EA Sports keeps us updated with nice bugs on most releases..

personate-rain
personate-rain