Author Topic: Pepsi switching aspartame to Splenda (IOW: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!)  (Read 15139 times)

Offline andy o

• Not Enough Spare Time
Pepsi switching aspartame to Splenda (IOW: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!)
« on: April 28, 2015, 09:53:57 PM »
Damn you aspartame haters.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/04/pepsi-switches-to-splenda/391535/

PepsiCo announced last week that it's replacing the aspartame in Diet Pepsi with sucralose, the sweetener marketed under the brand name Splenda.

Goddamit, does suclarose suuuuuuuck.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Pepsi switching aspartame to Splenda (IOW: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 10:26:36 PM »
It does taste a little different but I will get used to it. . . .I thought there was a diet Pepsi "type" already that used sucralose
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline andy o

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 11:05:20 PM »
It does taste a little different but I will get used to it. . . .I thought there was a diet Pepsi "type" already that used sucralose
I don't think so... I can only think of Diet Pepsi and its variants (caffeine free, cherry, etc.) and Pepsi One, and Pepsi Max (twice the caffeine). AFAIR they're all aspartame-based.

I'm basing my judgement of suclarose from the packets though, that's probably a more isolated test. Although all this time I thought Diet Coke was suclarose and Coke Zero was aspartame and that's why I liked Zero better, but both use aspartame, so I'll have to see if it's really that bad.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 12:12:02 AM »
For me, within a week diet Pepsi tasted no different than regular Pepsi. . . .I suspect that even if there is some slight difference, I will adapt.  >:D
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 12:14:35 AM »
Coke Zero uses a couple different artificial sweeteners whereas Diet Coke if memory serves only uses aspartame. Personally I prefer Diet Coke to Coke Zero but I am a weirdo when it comes to diet soft drinks. (note: plx do not strike out the bit that starts with "when" k thx)
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 02:03:52 AM »
Wow, the bit that caught my eye is that Pepsi Max has more caffeine than regular Pepsi. Here they really only advertise the "no sugar" angle and no reference to the caffeine levels in the beverage.

While it's not "double" here in Australia, it does appear to have about 15% more caffeine than regular Pepsi. I have no reason to suspect that's a harmful increase.

ETA - it appears that Pepsi Max and Diet Pepsi have a comparable caffeine content here in Australia. Both have about 15% more than regular Pepsi.

"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Offline andy o

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 03:11:06 AM »
I'm pretty sure it was double here in the U.S., but you know what they say about memory...

Edit: yeah http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsi_Max_(North_America).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:13:29 AM by andy o »

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 03:15:59 AM »
And the Food Bimbo fells another windmill.

What an asshole.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 09:46:38 AM »
it's only a matter of time before they go after sucralose though right?

PS  I think sucralose tastes like crap and I like coke zero better than diet coke. 
What I really hate are the low calorie yogurts that are made with sucralose.  They taste horrible.  I actually did a blind taste test just to make sure it was not confirmation bias and the difference was extremely obvious. 
Ironically,  last year in the new york times I read a long article about how the yogurt industry was working  night and day to perfect their low sugar formula and the food reps were so darn smug about the great job they did.  Based on the final results, their initial batches must have tasted like battery acid.
Second irony, the low calorie yogurt only has somewhat less calories. It is totally not worth it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:53:18 AM by superdave »
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline helvetica

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 11:36:03 AM »
Watch, the next sweetener under scrutiny will be sucralose.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 11:55:40 AM »
Coke Zero is the product that turned me from being a Diet Pepsi drinker.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline andy o

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 01:02:05 PM »
Watch, the next sweetener under scrutiny will be sucralose.

All right, let's get this thing started before they totally kill aspartame. To Facebook!

Coke Zero is the product that turned me from being a Diet Pepsi drinker.

I could do either, but I can regularly get Pepsi products at either 88c or 99c a 2L bottle (have to buy 6 or 4 at a time, respectively, but that's no problem at all). Coke products rarely are below $1.50 or so where I live. With the amount I buy, it adds up.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 02:35:54 PM »
I love Cherry Pepsi Max, love, love love it.

I am also a huge fan of Coke Zero.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 03:06:30 PM »
Just lurking this thread, but my (our) low calorie (and only, really) soda treat is Soda Stream with a slice of lemon, or not.  Everything in the system is reusable and very inexpensive.  And we love it.  The one litre plastic bottles have a use by date some years in the future.  Our old ones are great to freeze raw milk.

We hated the endless stream of waste plastic we generated buying from the soda water supermarket more than the expense.  Those bottles do make some nice, inexpensive fleece jackets, though.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Online uolj

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 04:03:38 PM »
Coke Zero uses a couple different artificial sweeteners whereas Diet Coke if memory serves only uses aspartame. Personally I prefer Diet Coke to Coke Zero but I am a weirdo

I prefer Diet Coke as well. I wish I knew why, though. There aren't really the proper words available in English to describe the difference. Coke Zero has a deeper(?) flavor or is less fake sweet(?) than Diet Coke? I have no idea.

personate-rain