Author Topic: DCTVU: Supergirl  (Read 5682 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
DCTVU: Supergirl
« on: May 13, 2015, 10:19:13 PM »

I figure this covers the entire first episode in 6 minutes. I also figure it will be worth watching. Wadda youse peepl tink?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: DCTVU: Supergirl
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:13:26 PM »
I don't know... seems like someone really wanted to mix a super hero show with The Devil Wears Prada.  I mean, I really enjoyed Lois and Clark when I was a teen and that was basically a romantic comedy so maybe this will be OK too, but nothing in the trailer really grabbed me.  Also, what's with Supergirl asking for permission to stop bad guys?  From a man no less.  Seems kinda wonky.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:28:27 PM »
That looked like coming of age / shrugging off repression to me. Also a blunt instrument, as was everything else in the preview. I'm optimistic, but not wildly so.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 12:20:09 AM »
That looked like coming of age / shrugging off repression to me. Also a blunt instrument, as was everything else in the preview. I'm optimistic, but not wildly so.

No, I get it, but when did Clark Kent ever ask anyone to stop bad guys?  He just burst on the scene already doing his thing.  IDK, without context it's really hard to judge accurately, but it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 12:20:58 AM »
The "I embrace my hidden identity by exposing it without shame" trope is a lot more refreshing than the Hidden Identity superhero trope. Although I don't know if she is going to actually just live as supergirl and forgo the civilian identity, looks like she might.

Although the trailer is following the glasses and unstyled hair brand of "disguise".

I think the devil wears prada thing is just a point of contrast "Oooo, look at where supergirl started out,a lowly abused assistant,  and look at where she is now".

Also, nit pick, Superman actors usually act restrained, like the world to them is made of toilet paper. But This actress doesn't, she acts totally normal as "the girl" and . She accidentally bumps into someone in a crowd, she should of at least separated a shoulder with her super strength.

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 02:24:45 AM »
Is that Calista Flockhart?

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 02:28:36 AM »

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 09:43:12 AM »

No, I get it, but when did Clark Kent ever ask anyone to stop bad guys?  He just burst on the scene already doing his thing.  IDK, without context it's really hard to judge accurately, but it just rubbed me the wrong way.

It depends on the continuity you're looking at. In a lot of the more detailed origin tales of Superman he is very reluctant or restricted in the use of his powers. The latest movies, for example. The current trend seems to be heroes have to go through an angsty conflicted phase before assuming their real power. I'm starting to tire of it, myself, so if Supergirl can deal with all that in one episode and get ON with it I will be very happy.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 10:40:03 AM »
I mostly like that it looks like a new/different take on the capes genre.  The show isn't Superman with boobs - it's something different.  "You don't see Superman/Clark doing X" is a feature, not a bug.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 10:49:52 AM »
I mostly like that it looks like a new/different take on the capes genre.  The show isn't Superman with boobs - it's something different.  "You don't see Superman/Clark doing X" is a feature, not a bug.

Looks like instead of, "Generic Heroics from someone manly," or, "- from a manly girl," it's, "Generic Heroics from someone girly." 
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 11:00:27 AM »
And we all win!

(I probably won't watch it, but I've mostly stopped watching TV anyway)
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 09:03:57 AM »
I loved the trailer.
Kara has more characterization and depth by the end of the trailer than the new Spiderman has after 2 movies. 

A big difference between superman and supergirl, besides the whole man Vs girl thing, is that Kara left Krypton when she was much older.  She's spent time as a normal non super powered person, whereas superman was effectively born with superpowers.  So reacting to her powers and responsibility to use them to help people differently than superman makes perfect sense to me.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:09:55 AM by superdave »

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 09:03:24 AM »
So, the Pilot leaked online and I just watched it, and...
(click to show/hide)
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 09:25:19 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Awesome!  I was hoping it was just a matter of poor trailer making.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Awesome!  I was hoping it was just a matter of poor trailer making.
People are saying that DC/CBS leaked it BECAUSE of the bad reactions to the trailer.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

personate-rain
personate-rain