Author Topic: Name  (Read 22367 times)

Offline Paulhoff

• Seasoned Contributor
Name
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2006, 03:02:07 PM »
I changed my avatar for a short time if you want the picture.

Paul

:D  :D  :D
color=blue]"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein
Much worse than the Question not asked, is the Answer not Given. - mine
Never in the history of humankind, have so many, known so little, about so much.[/color]

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
Name
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2006, 03:25:52 PM »
Got it. Thanks Paul  :D
Bold ideas, unjustified anticipations, and speculative thoughts are our only means for interpreting nature... Those among us who are unwilling to expose their ideas to the hazard of refutation do not take part in the scientific game.    ---Karl Popper, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery"

Offline Paulhoff

• Seasoned Contributor
Name
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2006, 03:36:19 PM »
Your more then welcome.

Paul

:D  :D  :D
color=blue]"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein
Much worse than the Question not asked, is the Answer not Given. - mine
Never in the history of humankind, have so many, known so little, about so much.[/color]

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
Name
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2006, 05:40:18 AM »
Based on Steve's original concept of Event Horizon ...

Cosmological Horizon

I know it is not as punchy, but:

1.  I checked www.cosmologicalhorizon.com and it seems to be available, and,

2.  Reading up on the meaning does kind of suggest the concept he wants to get across.

Cosmological horizon

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In physical cosmology, a cosmological horizon marks a limit to observability, and marks the boundary of a region that an observer cannot see into directly due to cosmological effects.

The existence, properties, and significance of a cosmological horizon depend on the particular cosmological model being discussed.

In any case, it is interesting to note that the cosmological horizon is a maximal limit of perception and not an actual boundary. Much like an individual who is unable to see the edges of the Pacific Ocean while they are floating in the middle of it; we can only see the light from areas of space within the cosmological horizon.

This is sometimes referred to as the “observable universe”, and it has been said that the observable universe is many orders of magnitude smaller than the greater universe that lies beyond the limits of our perception.

Imagine if you will, that the entire cosmological horizon were reduced down to the size of quarter. If Alan Guth's inflationary model of early era cosmology is correct, the universe that lies beyond this “quarter sized” horizon would conservatively be as large as the earth itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_horizon

I don't know to what degree this idea will be associated with the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe, but there is a definite congruity there, and also a nice little unspoken association with the late great Carl Sagan and his series Cosmos.  

Furthermore, it also contains the word, "logical", which is another association with science and skepticism.

It breaks down into three pretty easy to understand words also:  "www.-cosmo-logical-horizon-.com"  So it's not as bad as it looks initially.

Stuff like this is my forte.  What do you think Doc?
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
Name
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2006, 06:03:15 AM »
Hmm ... The damn thing practically writes itself after that, the more I think about it ...

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
Name
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2006, 06:09:39 AM »
Quote from: "IRON MAN"
Hmm ... The damn thing practicly writes itself after that, the more I think about it ...

It's good, but it doesn't really "roll off the tongue".  How about "Logical Horizon"?
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
Name
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2006, 06:45:17 AM »
Yeah, you could be right, that advantage might outweigh some of the other factors I mentioned, and that name doesn't appear to be taken either.

Plus it lends itself a bit more to graphics that have to do with the Steve's profession.  I don't know whether he wanted to avoid giving the impression the site was exclusively about cosmology by using "space" imagery specifically, but in suggesting 'event horizon' well ...  

This kind of graphic might be misconstrued as woo-woo because of overuse of similar imagery by that crowd.

This is a pic I was working on for something else, but you get the concept.

At any rate, anyone who doesn't know about this particular site should find it useful for trying to figure out this kind of thing.

http://www.rhymezone.com/

You can get synonyms, antonyms, rhyming words, definitions, homophones and more at the click of a button.  It's quite a convenient little site to use actually.

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
Name
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2007, 09:21:13 PM »
So , whatever happened with this?
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline gweathers

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • http://lifeburns.com
Name
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2007, 09:53:29 PM »
I'm late but i'll say something anyway ;p

NothingAbsolute
quot;To be rational is to look the universe in the face and not flinch." - Anon~
"We apologise for the inconvenience" - God

personate-rain