Author Topic: Ingress  (Read 10989 times)

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Always the control group
Re: Ingress
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2015, 09:43:46 AM »
i started playing about 2 weeks ago, and I'm just about at level 5. what are the badges that are easy pickings that would help me get in a position to level up easier after Lvl 8?

Recharger is pretty fast, you can recharge any portal within a certain distance that you have a key to (or are right next to), but best to recharge your own. It is most people's first platinum and onyx medal.

If you live in a city or travel a lot, then Liberator - (portals captures)  is an option, as are the unique portals, resonators deployed, hacks...

If you have a "sofa portal" then glyph hack s for the Translator badge is a good one, also gives you lots of AP these days.

Trekker can be good if you walk while playing, a mere 300 Km for gold. It piles up fast.

If you live more rurally, then the Illuminator is possible do some even easy. More urban, perhaps Mind controller.

Sojourner if you are able to play every day, a year for onyx.
Heck, if you have lots of friends, then go for Recruiter. No-one ever seems to get that one.

Don't rely on Guardian. It is a way to get your heart broken. Though 20 days for gold should be possible on some portals even in more populated areas.
It's bad luck to be superstitious. ~ Anon ~

Forget Jesus. STARS died so that you could be here today. ~ Lawrence Krauss ~

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2015, 12:49:19 PM »
I read somewhere, maybe reddit, about a guy that captured a portal on the last day of the season in the middle of an amusement park, remotely recharged it through the winter, got his 150 days something like 3 days after it opened in the spring, then it got taken.

I'm kinda rural, there are a good number of portals in our small town, and not many players, they were all dead when I started playing. Now my only real competition is Zaros, who laughed at me for a week for playing and then made an account with the resistance just to mess with me.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2015, 11:00:49 PM »
I was lucky and got platinum guardian back in the day. Not likely to happen again.

Right now I'm glyph hacking like crazy to get my next gold, and blowing up everything I can find to get the one after that. I just finished figuring out how I have 4 gold (need 6). Turns out that each badge counts as all the levels below it, so my Onyx recharger is also platinum, gold, silver, and bronze.

Black/Onyx
Recharger: 38,357,882/25,000,000 XM

Platinum
Trekker: 1088/5000 Km
Guardian: 108/150 days controlling portal

Gold
Sojourner: 61/180 days

Silver
Translator: 5,391/6,000 glyph points
Hacker: 23,215/30,000 portal hacks
Purifier: 19,572/30,000 resonators destroyed

Illuminator: 120,288/250,000 MUs
Liberator: 1,367/5,000 portals captured
Builder: 15,510/30,000 resonators deployed
Explorer: 1,456/2,000 unique portals
Mind Controller: 1,243/2,000 control fields created
Pioneer: 514/1,000 unique portals captured
Connector: 3,213/5,000 portal links
Innovator: 9/11 contributions in Year 2

Bronze
SpecOps: 5/25 missions
Engineer: 1258/1500 Mods Deployed
Seer: 34/50 new portal submissions

Events: Persepolis, Shōnin
Other: Verified, Founder
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2015, 03:25:13 PM »
Whew, ENL won Helsinki, and all of the four portals I was defending were also ENL, one of them Volatile for six points rather than one.  ;D

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 11:16:43 AM »
I just read the nicest thing in the comm. A guy is down from Chicago hanging out at the hospital, because his friend was in a head on collision. He was chatting back and forth with the locals, taking out some nearby portals. And then came the post "look to the skies soon. better sky coming in a bit" and they had painted the whole area around the hospital green. then he posted back "I want to send out a personal thanks to the ENL agent(s) putting up the green field over OSF (that's the hospital) earlier. much appreciated to see it in scanner and have it brought up in the chats in the Chicago burbs"

What a great bit of humanity coming out in a game. The enlightened around here are really enlightened.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 02:23:14 PM »
Nice. There's a lot of that kind of thing in the game - assholishness too, but wonder as well.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 03:45:09 PM »
It been fun, the enlightened in our area seem much more communicative and social that the resistance. It was probably only a day before I was contacted in the comm with a welcome and a come join our G+ group. Zaros has been playing for the resistance for a little over a month now and still has not had any contact with people on his team.

There is a portal I hacked and have the key for and i noticed that the owner kept recharging her on resonators but let mine die out. she's about to hit her 150 days for the guardian badge, I waiting till she hits is and then was going to send a congratulations, and ask her if that's the one that did it.  I've still got one of my original portals that I activated when I started playing I'm at 47 days, with only Zaros to worry about we made a pact not to hit each others, unfortunately for him someone drove through town and took his out, and he had to start over.

Offline Zaros

• been pissed off for years
  • Well Established
  • I'm the Sheriff.
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2015, 12:20:48 AM »
im 10k from lvl 7 and i have 9 badges, all of which are the lowest tier. i fear for my level 9 capabilities if i ever get there
Danger is my middle name.

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2015, 12:32:05 AM »
I've been out of the game for a bit over 2 years now - and decided to get back in yesterday. I was a little surprised to see just how many people are still playing and, disturbingly, just how many portals there are now. I can now reach about 6 portals without leaving my desk. and if I do a lap of the floor of oy office I can probably reach another dozen.

"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2015, 04:29:59 AM »
Near where I live the smurfs (well, really one guy and his groupies - but they make all the smurfs look bad) are guardian-spotters. They will look up portals in an area that are getting close to a badge limit with some sort of browser tool, then ping the owners' profiles to see if they have that badge, and if not send smirks on the comm. Then, when there are just a few days to go they will send a tick-tock message when they take the guardian down. They sometimes will travel hundreds of miles to do this. I had two taken down at 145 days just like that just this week, one of them a two-mile walk from the nearest road. Almost all the RES that have played for over  half a year have onyx guardian and hardly any of the ENL do as a consequence.

Bizarrely, my current best bet at a 150-day portal is in a heavy touristy destination in a huge city in another country.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2015, 08:29:33 AM »
Near where I live the smurfs (well, really one guy and his groupies - but they make all the smurfs look bad) are guardian-spotters. They will look up portals in an area that are getting close to a badge limit with some sort of browser tool, then ping the owners' profiles to see if they have that badge, and if not send smirks on the comm. Then, when there are just a few days to go they will send a tick-tock message when they take the guardian down. They sometimes will travel hundreds of miles to do this. I had two taken down at 145 days just like that just this week, one of them a two-mile walk from the nearest road. Almost all the RES that have played for over  half a year have onyx guardian and hardly any of the ENL do as a consequence.

Bizarrely, my current best bet at a 150-day portal is in a heavy touristy destination in a huge city in another country.

The Menus in my city are not as snark about it, but they senior guardians too. My best bet is likely one on the St Lawrence near Gananoque, but hell, they might make the trip.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2015, 12:44:27 PM »
Anyone remember Redfox1701 from the early days of this board? He's big into Ingress. He's one of the top go-to guys for Resistance players in Milwaukee now.

As for me... well, I guess you could say I've played a little bit.

(click to show/hide)

Niantic has said that Chicago is one of the best places in the world for being part of the Ingress community, and I believe them!
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2015, 12:58:42 PM »
I've been out of the game for a bit over 2 years now - and decided to get back in yesterday. I was a little surprised to see just how many people are still playing and, disturbingly, just how many portals there are now. I can now reach about 6 portals without leaving my desk. and if I do a lap of the floor of oy office I can probably reach another dozen.

Ha, I bet! The proliferation of portals has made the game vastly different than it was two years ago. It took me over a year to get to L8. Now it takes three months if you're casual.
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2015, 01:05:44 PM »

That's how it is here in Chicago too, except the other way around (it's ENL who are the guardian hunters). Or at least that's how it was. With the new badges like Trekker and Illuminator, leveling isn't as dependent on Guardian as it used to be, so the assholiness quotient has gone way down, and with it the perceived need for hunting.

IMO Guardian should have never been a badge. All the other badges are rewards for you playing the game. Guardian is a reward for your opponents not playing the game. Just a bad, bad idea all around.

In my experience, the factor that plays most heavily into getting plat or onyx Guardian is the reputation of the player. A friendly, honorable opponent is far more likely to be overlooked by Guardian hunters than a jerk is.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Zaros

• been pissed off for years
  • Well Established
  • I'm the Sheriff.
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2015, 09:28:07 PM »
I played hard for a while.  Got to level 6.75 then my interest waned.  It just seems so futile.  We just kinda trade portals, and that got boring after a while.

I did the exact same thing but it only lasted for about a week before i realized i was literally doing nothing else so i crept back into the game.
Danger is my middle name.

personate-rain