Author Topic: DCTVU: Supergirl  (Read 6098 times)

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: DCTVU: Supergirl
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 09:35:25 AM »
I think SNL parody (which I've heard rumors about not being a coincidence...) really poisoned the well on that trailer.

If I was making a show about a person who is coming into her own and embracing their true self, showing them initially as a mousy unconfident person leading to a final reveal of a badass superhero is exactly the most logical way to do it.

In fact what I really liked about the trailer was that Kara seems like a normal person. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »
These "accidental leaks" are getting a lot more common, like for every popular DC movie and show

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 09:51:47 AM »
So, the Pilot leaked online and I just watched it, and...
(click to show/hide)

Awesome!  I was hoping it was just a matter of poor trailer making.
People are saying that DC/CBS leaked it BECAUSE of the bad reactions to the trailer.

Yeah, I was just thinking that.  I think the Deadpool test footage "leak" turning into a full movie gave a lot of people ideas.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 11:22:30 AM »
That woman can beam adorableness, but I feel like I'm 15 years older than the target audience.  And they had General Aunt say, "niece," too many times.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 02:31:11 PM »
Well, now that ive seen the leak

A lot of the cringy moments from the trailer are a lot less cringy in context. Still cringy though, not too bad. I dunno, its something to have on the TV as background noise, but not really something to look forward to week by week. It was pretty predictable, and it seems to have a good base to produce a season or two off of
(click to show/hide)
, but it doesn't seem interested in doing anything unique or special.

I am biased though, I never found superman to be a compelling character, he sort of seems like the person who made him stopped half way through his creation and didn't bother to give him any interesting characteristics. And what looks like a lazy female re-skinning of the character seem even more boring to me.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 02:52:17 PM »

I am biased though, I never found superman to be a compelling character, he sort of seems like the person who made him stopped half way through his creation and didn't bother to give him any interesting characteristics.

You've been reading/watching the wrong Supermans then. It's a tired argument that's often made by people who don't really know Superman or think Superman is the contrived old Reeves movie version.
Read "All-star Superman" or "Birthright". Man of Steel was also great in my book.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 03:10:41 PM »
Saw the "leak" too.  It was alright and better than I expected, but nothing special.  As with most superheroes, it bugged me that she has all these built in fighting skills that came out of nowhere.  Also, I didn't really like the fight scenes as they didn't sell the super powered nature of them very well IMO.  Given her powers they had, they were remarkably slow and weak and it just annoyed me. 

There were some redeeming aspects, and it was a little fun so I will keep watching it for now.  We'll see.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 05:04:27 PM »

I am biased though, I never found superman to be a compelling character, he sort of seems like the person who made him stopped half way through his creation and didn't bother to give him any interesting characteristics.

You've been reading/watching the wrong Supermans then. It's a tired argument that's often made by people who don't really know Superman or think Superman is the contrived old Reeves movie version.
Read "All-star Superman" or "Birthright". Man of Steel was also great in my book.

Ive read lots of justice league comics before, and I always found superman to be the least interesting, watched old animated series superman, I haven't even seen the Reeves movies. Ill read the ones you recommended, perhaps they will give me a perspective I haven't seen before.

The origin of superman, and the reasoning behind his powers, I like, but the execution of them, I haven't seen anything that was really compelling before.

But I will read on and get back to you. 

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 05:16:27 PM »
Relevant to "what's the deal with Superman".  Warning, Max Landis can be a bit polarizing - I'm fascinated by him personally.

Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 06:30:45 PM »
Relevant to "what's the deal with Superman".  Warning, Max Landis can be a bit polarizing - I'm fascinated by him personally.

I was lucky enough to see his Superman rants on Twitter in real time and it was a delight. Superman is important because of his humanity, not his superpowers, and that's what most people seem to overlook.
Landis drives the point home, albeit in a bit of an over dramatization and I kind of disagree with him on Man of Steel, but he seems to understand the character and care for it more than most.

Sent from my Nexus 7

"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 09:48:24 PM »
So just watched the pilot.

Aside from normal piloty problems (e.g. too much stuff stuffed into too little time and too much exposition) I liked it.  It was basically Buffy * 1000.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 09:17:21 PM »
It's not femsploitation, but it's so heavy handed.  Just not my thing.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 09:03:39 AM »
I watched the 1st episode the other night.  It was ok. 

My daughter, who is 3, loved it (I previewed it 1st and knew where to skip the more violent parts).  She's being Supergirl for Halloween this year, so when she saw all the previews it was on her radar and we had to pvr it.

Not helping the situation since 1979.

Offline Muriel

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • My personal blog and homepage
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 09:31:55 AM »
Are they tying this show into the DC cinematic universe (Batman vs Superman, Gotham, Flash, Arrow) in the same way that Marvel ties "Agents of SHIELD" into their universe, or is this more of a standalone show?
"Anything one man can imagine,
other men can make real."
- Jules Verne

Online brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 09:59:40 AM »
It isn't completely clear how closely the TV shows will connect, last I read. It is standalone for now at least. The DC Cinematic universe - the movies - are a separate continuity from the TV shows. Flash, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow do have a single continuity, however. Supergirl is on a different network, so that could be part of the issue. Not sure when Gotham is supposed to have taken place, either.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain
personate-rain