Author Topic: TV trouble shooting help  (Read 594 times)

Offline Galactus

• Off to a Start
TV trouble shooting help
« on: May 31, 2015, 06:27:03 PM »
  I have a 60 inch Vizio LED tv that suddenly developed a single horizontal line about 6 inches from the bottom. The line is dark black on the right and fades to white on the left. Any ideas of causes or fixes would be greatly appreciated.
From any finite collection of facts one may construct an infinite number of theories, and the probability approaches zero that any one of them is true.      - Michael Flynn

Offline Smooth

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: TV trouble shooting help
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 12:39:28 PM »
I have fixed many devices by replacing bad capacitors.  I fixed out big Samsung flat panel, Netgear ethernet switches, PSU units this way.  When caps are dying, various symptoms can occur intermittently or gradually worse until the unit no longer works properly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

You can open your set and check for bulging caps.  While you are in there, you could try disconnecting/connecting the panel harness a few times to establish a solid connection again.  A tuner cleaner solution can aid with this.

If you find bad or dying caps, you can usually buy replacements on Amazon, Electronics Goldmine, etc.  When you buy a replacement cap, you must match the resistance, but can over voltage a little bit.

I hope this helps!

Offline andy o

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: TV trouble shooting help
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 10:37:35 PM »
Before opening the TV I would check for warranty repair/exchange. If it was bought from Costco unless they changed their policy, I think they allow a very long return window.

personate-rain