Author Topic: mjolnir  (Read 2570 times)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
mjolnir
« on: May 18, 2015, 10:43:23 PM »
I guess this is art.

it frustrated me when I looked around a while back for a mjolnir pendant - none were of a shape or design I really felt strongly about. and I found it just as hard to find cool mjolnir drawings on google to suggest to anyone who actually makes them.
so, with my ample free time I've finally gotten around to e-doodling a few variations full of stolen motifs

frosty lookin' one. first one I tried. wanted to make it look like it was under ice, but couldn't figure out how to get a glassy reflective look.

I was keeping it all fairly pagan/Euro, but I thought the yin/yang was a suitable touch for the other motifs: a heart that looks a little scuffed up, and the web of fate above it. background kinda looked like rain when I did a blue tint, but I love pink, so I just kept the back and made the white dot kinda moon-ish

style inspired by the 'shieldknot' design in the centre. going for an old wooden shield look. seemed appropriately warlike to put the triplehorn of Odin on there. also tried metal and stone looks, but couldn't get a texture that felt right.

this is the same one, but painted in blood, under a poorly done night sky with Odin's horn above.

an earthy one... weaving plantesque design, and if you stare into it, you can see it's a kolovrat (pagan sun symbol) shining above (I'm probably happier about how that turned out than anything else, though I do love the red/pink sheen on the heart one). probably the most appropriate use of the irminsul pillar (a tree) that I put in all the designs.

I found an awesome circular design of yggdrasil (the world tree) on google ages back, so I'll probably re-do this using that since that's a perfect centerpiece for this style finish (much better than the trinity knot used here). haven't finished the design, but it would be sumn like this
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:52:27 AM by GodSlayer »
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: mjolnir
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 07:05:10 AM »
Have you ever seen Icelandic magical staves?  They're in a similar vein and some are pretty cool.  I'm rather partial to this one:

Angurgapi

Carved on the ends of barrels to prevent leaking.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »
Have you ever seen Icelandic magical staves?  They're in a similar vein and some are pretty cool. 

yep!
I'm designing 8 mjolnirs for some workout bars I've half made, and also want symbols for those circles on top, and will definitely be using the 'helm of awe' for one of them :)
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 04:34:25 PM »
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 05:27:05 PM »

lol I don't remember that scene.

I do remember some dude on a podcast butchering 'Yggdrasil', though. he said 'yag-druh-zil' ::shakes head::

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 05:38:26 PM »

lol I don't remember that scene.

I do remember some dude on a podcast butchering 'Yggdrasil', though. he said 'yag-druh-zil' ::shakes head::

It even had a callback in the sequel:

"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

personate-rain
personate-rain