Author Topic: Why does the SGU recommed The God Delusion and God Is Not Great?  (Read 10149 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Among the SGU recommended books you can find The God Delusion and God Is Not Great.

Given that the rogues typically distance their skeptical activism from atheism quite a bit (there is a wall between skepticism and atheism, but it is very porous), I wonder how come that they recommend these books.

I'm not saying they should not recommend these books (quite the contrary), I'm just asking how it squares with that they usually distance themselves from atheism.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Why does the SGU recommed The God Delusion and God Is Not Great?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 02:01:22 PM »
They don't 'distance' themselves from atheism.  That's just not what the show is about.  You should read some of Dr. Novella's writing on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#non-belief denialist

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 02:25:15 PM »
Because whoever made that list just picked a handful of authors that were popular in the skeptical community several years ago, and added a few books from each?

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 04:00:29 PM »
Maybe they actually recommended books that they liked and found useful?  There's a thought.

#non-belief denialist

Offline Crash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Dogspeed John Glenn.
    • What I do for fun
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 06:33:32 PM »
The Skeptical culture did kind of ignore the elephant in the room for a long time.  Randi hardly ever mentioned religion or belief.   I guess Randi was afraid of alienating over 90% of the population at the time and derailing the skeptical culture when guys like Hal Bidlack were outspoken deists.  Now that everyone has internet and post 9,11, the cat is out of the bag.  IMO you can't really be a skeptic and believe in a deity when there is absolutely no evidence that a deity exists.  It's still a touchy subject and I think the rogues don't go there often but it is implied often enough.  I'd bet my left nut that everyone at SGU is a non believer.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 08:49:44 PM »
You can be skeptical of a lot of different subjects. Randi's The Faith Healers is a book that is skeptical about faith healing. God Is Not Great is a book that is skeptical about religion.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 08:55:41 PM »
You absolutely can be a skeptic and also be a deist.  There is no problem there

#non-belief denialist

Offline Crash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Dogspeed John Glenn.
    • What I do for fun
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 09:34:11 PM »

You are going to have to explain that stretch. There is a huge steaming pile of problem.  Skepticism is defined by the evidence it requires.  Where is the evidence for a deity? Faith?  I am not invoking the Scotsman fallacy by saying that no true skeptic is a deist.  You can try to explain all you want but I can say now that no argument you have will invoke any semblance of reality.  Skepticism is all about reality.  You are not a skeptic.  You may not believe in virgin birth or everlasting life but your blunt statement implies you have yet to swallow the whole enchilada.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 10:19:20 PM »
Hahaha. You think Im a deist?  Think again.  You're just wrong about skepticism and atheism.  There are a large number of good skeptics who are essentially deists.  Just two examples.  Ever hear of Martin Gardner? How about Dr. Pamela Gay?   

I'm absolutely in the camp of skeptics like Randi and Dr. Novella who both say that as long as you don't make reality claims based on your religious beliefs, I have no problem welcoming you into the skeptic camp. 
I'll take someone like Pamela Gay over Bill Maher any day of the week, thank you very much. 

#non-belief denialist

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 12:19:46 AM »
Maybe they actually recommended books that they liked and found useful?  There's a thought.

No no no.  Clearly there's an... agenda  :P
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 12:23:12 AM »

Perhaps a hidden agenda...  :raise:

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 12:24:15 AM »
Lol.  I needed a smile after that Game of Thones finale.  Thanks you two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#non-belief denialist

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 01:39:33 AM »

You are going to have to explain that stretch. There is a huge steaming pile of problem.  Skepticism is defined by the evidence it requires.  Where is the evidence for a deity? Faith?  I am not invoking the Scotsman fallacy by saying that no true skeptic is a deist.  You can try to explain all you want but I can say now that no argument you have will invoke any semblance of reality.  Skepticism is all about reality.  You are not a skeptic.  You may not believe in virgin birth or everlasting life but your blunt statement implies you have yet to swallow the whole enchilada.

Actually the Scotsman fallacy is exactly what youre invoking.
If you think there is any skeptic out there that doesnt hold some sort of un-evidenced or contra-evidence view I would argue that thought is itself contrary to the evidence cognitive science gives us about the way people think.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 03:45:07 PM »

The agenda is to promote books relevant to skepticism, and quite often they seem to feel that atheism is a different animal. It is in that context I wonder why they recommend those books on their site.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 04:58:59 PM »
Thank you for explaining their agenda for them.

#non-belief denialist

personate-rain
personate-rain