Author Topic: DCTVU: Supergirl  (Read 5693 times)

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
Re: DCTVU: Supergirl
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 10:12:35 AM »
The DC television universe is officially disconnected from the cinematic universe.
As for the television universes' interplay, Arrow and Flash share a universe (along with the cancelled Constantine who'll appear on Arrow later this season), Supergirl is in its own universe for legal issues mostly (it's by the same Flash/Arrow production team but a different network) and I'm not sure about Gotham because I can't be assed to watch it.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2015, 10:25:53 AM »
The DC television universe is officially disconnected from the cinematic universe.
As for the television universes' interplay, Arrow and Flash share a universe (along with the cancelled Constantine who'll appear on Arrow later this season), Supergirl is in its own universe for legal issues mostly (it's by the same Flash/Arrow production team but a different network) and I'm not sure about Gotham because I can't be assed to watch it.

Isn't the CW a sister station of CBS? So why can't Supergirl be in the same universe as The Flash and Arrow? I think it would be pretty damn awesome if they did.  :)

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2015, 10:27:12 AM »

Isn't the CW a sister station of CBS? So why can't Supergirl be in the same universe as The Flash and Arrow? I think it would be pretty damn awesome if they did.  :)

I'm not sure, to be honest, all I know is that they talked about it and the lawyers told them no.
Also, Supergirl acknowledges (and names) Superman, whereas Flash/Arrow clearly haven't.
–Maimonides

Offline Boßel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 12:20:53 PM »

I'm not sure, to be honest, all I know is that they talked about it and the lawyers told them no.
Also, Supergirl acknowledges (and names) Superman, whereas Flash/Arrow clearly haven't.

That's true.

Have either shows flash/arrow ever mentioned Gotham or Metropolis? I know The Flash briefly mentioned a pilot who went missing, while at Ferris Aircraft. Which eluded to The Green Lantern.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 12:49:09 PM »
You also briefly see a pilot named "Jordan" in an Arrow flashback in Coast City, and there's even a Harley Queen un-named cameo!
–Maimonides

Offline Boßel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 02:51:25 PM »
You also briefly see a pilot named "Jordan" in an Arrow flashback in Coast City, and there's even a Harley Queen un-named cameo!

I forgot about the Harley Quinn cameo and never noticed the pilot.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 03:24:48 PM »

It was very recent, Season 4 premiere:

–Maimonides

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2015, 02:30:48 AM »
About 2 years ago, I stopped using my DVR in favor of Hulu for network shows.  Unfortunately, Hulu doesn't carry this show -- and the CBS "channel" on Apple TV is subscriber-only.  I refuse to pay CBS for just their programming.

Apparently, the show can be streamed so I might try to bump it from my iPad to my TV... but that's annoying as hell.

Oh, well, tonight I watched this week's Gotham and Agents of Shield instead.  Suck it, CBS.
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2015, 10:19:59 AM »
Hal made an off screen appearance on The Flash too at the end of last season.  Considering that they've already started working on a Flash movie with completely different actors, I think it's pretty clearly separate at this point though with multiple universes being a plot point in this season of Flash (including meeting an alternate Flash already) they have an in universe way to explain it all and have them meet up at some point if they ever wanted to. 

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2015, 11:07:55 AM »
So the internet seems pretty polarized with people loving or hating the show, but I found it to be a decent pilot with enough to excite me about future episodes.  It needs to improve to keep me watching though. 
the most obvious comparisons here are with Buffy and Lois and Clark, but this show at least seems to kick the crap out of both of those in terms of acting talent and effects budget, so there is that core to work with.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2015, 11:46:05 AM »
Im going to try once more to watch the pilot, but I love that theres a comicbook show I dont like, because it seems like a sign that demographics other than mine are being brought in to love the things I love.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2015, 03:11:09 PM »
About 2 years ago, I stopped using my DVR in favor of Hulu for network shows.  Unfortunately, Hulu doesn't carry this show -- and the CBS "channel" on Apple TV is subscriber-only.  I refuse to pay CBS for just their programming.

Apparently, the show can be streamed so I might try to bump it from my iPad to my TV... but that's annoying as hell.

Oh, well, tonight I watched this week's Gotham and Agents of Shield instead.  Suck it, CBS.

Or you could get an eyepatch, a wooden leg and a hook hand.
–Maimonides

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2015, 03:15:26 PM »
The only one thing that REALLY bothered me about the show (there were a few tiny other things that aren't permanent so I give them a pass) is that they made Jimmy Olson a HUNK.
Not only is Jimmy (or "James") Olson not directly an integral part of the Supergirl mythos (he's strictly a Superman character), he has NEVER EVER been portrayed as something other than a scrawny kid with a good heart. The whole point of his character was to represent the "Little Timmy" archetype of the fifties - and while that archetype isn't relevant anymore anyways, the character remained quirky and weird and kinda nerdy in a good way in almost all recent iterations (he was even a cross-dressed in one, which was amusing yet normalizing and strangely charming). Making him a hunky, manly-man possible love interest in this series REALLY bothered the heck out of me. Not only that, he's in on her secret identity because Superman sent him to mentor her?! What the crap is that all about?
–Maimonides

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2015, 03:31:37 PM »
Edit: I probably should read/watch more before commenting.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 03:35:06 PM by 2397 »

Offline fonebone

• don't want a pickle
  • Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2015, 03:33:16 PM »

It was very recent, Season 4 premiere:

They also use an airfield called "Ferris Airfield" in the Flash.  They mention that the airfield was shut down after one of the test pilots went missing.