Author Topic: Self-Driving Cars  (Read 119346 times)

Offline phooey

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • View Profile
Re: Self-Driving Cars
« Reply #1665 on: February 24, 2020, 10:42:30 PM »
I fully acknowledge that there is technology capable of being tested.  You can take a truck, and let go of the wheel and it will drive relatively straight. 

I am not sure where you go with it from there, because a truck that can control itself 90% of the time, is still probably not all that useful to a delivery company. 

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: February 24, 2020, 10:49:44 PM »
I fully acknowledge that there is technology capable of being tested.  You can take a truck, and let go of the wheel and it will drive relatively straight. 

I am not sure where you go with it from there, because a truck that can control itself 90% of the time, is still probably not all that useful to a delivery company.

As has been shown, there are fully autonomous trucks doing complex tasks in mines.

The vehicle and its occupants sat quietly and waited at an ideal vantage point. They were parked at a lookout, with sweeping views of the red and yellow Pilbara earth. Coming into view was a technological leap that proponents argue will change mining forever.

It was impossible to miss: A fully-loaded haulage truck the size of a double-storey house on wheels, travelling at an estimated 60 kilometres an hour. But what was unique about this truck was it didn't have a driver.

Mining industry veteran Gavin Yeates, who was in the group of observers, says the autonomous truck, which weighed about 390 tonnes, was travelling along smoothly when something unexpected happened.

"It was one truck going at a good clip and a flock of birds, white cockatoos or something, flew across in front of it. And the truck instantly saw the birds and put the anchors on," he recalls.

"The sensors and things on the front of that truck picked up the birds and it was reacting," he says.

The incident happened at a mine about five years ago, during a driverless truck trial. In the time since, the number of autonomous trucks in the Western Australian iron ore mining industry has soared to reach about 240, and it's still climbing.

So what does autonomous mean in a mining operation, and how does an autonomous truck move around?

There isn't a human in the cabin, or a person controlling the truck every second remotely with a joystick.

Instead, the truck is loaded with ore by a human loader operator, who then gives the truck its destination. The truck knows where to go because of information about routes that are programmed by staff in a far-away operations centre.

The truck, which has a range of sensors that help it navigate, then drives itself to its destination. According to observers, the vehicles - which can travel at speeds of up to about 60 kilometres per hour - are very good at keeping their distance from one another, never forming a compressed conga line while en-route to their destination, which could be many kilometres away.

The trucks have enough "smarts" on board, according to Yeates, to detect objects like other pieces of machinery in their path, and steer around them. They know to slow down when travelling around a corner, change down gears when going uphill, and to keep their distance from the truck in front.

Then, when the truck unloads at its destination, staff in the operations centre direct it precisely where to unload.

Continue reading at the link.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 06:36:57 PM by arthwollipot »
Self-described nerd.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: February 25, 2020, 03:27:33 AM »

I am not sure where you go with it from there

What the hell are you talking about?

This has got to be some kind of joke. Are you trolling?

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: February 25, 2020, 10:37:19 AM »
... I am not sure where you go with it from there...

And that is precisely the crux of the matter: You don't know where it goes from there, so you assume that there's nowhere to go from there. But your assumption is wrong because it's based entirely on your inability to think of the next step.

That's why neither you nor I could build a self-driving car. That's why the people working on the problem are engineers and computer programmers and A.I. researchers, not ordinary people off the street.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline phooey

• View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: February 25, 2020, 02:06:47 PM »

I am not sure where you go with it from there

What the hell are you talking about?

This has got to be some kind of joke. Are you trolling?
Right, I am the troll.  And I am the ONLY one who has been right about the situation on this thread since 2016. 

Meanwhile arthwollipot is bragging about driverless cars in mines.  Wow.  They have had driverless trains in London since 1967.  They also have had boats with autopilot since the 1920s and the first autopilot for planes was in 1912. 

So, any day now I guess...

Do you guys make stock picks too? 

Offline CarbShark

• "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: February 25, 2020, 02:22:17 PM »

How's that short-selling Tesla working out for you?
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: February 25, 2020, 06:42:03 PM »
Right, I am the troll.  And I am the ONLY one who has been right about the situation on this thread since 2016.

No, you haven't. You've been saying all along that it is impossible, that it will never happen. You're wrong. It's happening.

Meanwhile arthwollipot is bragging about driverless cars in mines.  Wow.  They have had driverless trains in London since 1967.  They also have had boats with autopilot since the 1920s and the first autopilot for planes was in 1912. 

So, any day now I guess...

"Bragging"? No, I'm correcting your lack of knowledge about the real world. And you didn't even read the article I linked to. I can tell, because I just realised that I'd messed up the link when I posted it. Busted, you.

The link is fixed now and should work.

FYI, they're not driverless cars in mines, they're 360-tonne hauling trucks. And autonomous navigation of a vehicle is a lot more complicated than either a train, which is constrained to travel only on a clear track, or autopilot for boats and planes, which only ensures that the craft is travelling in a straight line.

What's that got to do with anything?
Self-described nerd.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: February 25, 2020, 09:26:54 PM »
It's a waste of time to even engage with arguments that obtuse, especially when the arguer clearly has no interest in educating themselves on the subject.

This is not a discussion, nor even an intellectually honest disagreement. This guy's just trolling, getting his jollies by riling up some tech nerds.

Offline CarbShark

• View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: February 25, 2020, 10:05:28 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline phooey

• View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: February 26, 2020, 05:22:18 AM »
It's a waste of time to even engage with arguments that obtuse, especially when the arguer clearly has no interest in educating themselves on the subject.

This is not a discussion, nor even an intellectually honest disagreement. This guy's just trolling, getting his jollies by riling up some tech nerds.

No, no, don't be so hard on Arthwollipot. 

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: February 27, 2020, 01:21:45 AM »
This is the only thread you ever post in?

You must have a very specific troll fetish.

Offline phooey

• View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: February 27, 2020, 09:04:53 AM »

So far your contributions are really brilliant.  I can't believe you have posted more in the past.  Wasted talent. 

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: February 27, 2020, 09:28:11 AM »

Phooey apparently has no interest in the SGU or in the broader science & skepticism movement. He is intensely concerned about self-driving cars. I actually do not think he is a troll. I think he is a well-intentioned neo-Luddite who is honestly scared of a future where cars drive themselves and really thinks a computer could never drive a car safely. In fact, he correctly pointed out some of the difficulties four years ago when the rest of us were more optimistic about how soon we'd have autonomous cars. Four years ago I thought I had a good chance of living long enough to own a Level 5 car, or at least Level 4. I now think the best I can hope for in my lifetime, given my age, is Level 3.

He is wrong on many counts, but I don't think he's a troll. A troll posts just to get a reaction. I think Phooey is expressing his real fears.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline CarbShark

• View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: February 27, 2020, 10:37:13 AM »
I think phooey is a Tesla short seller trying to create FUD And lower Tesla’s stock prices. One of their strategies is to be critical of Tesla and it’s technology in social media on the internet, in the media and public forums.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: February 27, 2020, 04:13:15 PM »
I think phooey is a Tesla short seller trying to create FUD And lower Tesla’s stock prices. One of their strategies is to be critical of Tesla and it’s technology in social media on the internet, in the media and public forums.

Yea, there is a group like that.  I have a new Tesla and it's great.  There is a lot of hype out there and Tesla tends to overhype what the vehicle is capable of, but it does do a LOT of things WAY better than other car automation.  Before the Tesla, I had a BMW with every possible level of automation they offered.  Tesla's automation is better.
Does it have issues?  Yep.  It's not fully there yet on lane changing.  But the BMW didn't do that at all. 
#non-belief denialist