Author Topic: E3 2015  (Read 4281 times)

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
E3 2015
« on: June 15, 2015, 11:11:53 AM »
E3 is finally under way, and Bethesda kicked it off with a Fallout 4, Doom, and Dishonored 2. 

For those not completely in the know on this, E3 is known as the biggest annual gaming show, where new games and announcements are revealed and hype is thrown around like confetti or conspiracy theories. 

Anybody watching any of the live broadcasts, press events, or reveals?  News you're looking forward to, excited, or disappointed to see?

Fallout 4 Gameplay Trailer:

http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: E3 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 12:06:58 PM »
I watched the entirety of Bethesda's presentation.

I am pretty excited about Doom 4 and Fallout 4 and Fallout Shelter.  I am moderately excited about the Elder Scrolls card game.

I am not excited about everything else, like the mmorpeger and the team based arena thing and Dishonoured 2.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 02:27:13 PM »
I can't say I'm excited about any of this stuff. The Fallout series died with Fallout 2, as far as I'm concerned. If antyhing, I'm disappointed they announced this instead of the next Elder Scrolls game (and no, a card game doesn't flipping count). The rest I'm just not interested in.

Edit: Now that's more like it!

Now to just finish the first three... :-\
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 05:43:53 PM by Sordid »

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 05:02:28 AM »
I am seriously excited for this game:

I mean, obviously it still has to prove itself, and I'm completely in the dark as to what end you will be playing this game but all the same, the sheer enormity and concept of it is incredibly appealing.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 05:07:46 AM »
Oh yeah, this is freaking blowing my mind:

Assuming it works the way they demonstrate in an uncontrolled environment, Minecraft is only the beginning of how goddamn cool this will be!

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 07:48:51 AM »
I am seriously excited for this game:

I mean, obviously it still has to prove itself, and I'm completely in the dark as to what end you will be playing this game but all the same, the sheer enormity and concept of it is incredibly appealing.

I'm hugely skeptical about No Man's Sky. Yeah, alright, their procedurally generated universe is very large and very pretty. But what's the game? What do you actually do? A huge universe like that is completely pointless if the game doesn't use it. It's not like procedural generation is a new thing in games. The original Elite, on which this entire genre is based, used it more than 30 years ago. Ever play Daggerfall? That game had a map twice the size of Great Britain with thousands upon thousands of towns, villages, dungeons, temples, graveyards, and various other points of interest, and it supplied you with an infinite number of randomly generated quests. You could literally play forever. But you wouldn't want to because all these thousands of locations, while technically unique, were indistinguishable from each other, and the quests were all either "go into dungeon X and kill a monster Y" or "go into dungeon X and fetch item Y".

So how exactly does this game make every place unique and worthwhile to visit and explore? We don't know. All they're doing so far is going, "Look at our pretty blue grass! Isn't it pretty?" And they have undiscovered planets that nobody's ever been to that somehow have military robots on them. I don't even.

I really worry this game is going to be like Minecraft, a huge procedurally generated world with the actual game slapped on as an afterthought. Minecraft gets away with that because it's all about building; it's a terrible game but an awesome toy. This game won't have any building in it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:55:54 AM by Sordid »

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 08:45:22 AM »
Oh yeah, this is freaking blowing my mind:

Assuming it works the way they demonstrate in an uncontrolled environment, Minecraft is only the beginning of how goddamn cool this will be!

Yeah, that looks pretty insane.  My apprehension comes from remembering the bold promises of Kinect.  I will wait cautiously. 

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 08:51:58 AM »
Sony's Press Conference is the only one I was able to actually watch so far, since they planned it at a good time.  I was very impressed, but disappointed by the lack of Vita notes.  This one stuck out, with it's world where machines appear to be evolving like organic lifeforms:

Now Ken Ham has more things to bemoan.

My only problem with that trailer was all the "narrating" the character did.  Shut the fuck up. That ruins immersion.

Also: Mass Effect Andromeda.  Holy crap. 

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 11:29:48 AM »
Yeah I'm also skeptical about No Man's Sky.  I think starting from creating a universe of worlds to explore, rather than talking about actual gameplay might lead to the sort of problem that plague sandbox games, i.e. lots of space - little actual content.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 12:11:24 PM »
Yeah I'm also skeptical about No Man's Sky.  I think starting from creating a universe of worlds to explore, rather than talking about actual gameplay might lead to the sort of problem that plague sandbox games, i.e. lots of space - little actual content.

I'm still looking forward to No Man's Sky, but my skepticism lies in how they are planning to make the universe seem alive and varied.  How does the game create alien designs, landscapes, lifeforms, or alien ships, and still allow them to feel unique and different.  Still one of my most anticipated games of the year, as it looks to deliver something I've long wanted in a game--total explorative freedom.  I just hope the worlds, systems, and the like discovered actually feel very different.

In the Press Conference demo, they flew through a space battle, then moved randomly to another world in the galaxy, and the alien ships looked very similar to the ones they just left.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 12:14:48 PM »
I just remember being burned by Spore hype.  I'm getting the same feeling here.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 12:17:50 PM »
Right? The Minecraft comparison comes to mind once again. Yeah, sure, the world of Minecraft is what, eight times the surface area of the Earth? Except there's no reason to ever go anywhere, because everything it can possibly contain is within like a kilometer or two from where you start, and if you keep going you find the same stuff just repeating over and over. Homogeneous is the word I'm looking for here. I'm betting NMS is going to be exactly the same way. Vast, yes, but homogeneous and pointless.

On a more positive note:

As Penny Arcade predicted six years ago there are only two ways that game can possibly end.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
The one thing that stood out for me in the PS4 presentation was the Dreams announcement.  This really lift the curtains on endless new ways of sharing dick pictures with total strangers.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 02:24:55 PM »
Nintendo's E3 presentation was dead on arrival.  It's painfully clear that they are moving their internal resources to development of the new NX platform, and the Wii U is an afterthought they are going to quickly sweep under the rug in late 2016.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 02:53:20 PM »
I am skeptical of No Man's Sky too, but the concept is just too alluring to me to not be excited.  I've wanted a sci-fi space game where you could truly explore for so long that I'm willing to be burned if it doesn't pan out. 

Also, I got the feeling from this last preview that it isn't exactly procedurally generated as you play.  It seemed like he was saying that the galaxy was already procedurally generated or else, how would you explore something that another player randomly generated when there will be millions of other players randomly generating hundreds of planets? 

I will say, that beyond lack of information, the only concerning thing I've noticed is that in the stage demo, he goes to a random planet that looks exactly like the planet from their first video. If the random generation does not provide a wide enough variety, it will be a deal breaker for me.

personate-rain