Author Topic: Episode #518  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #518
« on: June 13, 2015, 11:29:04 AM »
Forgotten Superheroes of Science: Chien Shiug Wu; News Items: Implantable Electrodes, Biolimbs, Tredinnick Pseudoscience, Darpa Robotics Challenge; Who’s That Noisy; Special Report: Memento Mori; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Online Sawyer

• Well Established
Re: Episode #518
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 05:35:42 PM »
Probably should post this in the correct episode, but I just heard Jay's WTN Edison clip on NPR today:

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/13/414239794/edison-talking-doll-will-be-displayed-at-smithsonian

Now are we completely sure the SGU isn't psychic?

EDIT:  Just noticed the story was originally aired a month ago.  So much for Jay setting the national news agenda.   :(
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 05:38:36 PM by Sawyer »

Offline Scud422

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 09:49:01 PM »

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 08:59:44 AM »

Now are we completely sure the SGU isn't psychic?

If they were the lawsuit would have been paid off with the JREF prize money.

Offline Hermagoras

• Brand New
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 05:37:17 AM »
Interesting stuff on the memento mori photographs.  Could the show notes include some links to these photos?  Not to be grisly, but it would be interesting to follow along during that discussion.

Steve and others might want to look at the classic book Wisconsin Death Trip by Michael Lesy, which has a lot of these kinds of photographs.  In fact, it (re)introduced the concept of the memento mori photograph well before the internet.  It will blow your mind.

Offline RickK

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 08:47:27 AM »
Who was the guest "rogue" on this episode?  Asia [somebody]?  I can't find her name in the show notes.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away"  -- Phillp K. Dick

Offline RickK

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 06:40:04 AM »
Ah, found her name in a prior episode - Aija Moon, owner of a medical marijuana dispensary in Vancouver.  She really should be listed in the show notes. 
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away"  -- Phillp K. Dick

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 08:55:14 PM »
Ah, found her name in a prior episode - Aija Moon, owner of a medical marijuana dispensary in Vancouver.  She really should be listed in the show notes.

Yep. She should.  And that was the podcast I wondered if SGU was interviewing or trying out new talent.  She was pretty silent for much of the podcast.  It threw me off a bit.
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

personate-rain
personate-rain