Author Topic: CW's The Flash  (Read 8293 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: CW's The Flash
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »
Last episode was fantastic.  Dick Wells is great, Crisco's plot is moving forward and the deliveries on, "Oh," and, "you're just a diiiiiick," were hilarious. 
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 01:23:32 PM »
Ooh, lookie here:

(click to show/hide)
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 02:43:30 PM »
I like this show, but dammit if they are not trapped into making Barry a big ole dummy, because otherwise the plot would be over way too fast.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2015, 03:20:15 PM »
I just watched the finale of season 1, and it is every bit as good and bad as the series. Fun to watch with nice relationships and twists and turns and writing SO STUPID SO STPOPOPPPPOID!

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Oddly enough, the thing that jumped out at me the most beyond this episode was when they had Caitlyn ask, "what's a singularity?"  Of all the others in the room, she's one of the LAST people who I'd expect to not know what a friggin' singularity with her scientific background.  Really took me out of the episode to the point where I had to rewind it to make sure it was actually her saying it and not Iris.

There was one other thing that irked me about this episode though:

(click to show/hide)

Other than those minor gripes, I was very happy with this episode and with having a true cliff hanger for a season ender.  Really good stuff and very entertaining.
In your last spoiler, thats actyally taken from the comics and it really bugged me there too.
 The current arc has it worse, with Zoom ir whoever going back into the past and recruiting and killing characters with abandon.
 But Flash cant do that.
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2015, 08:14:56 PM »
I'm an episode or two behind right now so labelled spoiler tags are much appreciated.

When the plot is driven by character flaws other than plot-stupid or plot-armour the show - any show - is better. For any show that isn't Sherlock it's fine for characters to miss things and struggle to figure them out, of course. The writers shouldn't leave viewers yelling "There! There! It's right there!" like we're watching Dora the Explorer.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2015, 01:44:50 PM »
I've just seen the first 2 episodes.  So far, meh.  The cast is way too young but I guess that's to expected of CW.   I appreciate that they cast the 90s flash as the new flash's father.

Oh yeah, everytime they mention sciency sounding stuff it just sound nonsensical.  What exactly are the main character's degrees in.  Biology/MD?  Electronics/materials/all other engineering?  The big boss mans specialty is physics I guess but where did his money come from.  This show really seems to believe that scientist = industrialist. 

One more thing, they say he's running at like 300mph when he's all blurry.  I can see airplanes just fine so why blurry at like half the speed of sound. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 01:48:19 PM by Ah.hell »

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2015, 02:21:50 PM »
If you want accurate science then a show about the flash is probably not for you.
Lots of your questions do get addressed later but "Generic scientist" is a trope you just have to put up with to watch this.
It has gotten really good though if you have any love for silver age DC comics. Its better than its source material which is rare in the genre.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »
I've just seen the first 2 episodes.  So far, meh.  The cast is way too young but I guess that's to expected of CW.   I appreciate that they cast the 90s flash as the new flash's father.

Oh yeah, everytime they mention sciency sounding stuff it just sound nonsensical.  What exactly are the main character's degrees in.  Biology/MD?  Electronics/materials/all other engineering?  The big boss mans specialty is physics I guess but where did his money come from.  This show really seems to believe that scientist = industrialist. 

One more thing, they say he's running at like 300mph when he's all blurry.  I can see airplanes just fine so why blurry at like half the speed of sound.

Dude, blurriness is what you question about a guy running at the speed of sound?

Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2015, 03:54:11 PM »
Its just something I noticed.   I think most of my complaints are of the variety I wouldn't have noticed if the show were otherwise entertaining enough to distract me.  I'd have been happier if they hadn't tried to be all SCIENCE!.

Also, the generic "scientist" is something of a pet peeve that's all over tv.  Hollywood only seems to understand that there's s difference between biology and physics and thinks any scientist or engineer can be plugged into one of those categories.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2015, 03:57:02 PM »

Well, when was the last time you saw an airplane flying at 300mph 10 meters away from you?
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2015, 07:30:15 PM »
Its just something I noticed.   I think most of my complaints are of the variety I wouldn't have noticed if the show were otherwise entertaining enough to distract me.  I'd have been happier if they hadn't tried to be all SCIENCE!.

Also, the generic "scientist" is something of a pet peeve that's all over tv.  Hollywood only seems to understand that there's s difference between biology and physics and thinks any scientist or engineer can be plugged into one of those categories.
I get what you are saying. But unfortunately its just impossible to do the flash without that and not annoy the piss out of fanboys. I would go as far as to say that Flash comics contributed to the overall cultural trope that made it so done to death!

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2015, 08:01:37 PM »

Yeah - its inane.  But whaddya gonna do?
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 11:13:37 PM »
Saw John Wesley Shipp's Flash and CBS's Supergirl as they ran through the breech.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2016, 01:01:02 AM »
Saw John Wesley Shipp's Flash and CBS's Supergirl as they ran through the breech.

Woah... Missed that first part.  That crossover would be epic!

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2016, 01:31:43 AM »
That was a rollicking good episode.  Bad vibes was having a ball being a baddie.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

personate-rain