Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Elite: Dangerous
« on: June 18, 2015, 04:47:22 AM »
I've only recently become aware of this game, but it's been fully released on PC since December of 2014 and was released in beta and alpha formats for a year or so before that.  It's also coming to X-Box One soon.  I don't have it (not even sure if my meager laptop can really run it), but I'm heavily eyeballing it for some time in the future; It looks freaking fantastic!  Basically, the creators of this game have crafted (as they put it) a 1-to-1 recreation of the Milky Way with billions of stars and planets and tons of other stellar phenomena such as black holes and nebulae recreated as realistically as possible.  They've set the game sometime around the year 3300 and start you off with a small amount of money and a basic ship. 

As it sits now, I do not believe there is any true objective or story, but there are a few types of missions that you can undertake to gain money with which you can upgrade your ship and buy new ships.  I'm not sure about all of them, but there are missions to bounty hunt, deliver cargo, retrieve various items for different factions, and enter small conflicts.  There are also ways in which you can get a bounty put on your head for other players to hunt down.  The main part of this game which intrigues me though, is that you can earn money by exploring and gathering data, with bonuses awarded for being the first person to find planets, stars, moons, etc.  Here's an unedited video which shows the style, immersion, and feel of the game (it's just the youtuber going delivering cargo from one space station to another):

The neat thing about this game though, is that it seems to really make the player think out their actions ahead of time as plotting a sloppy course can leave you stranded (I watched a video once, where a guy happened on one brown dwarf after another, leaving him nothing to regenerate his fuel from).  I also really enjoy that the creators seem to have paid a lot of attention to detail in recreating our galaxy as well.  For instance, one player got it into his head to do the math and calculate where the Voyager 2 probe would be in 1300 years and went there.  Lo and behold, there was frickin' Voyager 2 just drifting along.  That kind of stuff really makes me excited.  My suggestion for looking into this game some more if you are interested, would just be to watch some more videos (the youtuber I linked to above is pretty good) and get a better feel for the game.  I for one, cannot wait to play it.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 10:59:40 AM »
Don't get too excited about this game, I heard rather mixed reviews.  I think it may be great for some kinds of players and awful for others.  I'll try to find more info.

I think Yahtzee sums it up:

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:11:24 AM by teethering »

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 12:57:19 PM »
Yeah, I'd read some of the reviews stating that it was not for everyone, but I do believe I'm a similar type of weirdo to Yahtzee, and I feel like this forum stands a better chance of having those weirdos too.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »
Yeah, I actually enjoyed Euro Truck Simulator, as strange as that is.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 02:36:27 PM »

Never played it, but I've always wondered what the appeal was.  What exactly is the appeal anyway?

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »

Never played it, but I've always wondered what the appeal was.  What exactly is the appeal anyway?

It's somewhat like how Yahtzee described it.  It's part business simulator, part driving a big rig simulator and just driving around "Europe" (it's not really Europe BUT IT IS IN MY IMAGINATION DAMMIT)...

I don't know if I can explain it, but in my head it just somehow fits.  But it's not a game I could play for hours at a time, because it's incredibly boring for the most part.  It's just sometimes I like being bored... somehow... It's soothing.  I don't know.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 03:01:32 PM »
I guess I can get that.  So far my only experience with it has been pictures on reddit of people sitting in virtual bumper to bumper traffic with captions along the lines of "I paid for this privilege," and, "this is my life now."

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 03:30:57 PM »
Oh I love those truck simulator games, I've been playing them for a long, long time. To me it's all about he joy of navigation. You know how in some games it's fun to just move around and navigate the environment? Games like Super Meatboy or Dustforce, where it's all about moving precisely and efficiently through a set of obstacles. The truck simulators are kinda like that, only much slower. Because the trucks are articulated vehicles and they're very large, you can't drive them like you drive a car. You have to take the turns very wide, for instance, and you have to pay attention to the road ahead while at the same time keeping an eye on what your own trailer is doing in the rear view mirror. There's just something very satisfying about making a turn and watching the trailer slot itself perfectly into the lane behind you (as opposed to, say, scraping against a lamp post or a car if you turn too tightly).

Now the business simulator aspect of ETS2 is so basic it's barely worth mentioning. You buy an additional truck and hire a driver to drive it for you, and it gives you a little bit of passive income. You use that to buy more trucks and hire more drivers to make even more money, and it just kinda snowballs on its own without you having to do anything or getting make any interesting decisions. One thing that disappointed me was that you can't meet your other trucks on the road in ETS2. In the earlier games set in America your other drivers actually existed in the game, IIRC, and meeting them on the road was pretty damn cool. Oh well.

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 02:37:01 PM »
I play this with Oculus Rift.  It's like having a space ship.  Lots of fun, especially when hunting pirates in an asteroid field with friends.

Here's a little "cinematic" I made from recording one of my less than successful pirate hunts.  BTW: An "Anaconda" is a 1/4 km long combat focused ship.

personate-rain