Author Topic: Skeptoid  (Read 24418 times)

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Skeptoid
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 03:29:30 PM »
I enjoyed Skeptoid initially, as a light skeptic snack. Then Dunning mentioned he was interviewed on Joe Rogan's podcast. There were times Brian was reduced to babbling. Funny thing is...I've stopped listening to Skeptoid and started listening to The Joe Rogan Experience, trading a 15 minute podcast for a 3 hour one . I skip the comedian and MMA interviews. And it's how I first heard of Cara Santa Maria--been listening to hers ever since.

-1st
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline Loren

• Off to a Start
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 05:52:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure his prison term is close to being up, isn't it?

According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons website, Dunning's release date is scheduled for October 3.

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 01:22:13 AM »

According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons website, Dunning's release date is scheduled for October 3.

Unless he gets into a fight with a born-again Christisn meth-head and they extend his sentence.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 08:28:48 AM »
Jeff Wagg has done a few of the more interesting interim episodes. If you're not familiar with Jeff, he is the curator of the College of Curiosity and has his own podcast, called Oddments. He's a really interesting guy.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 08:40:37 AM »
Wagg used to be a big time member of the Randi Org. He's one of those lower profile work horse skeptics.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 09:04:06 AM »
Wagg used to be a big time member of the Randi Org. He's one of those lower profile work horse skeptics.

Indeed, though he doesn't associate as much with overt skepticism any more, preferring to focus on curiosity and wonder. Which is a nice way to be, in my opinion.

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »

When Dunning gets out do you all think he will he be sporting a "gangsta" prison tattoo? ;)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 11:35:55 AM »
Indeed, though he doesn't associate as much with overt skepticism any more, preferring to focus on curiosity and wonder. Which is a nice way to be, in my opinion.

I'll bet. it's like not being a police officer and starting a charity or something.
much nicer to not fight against a whole category of bullshit existing all around you, but instead avoid conflict and just focus on the positives in society.
it's more self-serving and not necessarily as helpful, but ya can hardly blame a person.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 12:03:27 PM »

I'll bet. it's like not being a police officer and starting a charity or something.
much nicer to not fight against a whole category of bullshit existing all around you, but instead avoid conflict and just focus on the positives in society.
it's more self-serving and not necessarily as helpful, but ya can hardly blame a person.

I'm not sure that "not being a police officer and starting a charity" is the metaphor you're looking for.  Most people have as much respect for good charities as they do for non-thuggish police officers, and the former are far more plentiful than the latter.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 11:53:02 PM »

Yeah, if that's what you think then I'd definitely suggest that you should start listening to Oddments. Go on a Field Trip if you can - he's just announced a trip to Africa. Actually have a conversation with him, and see what he's really like.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 11:55:49 PM »

When Dunning gets out do you all think he will he be sporting a "gangsta" prison tattoo? ;)

I think he's exactly the kind of person who would do exactly that. :D

I've met him, actually. He's a nice guy. A guy who made a mistake quite a few years ago that happened to be illegal. When he gets out he will have paid his debt to society.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 10:14:35 AM »
That's a pretty minimalist way of describing perpetrating and on going fraud. It's not like ops, he took the wrong exit off a highway or forgot to pay for something at the bottom of his cart. He demonstrated a complete lack of integrity and honesty two traits vital to a public skeptical figure. I really don't understand how anyone, epeacilly in the skeptically community can give him a pass or say it was a simple mistake. He is a convicted fraudster who stole millions and not only lied about it, but employed his family with his ill gotten gains. That is ethically gross and not to be so lightly glossed over. 

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 11:50:58 AM »
That's a pretty minimalist way of describing perpetrating and on going fraud. It's not like ops, he took the wrong exit off a highway or forgot to pay for something at the bottom of his cart. He demonstrated a complete lack of integrity and honesty two traits vital to a public skeptical figure. I really don't understand how anyone, epeacilly in the skeptically community can give him a pass or say it was a simple mistake. He is a convicted fraudster who stole millions and not only lied about it, but employed his family with his ill gotten gains. That is ethically gross and not to be so lightly glossed over.

You certainly killed that straw man dead dead dead.

No one is saying he should get a pass.  What they are saying is that he has served his debt to society.  It's almost like the christian idea of hell.  Forever damned, no redemption.
#non-belief denialist

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 12:19:48 PM »
What they are saying is that he has served his debt to society.

if you happen to be in agreement with the sentencing judge and the writers of the laws he had to act in accordance with.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 12:35:27 PM »

You certainly killed that straw man dead dead dead.

No one is saying he should get a pass.  What they are saying is that he has served his debt to society.  It's almost like the christian idea of hell.  Forever damned, no redemption.

Funny how white people get to pay their debt to society by by going to jail but people of colour get to keeping paying it by not being allow to vote or get a job or walk down the street without getting shot by a cop.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:39:44 PM by Kwisatz Haderach »

personate-rain