Author Topic: Rate the Last Documentary you saw  (Read 11562 times)

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
Re: Rate the Last Documentary you saw
« Reply #165 on: December 22, 2016, 08:01:22 AM »
"The Last Gladiators"  8/10

Academy Award winning director Alex Gibney, director of "Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room", "Taxi to the Dark Side" and "Going Clear" made a documentary about the "goon" era of Hockey, (approx. 1970-2000 in my estimation).  It's main focus is the life and career of Montreal Candiens great Chris Nilan though lots of players, coaches and pundits from the era are interviewed. 

The documentary is a fascinating look at what happens to men who's job it is to brutalize other people when that job ends.  I found my self particularly enjoying it because this was the era of hockey that I grew up watching in Michigan.  I distinctly remember every player they speak to in the doc.  It's interesting that every problem both physical and emotional that the players have later in life seem to mirror the things you hear soldiers returning from war discussing. 
Well.  There it is.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2017, 02:19:04 PM »
I think this is really interesting

One of those Frontline documentaries I have been wanting to watch for a while.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2017, 10:14:18 AM »
The Seven Five

This doc is about NYC's corrupt Seventy Fifth precinct and the actions of the precinct's ringleader Michael Dowd in the 1980s and early 90s.
It is astonishing just how a-hole these cops were and how many of the cops (both dirty and clean)regard any whistleblower as  being a "rat".

It is also interesting how they complain about their pay--they show a check with  the amount of $615 (after taxes) as a weekly pay (starting salary). In the mid 80s even in NYC that wasn't bad pay at all (and cops then and still now all live in the 'burbs). Plus factor in the health coverage for life and retirement benefits after 20 years. Their complaints make me want to SCREAM at the tv. Talk about snowflakes.

This is also a showcase in the NYC accent--which breaks down into ethnic lines more than borough--most of what you hear is the NYC/Irish cop/fireman accent.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »
The Seven Five

This doc is about NYC's corrupt Seventy Fifth precinct and the actions of the precinct's ringleader Michael Dowd in the 1980s and early 90s.
It is astonishing just how a-hole these cops were and how many of the cops (both dirty and clean)regard any whistleblower as  being a "rat".

It is also interesting how they complain about their pay--they show a check with  the amount of $615 (after taxes) as a weekly pay (starting salary). In the mid 80s even in NYC that wasn't bad pay at all (and cops then and still now all live in the 'burbs). Plus factor in the health coverage for life and retirement benefits after 20 years. Their complaints make me want to SCREAM at the tv. Talk about snowflakes.

This is also a showcase in the NYC accent--which breaks down into ethnic lines more than borough--most of what you hear is the NYC/Irish cop/fireman accent.

Where did you see this? Is it on Netflix?

Online seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #169 on: April 28, 2017, 04:25:57 PM »
The Seven Five

Where did you see this? Is it on Netflix?

Yes. I think it was made in '14, but is a recent addition to Netflix.

It is definitely something all the "Blue Lives Matter" crowd should see.

I am all about having respect for the police--but it seems there are people clamoring to top each other in how much they revere cops, which I find disturbing.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #170 on: April 28, 2017, 05:09:22 PM »
I am all about having respect for the police--but it seems there are people clamoring to top each other in how much they revere cops, which I find disturbing.
It's a bit of a joke really, the only government employees that conservatives trust, cops and the military.  The converse is that they are off course the only government employees the left doesn't trust. 

(click to show/hide)

personate-rain