Author Topic: Self-Driving Cars  (Read 92272 times)

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: Self-Driving Cars
« Reply #1365 on: March 13, 2018, 11:29:55 AM »
Would you feel safer on a computerized bicycle?

How about a motorcycle?

Depends on the execution of it, but if it was a proven technology, yeah, probably. I don't see why not.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #1366 on: March 13, 2018, 11:57:05 AM »

How about a motorcycle?

Depends on the execution of it, but if it was a proven technology, yeah, probably. I don't see why not.

Motorcycles and bicycles require operator involvement - leaning and shifting weight around, bracing for braking, etc.  You could create a driverless bicycle, but you couldn't create a bicycle that somebody just sits on passively.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:58:32 PM by Friendly Angel »
Amend and resubmit.

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1367 on: March 13, 2018, 12:39:50 PM »
Is there anyone here who can honestly say that they would trust a computer to drive them, more than they would trust themselves?  Especially if not all other cars on the road were autonomous?  I can't imagine ever placing faith in a computer more than myself.  And I bet MOST people feel the same.

considering how much better autonomous cars are at not hitting things, compared to cars driven by people, I have no issue with trusting a computer to drive me.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #1368 on: March 13, 2018, 02:18:41 PM »

How about a motorcycle?

Motorcycles and bicycles require operator involvement - leaning and shifting weight around, bracing for braking, etc.  You could create a driverless bicycle, but you couldn't create a bicycle that somebody just sits on passively.

I think you could create a bicycle somebody just sits on passively. In fact we have one. In our case it's a special tandem and my rider has no knowledge of riding a bicycle and yet we lean into turns and balance just fine with my input alone. The captain up front (in our case a disabled adult) hangs on and is clipped in to SPD pedals, while the stoker in back handles all the controls and navigation. If a human can do it, I think a machine could do it.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #1369 on: March 13, 2018, 03:04:10 PM »
I would trust a self driving car over my own driving. For sure.

I would not use a self driving bicycle though. But that's because I use it for exercise, so it'll be moot to have it self drive around.

I don't get on any Motorbike. Self Driving or not. I have a rational fear of getting on a Motorcycle.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Oh Henry

• Keeps Priorities Straight
"My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing." ~ Aldous Huxley

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #1371 on: March 13, 2018, 03:46:25 PM »

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #1372 on: March 13, 2018, 04:21:22 PM »
Would it be more efficient if we put all the self-driving sensors on the roads rather than on the cars?  The cars could just connect to them.  Then if there's an advance in sensor technology, it could be deployed and benefit all cars with self-driving technology that connect to the sensors.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #1373 on: March 13, 2018, 04:23:08 PM »
Would it be more efficient if we put all the self-driving sensors on the roads rather than on the cars?  The cars could just connect to them.  Then if there's an advance in sensor technology, it could be deployed and benefit all cars with self-driving technology that connect to the sensors.

That's dumb.  Are you going to put sensors in every suburb?  If not, then the type of self driving cars you are talking about could only go where the sensors are.  It wouldn't be very practical except maybe for taxies in a big city.
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #1374 on: March 13, 2018, 04:28:40 PM »
Are you arguing with yourself there Billz?

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1375 on: March 13, 2018, 05:15:04 PM »
Is there anyone here who can honestly say that they would trust a computer to drive them, more than they would trust themselves?  Especially if not all other cars on the road were autonomous?  I can't imagine ever placing faith in a computer more than myself.  And I bet MOST people feel the same.

We already do make this choice all the time.

I prefer to use internet banking than go see the human at a bank. It's in all aspects of life now that we prefer a computer solution over a human one.

Would you prefer a computer driven robot bomb disposal unit or would you rather do it yourself?

You must be really looking forward to your bike controls becoming computerized.  Hands free steering?
Many aspects of bike control are going that way. Computerised motor assist, computerised gearing controls, computerised anti-lock braking systems. Steering is unlikely as that's a function of the rider themselves and their position and movements on the bicycle, whereas for a motor vehicle it can be done without the human (it doesn't matter how you move your body in a car, it won't affect a computer controlling the vehicle).

Besides you present a logical fallacy in that there are many forms of bike riding, one of them being functional (e.g. commuting) where such system are likely to have good application and penetration into bicycles in the years ahead. However there are also recreational and competitive forms of cycling, and in the former situations one might enjoy maintaining all manual controls and in the latter, well the rules of the sport dictate what tech is/is not permitted. And vintage bikes are a thing, there are even Penny Farthing races and race series.

Same for motor cars, there will always be people that will want an "old school" car to drive for the pure enjoyment of it. They do now, vintage cars are a thing if you hadn't noticed.  Just like there are those that have track day cars for a race-like experience.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #1376 on: March 13, 2018, 05:16:21 PM »
I find this terrifying. 

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/13/google-co-founders-kitty-hawk-unveils-is-electric-autonomous-flying-taxi/

They hope to have it certified by 2021. Have they managed a successful autonomous flight yet? These futuristic schemes always promote their dreams in the present tense, even before they have a working prototype. I'll bet this thing would work just fine as long as there are no other aircraft nearby. The place does look pretty cool, though.

Are you arguing with yourself there Billz?

He does seem to be doing that. I approve! And note that just as half an eye is still useful, a system with some sensors in some roadways would also be useful. Cars capable of connecting to them would get additional information. In places where there are no sensors, the car would use its own.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #1377 on: March 13, 2018, 05:52:39 PM »
I absolutely would, one hundred percent, every time. Computers have a faster reaction time than I do - by several orders of magnitude - and they have instant recall of any relevant information. I'm not even remotely capable of driving a car as well as a computer would.

ETA: And I actively enjoy driving.

ETA: Oh, and 360° vision.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:58:03 PM by arthwollipot »
Self-described nerd

Offline phooey

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #1378 on: March 14, 2018, 03:41:56 AM »
Except for when it comes to parked firetrucks. 

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #1379 on: March 14, 2018, 10:10:53 AM »
Except for when it comes to parked firetrucks.

The only explanation for this post and others is that you are a social psychologist doing an experiment on us to see how long you can troll us before we figure it out.

personate-rain