Author Topic: People who are good at shooters.  (Read 1711 times)

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
People who are good at shooters.
« on: November 12, 2015, 03:43:48 PM »
So here's an excerpt from Tycho's blog post on Penny Arcade, today.
We have a diagram on the whiteboard behind Gabriel’s desk that describes how he, Kiko, and myself acquire targets in an FPS.  Kiko, the most successful, hipfires at center mass while pulling the sights up, raking upward to the headshot.  Gabriel, if I remember correctly, starts a little above the target and rakes down.  For some reason - and I didn’t understand this is how I did it at all before that conversation - I start to the lower left or right of the target, sight in, and then draw a diagonal line upward that crosses the head.  It goes without saying that this is the least effective system.  There are certain contexts where I’m obsessed with what I see as the optimal play, and firing over the sights is one of them, so I don’t even pull the trigger until I’m sighted in and it is making me a LOSER.

All right, so, I had heard about this type of thing before; it was a video about a CS pro, showing how and where to shoot most effectively, but at the time it had gone completely over my head. It was the kind of thing where you needed an advanced understanding of the jargon and of techniques to even get half the words he was saying.

But anyway, how do you shoot? I can't even remember my own way. I don't think I ever stopped to analyse it like that. But yeah, now that I think of it, I do think I zoom in the sights before I start shooting, in those games where such a thing is possible. (Gears has it, Halo doesn't.) I also generally go for the headshot and ignore the rest.

(For reference, my skills at shooters are serviceable, especially in Gears, and Quake III back in the day, but I'm no tournament player.)

(And please pay no attention to Tycho's horrible habit of putting two Goddamned spaces after every period. His posts are often the best thing I read online that day, but I'll be damned if they don't need a [sic] after the whole thing, every time.)
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Re: People who are good at shooters.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 08:11:20 PM »
People who are good at shooters suck!

I hate you people, its shooter people like you who keep me off of public servers and doom me to playing against Battlefield robots.

This goes double for snipers and tipple for anyone that can do that stupid jump hover float move when running down hill HTF do you do that?

I used to play Tribes, then the internet got good, now I play tycoon games.  >:D

I should also point out that even my wife who only casually decides to play a game every few years just smokes me on anything, Gaming is my life, Is this fair? WTF
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »
Target acquisition might be the key to your whole problem.

But it is also reflex-based (what people call "twitch"), so it's a young person's game. Strangely, RTSs and MOBAs seem to also be that way.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 10:27:07 PM »
MOBA = Everything I ever dreamed could come true with video games of the future when I was a kid but now am too old to play. 

I was never good at any reflex games, I got my ass handed to me equally in the arcade fight games and later with console button combos, I never had the coordination but I can rule at rhythm games like Rock Band, go figure.   I'm interested to see if I can learn target acquisition so I plan on checking out your links, I don't have high hopes, I caunt shoot strait neaither.  >:(
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 11:26:04 PM »
Well, this is the article I was talking about. With the video I barely understood the first time I watched it.

http://kotaku.com/pro-gamer-teaches-you-how-to-shoot-better-1633198550

Jesus, that kid is like 12.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 09:38:46 AM »
I don't have a specific method to my shooting madness.  I'm more of a planner, I guess.  I'm that asshole camper more often than not.  I also try for sneaky attacks.  Hiding in a place someone might not expect, for instance.  In Black Ops II, I racked up quite a few kills several times by laying down in the open on top of recently killed guys.  Lay still and you look like a corpse. 

I almost always bring up the sites, and look for weapons that are a combination of power and stability.  I'm also very big on explosives, and especially in Black Ops II, was fond of laying Bouncing Betty mines around. 

I don't always rack up a lot of kills--the few times I've been the leader on a team are rare and usually accompanied by a comment about how "our team sucked."  But I vary between camping and utter chaos.  I'll lob grenades randomly, and I'll place turrets in the same manner.  If I feel that a match is going poorly, I'll switch from "trying to win" to "trolling the other team."

I haven't played a shooter online in a while, though.  There have been a few times where I went "fuck it, knives for everyone" route, and it's amazing how well that sometimes works. 
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 07:23:03 PM »
I too go with the "shriek and spray" method. I prefer the methodology applied by such great veterans as John Wilkes Booth: shoot them in the back of the grape when they're not looking.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 04:30:11 PM »
I tend to start centre of mass or at the feet and work my way up.
I suck though. I havent played online in about 10 years.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 04:43:09 PM »
I fucking suck at shooters. I have a friend who's TOO GOOD at them to the point where it's embarrassing to play against him.
That said, he's a lone-wolf in that sense, he can't play strategically because all he cares about is his awesome and impossibly positive KDR score, and damn the objectives or the team to hell.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

personate-rain