Author Topic: ARK: Survival Evolved  (Read 5106 times)

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: ARK: Survival Evolved
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 01:01:37 AM »
I'm already loving leveling up on a server with others.

Offline wastrel

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 01:28:37 AM »
Awesome Halloween/Fall update, scarecrows, jack-o-lanterns, Dodo/T-Rex hybrids!  There has never been a better time to try to live on an island populated with dinosaurs!

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 01:33:51 PM »
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! not the dreaded DodoRex!

If its not obvious already Wastrel and I are addicted to this game, it really is some great fun, there is something for everyone.

The server is dialed in pretty good, i'm still working on getting some mods installed. Send me a PM and Ill happily send you an invitation to get on the server, the SGU welcome center is open.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 04:10:36 PM »
Okay okay... you just convinced me to put this first on my queue instead of Life is Strange and King's Quest...
dammit.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »
$20 sale going on right now

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 07:33:26 PM »
The welcome center was overrun by a nasty Sarco (giant Crocodile) it killed most of our Dino Heard and destroyed the new metal forge and smithy I built. Its back under control now and we even captured a Raptor to hunt with (credit to Kaiden)

I had a 30th level Trike that took me two hours to capture but when attacking a Carbonemys (giant turtle) I pissed off the other four near by and he was overrun, our pet cemetery is growing faster than the heard.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 08:25:35 PM »
Sick of killing countless RadRoaches yet?  Leave that radioactive life behind and build a new life on "The Island"  We Have a Tyrannosauruses Rex and a metal fabrication plant but we still need your help! Join Tribe SGU_333, Together we can make a difference and build this island into something thats really SPECIAL! >:D

$20.99 vs $60 and new content weekly.

The server is now running an extensive mod package that adds many more features to the game (and extra administration ugg)

PM me for server instructions.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 08:47:06 PM »
Took me an hour of dying to figure out that you need to punch trees to start off your wood supply. And just run through a weed patch pressing "e" to pick up fibers and berries.
So, my first forays into the world weren't too successful. I'll check back in someday when I'm through my other games, but for now, the rough alpha-ness and lack of user-friendly niceties is putting me off. And I already played and loved Don't Starve.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2015, 12:25:53 AM »
We have a nice welcome center built with all the amenities for a starting islander, it just went through an upgrade. There is a small zoo in the back including a T-rex,  We also have the game settings tweaked for building so you get more resources when mining.

I did the exact same thing with not knowing how to collect wood on my first day. Wait till you've spent 3 hours taming a dino just to have it killed 10 min later LOL We tweaked that speed too. The game is still hard enough to be challenging on most of the island but we have been working hard to provide an easy start if you want to try again.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2015, 01:21:24 AM »
Min specs to run the game? Can my shitty lap top handle it?

Offline wastrel

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 10:00:54 PM »
Logged on to server after extended work and Fallout 4 induced absence to this sight:

Nearly defecated...

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 05:47:23 AM »
Thats Squiggles, he follows you with his eyes and grins,

We have made 3 separate attempts to get a mammoth back to the welcome center, squiggles has survived 2 of those attempts, we lost several raptors and 5 mammoths (we tried 2 mammoths each on the last 2 attempts). the whole process takes at least 2-3 hrs.  I think its going to take more people and a few more T-Rex. The swamp is smack dab in the way and there are mountains blocking both coasts when trying to get around it, the swamp is brutal.

On my last session I started building a DNA lab and egg hatchery, I built a power generator to power the DNA sequencer and I have some mammoth DNA But I haven't figured out how to use it yet. I think you mix whatever DNA with different "fertile" eggs to create what you want.

The fabricator is up and running and there is a ton of gasoline to run it (also for the generator). one of the main ingredients "Polymer" is difficult to make and expensive needing obsidian and cementing paste, you can however acquire "Organic Polymer" quickly by going Kairuku (penguin) whacking. The baby penguins seem to give more OP and they make a cute noise when you slaughter them  >:D

Organic Polymer only lasts a few hours before it goes away and refrigeration does not seam to help so its best to get what you need then head back to camp.

Take the Jenny 2 up the west coast till you reach the frozen tundra, you will find icebergs with tons of penguins ready for the slaughter as well as big black rocks for mining oil.  I also recommend perching a bird on top of the boat for the trip (set to peaceful or you will regret it) so you can airlift mined materials easily from shore to boat. Dont go out at night in the tundra without furs or you will freeze quickly, pelt is also a difficult commodity to acquire. There are 2 campfires on the Jenny 2 and you usually need both working to survive the night without fur.

We had a problem with one of the mods and had to remove a few till I found the one causing the problems, it turned out to be the "torch Mod" which was nice but its gone until they either fix it or I find a suitable replacement.  I'm not going to say what was growing in my secret garden should you happen to bump into it  but its temporarily gone till I can reinstall that mod.

The other mod I can never get to work properly increases the time your dead body exists to 8hrs real time and puts a smoke marker on the location. It never works quite right so i'm  looking for similar options in another mod.

Min specs to run the game? Can my shitty lap top handle it?

official specs
Processor: 2 GHz Dual-Core 64-bit CPU
Memory: 4000 MB RAM
Graphics: DirectX10 Compatible GPU with 1 GB Video RAM

I recommend at least a 6000 series or comparable Gcard. I have one PC with a 5000 series and it chokes out at full screen but for some reason runs fine in 1080 full screen "windowed" mode on medium settings which looks exactly the same as full screen, there is no actual "window". At medium quality the game looks like half life at max quality.  Full quality looks amazing but I run that on a big workstation with a 7000 series card. Kaiden plays on an Alienwear laptop with a 9000 and its just sick.

The game is still not optimized well and can take some time to boot up especially after an update. My older machine takes around 2-5 min but once its up you run fine. The faster computers log in quickly as normal.

The server is in Canada but we get fantastic ping rates in Georgia as does Wastrel in the west.

The Game is on sale through December 1st for $17.99

Just in case anyone gets the urge to try the game when I am not around I'm going to send everyone who showed an interest in the game the server login info. I would post it in the thread if the game section was not public so feel free to pass out the info to other forum members.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 10:45:14 AM »
I'd pop into the forum if I could manage to run the game with a half-decent FPS... Will keep on trying

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 02:40:07 AM »

Beware the super turkey!!!!!!  they can not be killed and they do not give up.... Ever!