Author Topic: Good Sci-Fi?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Bangor the Dark

• Brand New
Good Sci-Fi?
« on: May 25, 2015, 04:55:44 AM »
Hi guys. First post on the forum, and I waste it on fiction. Heh. Oh well, one has to have some entertainment, right?

Since I was a kid I have loved science - and science fiction. For the last few years I have not read very much for pleasure compared to what I used to, I have been enrolled in a 5 year integrated master in bio-nanotechnology (Making me a scientific generalist with expertise focused on the size domain 1-100 nm), and am currently working on my PhD. During the last six years in academia I have for the most part focused on other non-fiction literature. Now that I would like to read a little fiction again I find that with my current expertise in physics, chemistry and so on I find most science fiction horrendously annoying - much of what is suggested in the books is simply not believable or very clearly outright impossible or at the very least extremely impractical. I find this to be unfortunate, as I love to read and would really appreciate good books to sink my teeth into whenever I have the time after long days at the lab.

Some sci-fi is excellent. Like Andrew Weirr's "The Martian".  But it seems a little difficult to navigate the (fiction) literature for well written fictional books with sound scientific basis. Hence this post. Does anyone have some suggestions?
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent"
- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
Re: Good Sci-Fi?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:41:41 AM »
If you want a book that cleverly deals with the "technology jump" problem common in science fiction, I enjoyed reading Spin by Robert Charles Wilson.  Except the one major plot twist involves some implausible bio-nanotechnology, so good luck with that.   ;)

My problem is that there seems to be a wealth of hard sci-fi available if you really look for it, but the characters tend to be incredibly bland and forgettable.

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 10:45:23 AM »
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9951.best_hard_science_fiction#1126719

Can't vouch for any of these except the 2 we've already mentioned.  And Asimov, which suffers from the character development problem that I can't stand.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 11:58:43 AM »
Totally on board with this thread.  It seems like every time a try a new author I'm disappointed.  The exception being James Corey's Expanse series.   

You might like Kim Robinson's Mars books.  A series about the colonization and terraforming of mars and various political systems and infighting that develop. 

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 12:26:07 PM »
:munch:
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 12:39:25 PM »
Lots of good content in a similar thread a few lines down here:

http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,42897.0.html

(Including a :munch: from our friend PANTS! lol)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 02:04:56 PM »
Iain M Banks Culture series is just fantastic. I have had visceral reactions from his writing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture

I also really enjoyed Margaret Atwood's science fiction novels, The Handmaid's Tale and the Oryx and Crake Trilogy, especially the first novel, The Year of the Flood.

I also really enjoyed the first two books of The Expanse, I wasn't as keen on the next two, but I will give the third a try, and of course, there are a few classics, like Dune and A Canticle for Liebowitz.

personate-rain
personate-rain