Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 57198 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #465 on: October 05, 2019, 10:52:36 AM »
Alma Deutcher at nine years old. When a nine-year-old can play the piano like this, it is amazing. When she not only plays, but has composed the piece herself, it is beyond amazing. It is flabbergasting! She also composed a violin concerto and personally orchestrated all the parts. And played the solo violin part in performance. Also an opera, and a number of other works. Performing a Bach violin concerto her performance is not the best I've heard, but she was 9 or 10 years old at the time, and that she could play it at all (and she did very well) is mind-boggling.

Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #466 on: October 05, 2019, 11:03:40 AM »
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #467 on: October 22, 2019, 08:10:18 PM »
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #468 on: October 22, 2019, 08:40:46 PM »
I've been watching/listening to Cinderella, the opera by the above-mentioned Alma Deutscher, on BlyRay. There's no way to post the whole opera, but here's an excerpt:

The composer (13 years old when this was filmed) is playing the violin off-stage. Did you get that? She composed the entire opera between the ages of 8 and 12 and performs the violin solo parts for the performance. She also orchestrated all the parts. She had help with the libretto. Few if any composers write their own librettos.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #469 on: October 26, 2019, 07:40:16 PM »
I've been watching/listening to Cinderella, the opera by the above-mentioned Alma Deutscher, on BlyRay. There's no way to post the whole opera, but here's an excerpt:

The composer (13 years old when this was filmed) is playing the violin off-stage. Did you get that? She composed the entire opera between the ages of 8 and 12 and performs the violin solo parts for the performance. She also orchestrated all the parts. She had help with the libretto. Few if any composers write their own librettos.

I’m going to have to put her on my list.  There’s not much of her music on Spotify.  One or two selections from ‘Cinderella,’ and a few other things.  She seems an unusual contemporary composer who is putting ‘melody’ back into music.  I’ve been to a few concerts recently which have included world premieres of Australian composers, which I never want to hear again.

There are some ‘good’ contemporary composers, such as Philip Glass (although many people hate him with a passion).

I’m currently listening to a collection of Bach cantatas, but I’ll swap to Deutscher when I get home from walking the dog.

The brilliance of Richard Wagner was that he wrote the librettos and composed the music too.  I reckon Wagner is the apotheosis of music.  No one has come close to him.  I went to Verdi’s ‘MacBeth’ last night, which was good, but no where as good as Wagner at his worst ( although I’d probably still be there waiting for Wagner to have MacBeth kill Duncan if he’d done a ‘MacBeth’ too.  He takes a long time to have nothing much happen in his operas).
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #470 on: October 26, 2019, 09:12:04 PM »
^ From your screen name I'd have thought you'd regard Bach as the high point of music. I certainly do. I don't care for Wagner at all. But my taste in music is limited.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #471 on: October 27, 2019, 12:09:58 AM »
^ From your screen name I'd have thought you'd regard Bach as the high point of music. I certainly do. I don't care for Wagner at all. But my taste in music is limited.

My taste in music has changed over the years.  I regard Handel higher than Bach, though Bach is still pretty good.  But Wagner... a year without a Ring Cycle is a wasted year.

Alma Deutscher... she’s a prodigy, her music is OK.  I thought her piano sonata has traces of Bach.  I don’t know how she’ll develop.  Mozart at the same age wasn’t composing music that gets played much, not because it isn’t good, but there was much better to come.  Comparing her to Mozart is a little unfair.  Mozart composed his 5 violin concertos over 3 years from 17 to 20, and all 5 get frequently performed.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #472 on: October 27, 2019, 09:34:27 AM »

My taste in music has changed over the years.  I regard Handel higher than Bach, though Bach is still pretty good.  But Wagner... a year without a Ring Cycle is a wasted year.

Alma Deutscher... she’s a prodigy, her music is OK.  I thought her piano sonata has traces of Bach.  I don’t know how she’ll develop.  Mozart at the same age wasn’t composing music that gets played much, not because it isn’t good, but there was much better to come.  Comparing her to Mozart is a little unfair.  Mozart composed his 5 violin concertos over 3 years from 17 to 20, and all 5 get frequently performed.

Deutscher is indeed a prodigy. She's also intelligent beyond her years. Comparing her to Mozart is idiotic: The only thing they have in common is that Mozart was also a child prodigy. When asked what she thought of the comparison, she pointed out how their music is different, and concluded, "I'm not a little Mozart. I'm a little Alma." Her music is not as good as Bach or Vivaldi or even Mozart, but it is delightful. In a world where "composers" call it "music" when they make ugly sounds, it's refreshing when a composer, and one who is just a child, writes music that is pleasing.

Her playing, also, is not as good as some child prodigies. But it is still amazing. I don't think she will become a great violinist, but she is already good enough to perform the solos in her own compositions. It will be very interesting to see how she develops. To me her music sometimes sounds like the Classical period, and sometimes like the Romantic. My wish would be that as she matures she writes music that is more like the Baroque.

I will admit that half of what I enjoyed about Cinderella was the story itself, and her own twist on the traditional tale. She was 12 years old when she finished it, including orchestrating all the parts. She was 13 when she performed the violin, piano, and organ solos in the performance on the disc, and 14 now.

By comparison, Hilary Hahn was, I think, 15 or 16 when she recorded her first album of Bach, including what I (and some others) feel is the most brilliant performance ever recorded of the most sublime movement ever written, the Chaconne from the second Bach violin partita. Now available on YouTube:

To paraphrase herself, I don't think Alma will ever be another Hilary, but she will definitely be herself, and a breath of fresh air in a music tradition that has stagnated.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #473 on: October 30, 2019, 08:08:13 PM »
This needs no explanation:

Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #474 on: November 10, 2019, 06:57:45 PM »

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #475 on: November 19, 2019, 07:09:25 PM »
On the subject of music I like that's not Bach (from another thread) YouTube recently offered me this, and I quite like it:

This one I actually remembered from way back and looked it up:

And this:

I also really like old-time Gospel:

Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #476 on: November 26, 2019, 12:01:28 AM »
My new favorite harpsichordist:

Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #477 on: November 26, 2019, 01:17:43 AM »
Griselda Records. Westside Gunn, Conway and Benny the Butcher.

Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #478 on: November 26, 2019, 02:41:28 AM »

this is insane

I like this one better.

SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #479 on: November 26, 2019, 02:44:57 AM »
My favorite edm song. Very self-referential.