Author Topic: CW's The Flash  (Read 8294 times)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
CW's The Flash
« on: April 22, 2015, 02:04:07 AM »
At first, I thought the show was mildly entertaining, but kind of formulaic and uncomplicated, but as the season has progressed they have really started to show some creative gumption and made me actually care about the characters despite some campy stuff here and there.  Right now, this along with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are my two must-watch shows every week.  Anyone else watching it?

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: CW's The Flash
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 03:58:06 AM »
It's my favorite comic show right now.  The Arrow crossovers aren't too shabby either. 
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 05:39:30 AM »
I really enjoy it. Pure entertainment and well-paced to boot. I am glad that they have pitched it as more of a family show than Arrow which is entirely inappropriate for my kids. My two eldest children also really enjoy The Flash. He is a nice superhero. Cisco is wicked. Harrison Wells is a fascinating creation.

My only gripe (and it is a big gripe TBH, a cringy facepalm of a gripe) is the gender roles of the characters. You comic fans will know this better than I but the DC approach to the portrayal of gender roles is pretty archaic. Felicity may be incredibly smart, Caitlin too, but they require saving frequently. They are so pretty (no bad thing) but they also talk about each other's appearance in a 'mainstream feminine' way. "Oh, you look so pretty tonight Iris!" "Oh, Felicity, thank you! Because my value is partly based on my attractiveness and not on any heroic characteristics I may display, unlike all the male characters!". The flip side is the male body worship found in Arrow, which I quite enjoy. Arrow is superfit. I am not gay, but if I was, wow. Hubba. Does that make me a hypocrite? Probably. I think I don't mind the superficial attractive stuff but it needs to be empowering and not reduce women to ornaments.

That said, I really like the women in the show. They have strength and intelligence. I just wish the writers would stop with the damsel in distress bullshit. It is a hard discussion to have with a nine year old girl.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:04:46 AM »
My friend and I have an agreement to only refer to Arrow as "Hunk"
Strange now you mention the workout stuff because they have done it alot less this season and I find myself missing it, even just the silly shooting drills he did! I like when shows display the hard work it takes for the hero to be awesome.

SO yes. Flash, love it! Love everything about it! Another example of being better than the source material and I find myself enjoying it more than most shows I watch.
Agreed that DC needs to pull its head out of its ass with gender roles. Aside from that, my only gripe is the ATOM suit. Its way too clunky and Ironmanesque. I just dont enjoy any scene with Routh in the suit.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 07:21:30 AM »
I believe Stephen Amell is what is called, "Man Pretty." 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 07:28:52 AM by J. Eastgate »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 07:30:32 AM »
I still remember all the stick-fighting scenes with him and Diggle. Wowee. 'The Hunk'. Like Burglar Bill said, I like it, I'll have that.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 01:32:22 PM »
Good Lord has this show gotten to be great.  It is the best non-tick superhero TV show so far, and fer sure in the top 3 shows this season. 

Last nights "The Trap" had me squeeing and gasping and laughing.  So good.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 04:02:03 PM »
I've been enjoying the flash quite a bit too, except for a few episodes with gasping wounds in the plot.

The women in Arrow are much tougher than in Flash - perhaps too much so. Every major character except for Felicity has being militarized or made combat ready.

Has Caitlin needed saving more than Joe or Cisco? Hrm. I feel like the characters on the Flash keep pulling each other out of the fire from all directions - except Iris. I don't like her much.

Oops. Voice rec misunderstood me!

dancing boobs in the plot
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:30:13 PM by brilligtove »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 04:23:23 PM »
The last episode was great! I love the implications of the time travel plot!
I thought it was weird that Ollies illegitimate son was whisked off to Central city when in the comics he is much older but with the whole weirdness in central city, there is every chance we could see an adult Conor Hawke.
Agreed about the difference between women but I dont need Caitlin to be a fighter to be cool, I would just like is she was tottering around on high heels and having wide eyes a lot less.
The thing that gets me in Arror is that everyone gets to become a badass in 6 weeks or so except Digg who was there from the start, began as a spec ops guy and trained with Ollie longer than anyone but....still lags behind even though he uses guns?

This last episode of Flash made me realise how much Ive gotten to like Eddie Thon. That guy is a good actor.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 04:31:42 PM »
I looove The Flash! Can't wait to see Grodd in his entirety.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 04:37:02 PM »
I looove The Flash! Can't wait to see Grodd in his entirety.
Yes!!
I keep forgetting that he is being teased! He will be an amazing villain!

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 05:41:43 PM »
Yeah, the last episode was something else!  I loved that Wells had been watching them all along and had been playing them for fools as they thought they were being secretive.  Really sets him up to be even more formidable than ever, and before this he was basically an unbeatable foe.  As for the lady characters, I agree they aren't that great in this show but bar none, the most nonsensical plot point is keeping Iris in the dark for her safety when her finding out would have kept her out of danger more often than in.  I think that's kind of crippled her character and she'd be a lot better if she knew.  It looks like they are about to move past that, but I thought the spark that clued her in was absurdly contrived and stupid.  On the balance though, I'm really looking forward to what's coming next and this show has done way more right than wrong.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 05:49:48 PM »
Its a problem in general with these shows that the tension of a secret identity can only last so long. Best to pull the band aid off early.

Offline Naturebox

• Off to a Start
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
I've been looking into starting this since I saw an episode got a rating of 9.9 or some such ridiculousness on IMDB. I looked it up and saw that Gorilla Grodd is coming up?

sold.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 09:31:04 PM »
I love how people waltz right into STAR Labs. No security protocol? No badge to get in? My only gripe about the show.

personate-rain
personate-rain