Author Topic: Self-Driving Cars  (Read 84590 times)

Offline phooey

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Self-Driving Cars
« Reply #1305 on: February 07, 2018, 08:18:57 AM »
\
Right, it can run into the back of a parked car for you.  ...

If you're going to be a stickler for language used in others' posts, maybe you should be just as careful of the language used in your own post.

An Emergency Vehicle stopped in the road is not "parked," by either the legal definition or the common definition.

When are you going to explain to us the legal definition of parked? 

I am fascinated-can hardly wait.

You seriously don't know the difference between "Stopping, Standing and Parking" a car?

Get a lot of parking tickets, do you?

I am ashamed to admit that the first time I went to New York City, I parked my car under a sign that said "No Standing" because I didn't know what it meant.  When I came back, they were towing my car, but gave me a break because of how much of an idiot I came across when I tried to explain what happened.

Why would you get a ticket if you were parked, and not standing?  It said no standing right, it didn't say no parking.  You should have gone to court, you could have got legal help from carbshark.  He knows the difference. 

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1306 on: February 07, 2018, 09:35:17 AM »
Apparently my legal help wasn’t needed here as they got a break without it. Not sure why you suggest they should have gone to court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1307 on: February 07, 2018, 12:04:04 PM »
"Standing" means sitting in your vehicle while it's in Park mode.

"Parking" means putting your car into Park mode and then leaving it.

So if Standing is illegal, then Parking certainly is. If you're sitting in your vehicle with the motor running and the transmission in Park, you're liable to accrue a ticket and a fine if a cop happens by. If you park your car and leave it, then you're liable to receive not only the ticket and fine, but also to have it towed and impounded at your expense. 

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1308 on: February 07, 2018, 02:31:43 PM »

So if Standing is illegal, then Parking certainly is. If you're sitting in your vehicle with the motor running and the transmission in Park, you're liable to accrue a ticket and a fine if a cop happens by. If you park your car and leave it, then you're liable to receive not only the ticket and fine, but also to have it towed and impounded at your expense.

Close, but not exactly.

Stopping means you stop your vehicle to immediately load and/or unload passengers or goods, while you are in the car or are at the car loading, unloading or helping passengers get in or out.

Standing means you stop your vehicle and wait for a period of time for passengers and/or goods to arrive be loaded and or wait for passengers and/or goods to be unloaded.

Parking means you stop your vehicle and leave it. (And to get more technical, some jurisdictions say when the driver leaves the driver's seat it's parked.) No jurisdictions that I'm aware of consider an emergency vehicle stopped on the road to be Standing, Stopping or Parking.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1309 on: February 07, 2018, 02:39:07 PM »
Parking next to a hydrant means firefighters can break out your windows and run hose through your car.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1310 on: February 07, 2018, 03:43:41 PM »
I witnessed Metro Dade County firefighters perform that maneuver on a car once.

With gusto!

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1311 on: February 07, 2018, 04:32:33 PM »

Close, but not exactly.

Stopping means you stop your vehicle to immediately load and/or unload passengers or goods, while you are in the car or are at the car loading, unloading or helping passengers get in or out.

Standing means you stop your vehicle and wait for a period of time for passengers and/or goods to arrive be loaded and or wait for passengers and/or goods to be unloaded.

Parking means you stop your vehicle and leave it. (And to get more technical, some jurisdictions say when the driver leaves the driver's seat it's parked.) No jurisdictions that I'm aware of consider an emergency vehicle stopped on the road to be Standing, Stopping or Parking.

That's pretty much exactly what I said, except that I didn't mention anything about "Stopping."

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1312 on: February 07, 2018, 04:52:24 PM »

Close, but not exactly.

That's pretty much exactly what I said, except that I didn't mention anything about "Stopping."

No. You confused stopping with standing.

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #1313 on: February 08, 2018, 02:09:01 PM »
I found this piece of information quite enlightening, and don't know why I had never contemplated it before.

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-autopilot-why-crash-radar/

“Traffic-Aware Cruise Control cannot detect all objects and may not brake/decelerate for stationary vehicles, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h) and a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary vehicle or object is in front of you instead.”

It sounds like a glaring flaw, the kind of horrible mistake engineers race to eliminate. Nope. These systems are designed to ignore static obstacles because otherwise, they couldn't work at all.

I really, really want a self driving car in my lifetime, but boy does this seem like a huge obstacle to overcome.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1314 on: February 08, 2018, 02:52:14 PM »
It does not seem a monumental task to program something like...

If detected object is stationary, then ignore, unless said object and vehicle’s projected path coincide, in which case either brake or take evasive action or both.

Seems like that would be elementary and programmed for pretty early on.

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #1315 on: February 08, 2018, 03:28:54 PM »
I think the hurdle is the projected path, how far ahead is the car really looking? It's traffic avoidance right now, so it's a bubble around the car. when you're doing 50MPH a static object can come up on you pretty fast, if you're not "looking" that far ahead.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline phooey

« Reply #1316 on: February 13, 2018, 01:41:53 AM »
I found this piece of information quite enlightening, and don't know why I had never contemplated it before.

“Traffic-Aware Cruise Control cannot detect all objects and may not brake/decelerate for stationary vehicles, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h) and a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary vehicle or object is in front of you instead.”

It sounds like a glaring flaw, the kind of horrible mistake engineers race to eliminate. Nope. These systems are designed to ignore static obstacles because otherwise, they couldn't work at all.

I really, really want a self driving car in my lifetime, but boy does this seem like a huge obstacle to overcome.

I believe Daniel was estimating we will be ready to go with fully self-driving vehicles in the next couple of years.  Yea right. 

This is exactly the kind of shit that I have been talking about since early on, and all the naysayer skeptics here have been groaning, oh what's your problem....

How many people are going to be willing to ride in a self-driving car that says, well, there are a few situations which we won't be able to handle early on, but don't worry we will work them out over time, once we compile more stats.  In the meantime, just grab a coffee, enjoy a good book, and we will be ok most of the time, don't worry!  Take a nap if you want. How fast did you want to get there? 

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1317 on: February 13, 2018, 10:39:49 AM »

I believe Daniel was estimating we will be ready to go with fully self-driving vehicles in the next couple of years.  Yea right. 

This is exactly the kind of shit that I have been talking about since early on, and all the naysayer skeptics here have been groaning, oh what's your problem....

How many people are going to be willing to ride in a self-driving car that says, well, there are a few situations which we won't be able to handle early on, but don't worry we will work them out over time, once we compile more stats.  In the meantime, just grab a coffee, enjoy a good book, and we will be ok most of the time, don't worry!  Take a nap if you want. How fast did you want to get there?

TACC would be nice. Currently I used cruise control all the time. With TACC you set the desired speed and start driving. The system keeps you at or close to the desired speed, but slows down when you get to slower moving traffic so you don't have to constantly reset it (as I do now on LA Freeways).

You never hand control over to the car.

Offline phooey

« Reply #1318 on: February 14, 2018, 07:41:28 AM »

TACC would be nice. Currently I used cruise control all the time. With TACC you set the desired speed and start driving. The system keeps you at or close to the desired speed, but slows down when you get to slower moving traffic so you don't have to constantly reset it (as I do now on LA Freeways).

You never hand control over to the car.

What the fuck are you talking about? 

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1319 on: February 14, 2018, 10:34:40 AM »
What are you talking about? 

Try to keep up with the conversation