Author Topic: VPN Provider Options 2019  (Read 330 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
VPN Provider Options 2019
« on: September 30, 2019, 08:10:58 PM »
My subscription with NordVPN is coming up next week and I'm shopping around. They've been good, but there are a lot more VPN options out there than a few years ago, and they may have better prices.

My Requirements:
1. Must work on Windows, MacOS, iPadOS, and Android. Linux would be nice.
2. Provider does not keep traffic records for more than 48h, and only for troubleshooting. 24h would be better.
3. Provider business model does not include third parties (ads, promotions, selling member information, etc.).
4. Provider business model is sustainable (they charge enough to operate and expand).
5. Provider pricing and service models are competitive. A flat fee for unlimited data is ideal.

What VPN do you use, or would you recommend?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: VPN Provider Options 2019
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 09:38:57 AM »
I use purevpn, lately its been slow, so I'd check elsewhere.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »
Thanks for the info.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 03:30:58 AM »
I just got NordVPN

70% off sale. $3.49 a month.

I’m new to VPN, so I won’t be of much use in recommending anything. However, this thread or other VPN recommendation threads will become relevant to me 3 years.

😁

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 05:30:08 AM »
You could spin up your own VPN server on a VPS provider like digital ocean. They do not log traffic at all, and you control the configuration of your VPN.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 07:48:28 PM »
I know I'm late, but I use ExpressVPN and really like it.

#non-belief denialist

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 06:50:40 PM »
You could spin up your own VPN server on a VPS provider like digital ocean. They do not log traffic at all, and you control the configuration of your VPN.
Can you link to some more info about how to do this?

Offline Boßel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 08:16:58 AM »
Is it possible for your VPN to direct you to a malicious/illegitimate server?

If so, how could you tell?

Offline Boßel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 12:10:26 PM »
Is it possible for your VPN to direct you to a malicious/illegitimate server?

If so, how could you tell?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/nordvpn-confirms-it-was-hacked/amp/

NordVPN, a virtual private network provider that promises to “protect your privacy online,” has confirmed it was hacked.

The admission comes following rumors that the company had been breached. It first emerged that NordVPN had an expired internal private key exposed, potentially allowing anyone to spin out their own servers imitating NordVPN.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 09:53:32 AM »
Lovely. Thanks for the link. I'll look into how they responded to the breech both technically and PR. If they handled it responsibly they earn BrillyTrustPoints and keep my business.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 03:17:50 PM »
Can you link to some more info about how to do this?

I use Vultr's One-click OpenVPN.  The other day I wanted a VPN for a particular purpose. I spun up a new VPS using Vultr's one-click installation.  It took several minutes, because it had to install and configure the OS and software, but when it was done I had an ip address I could visit in any browser, enter the username and password they gave me, and download a profile including a certificate. I could also have changed the settings if I had intended to keep it. It even lets you download the client right from the page.  I used if for about two hours, then when I was done I destroyed the VPS. That IP is no longer associated with me in any way. In the time I used it, I racked up a whopping $0.03 in charges. If I need another one, I can spin one up just like I did this time. I would add that they have data centers in different countries, if you need geographic diversity.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 05:11:47 PM »
I'll have to check that out. Sounds easy enough to use.

personate-rain