Author Topic: Episode #519  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #519
« on: June 20, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »
Forgotten Superheroes of Science: Jerry Lawson; News Items: Nutrition Research, Graphene Light Emission, Global Warming Challenge, Philae Wakes Up; Who’s That Noisy; Dumbest Thing of the Week: David Tredinnick; Your Questions and E-mails: Hive Mind; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline smithkhome

• Well Established
  • Business in the front, business in the back.
Re: Episode #519
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 03:24:32 PM »
Listening to the rogues discuss using Virtual Reality to perform word processing made me think if an episode from the latest season of Community (on Yahoo!).
It contains a good example if how it might work.

https://screen.yahoo.com/community/lawnmower-maintenance-postnatal-care-070001912.html

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 07:28:22 AM »
I feel about VR goggles same as I feel about 3D glasses. I don't want to wear it. I want the result, but I don't want all that gear on my face/don't want to mess with my eyes that way. I'd rather have spray-on monitors everywhere. And holograms.

Offline Beakman

• Brand New
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 09:07:33 AM »
At around 33 minutes there is discussion about Rick Santorum telling the pope to "leave science to the scientists".  Steve then remarks that the pope has a degree in chemistry, which I thought was a sick burn.  I told my wife and she responded "are you sure he has a degree in chemistry?" and I realized that I had never really researched this.

So after a bit of googling, it appears that Pope Francis doesn't have a degree in chemistry.  It seems that the truth of the matter is that he graduated from a technical school with a focus on becoming a "chemical technician".  It also seems like he never actually used his training at this school in any professional manner.

I've heard this factoid numerous times over the years and never stopped to wonder whether or not it was actually true.  I think this is one of those things that we want to be true because it gives a bit of logical cred to a person in a position that is usually associated with unscientific and non logical thinking.

But that's just what I found from a few minutes of googling, maybe there is more to this?

Offline frothy

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 11:21:16 AM »
nvm
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:23:54 AM by frothy »

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 03:52:53 PM »
The discussion of merging minds may not have been inspired by Sense8 (pronounced 'sense-ate', the name for individuals born into a psychically connected group of eight people) but that show is exploring the idea. We have a thread talking about the show already, but haven't delved into the physiological implications of building new neural paths to distant minds.

I'd love to hear the gang talk about the show - leaving the obvious fantasy of telepathy, of course.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 04:05:59 PM »
Regarding the use of VR for non-gaming purposes, we've already got a product from Microsoft that is getting ready to release which will do just that:

I like this because it takes VR and uses it to augment reality, not remove you from it.  Maybe that makes it not exactly VR per se, but I think the basic concepts are very similar.

Offline Kivel

• Brand New
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 04:58:31 PM »
I hope games certainly are not the use for VR. I hope we can have "tours"  like a guided tour of the Louvre. The Grand Canyon with the use of gloves.  I think I am right now starting Total E-Mertion (because its the sort of names that's every where now)  . Deep Ocean tour, i could go on but i wont

I have been a Skeptic as long as i can remember (im 57) after the Stork and Santa feel I started doubting everything (at 10 I gave up big foot it was harder than Santa, because basically I was going get presents anyway.

If this is just a ramble I had a big aortic valve burst long time no blood flow and some big time brain damage.  but i hope the idea gets across..

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 05:05:21 PM »

I'd love to hear the gang talk about the show - leaving the obvious fantasy of telepathy, of course.

Though once we can consistently safely implant computers into our skulls and hook up our brains to them, telepathy should be highly achievable. We just have to be able to craft a message to send from one device to another. And to read the message back. But the delay there would probably be far too long to achieve a hive mind.

Offline RedShark92

• Brand New
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 07:12:13 PM »
re: Motion sickness, I get it triggered by video games sometimes, too, but it's not dependent on the size of the screen - I've gotten it from first-person games on my mid-sized TV from across the room.

Interestingly, my motion sickness rarely causes nausea. What I usually get is headaches and vertigo. Is this the same thing going on as with "traditional" motion sickness?

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 11:06:22 PM »
I like this because it takes VR and uses it to augment reality, not remove you from it.  Maybe that makes it not exactly VR per se, but I think the basic concepts are very similar.

VR and AR are related but distinct. The intent of VR is to create a distinct reality. AR has always been more interesting for me, especially since reading Dream Park, The Barsoom Project and, The California Voodoo Game by Larry Niven and Stephen Barnes. Oh, and in writing this and looking for links I discovered that they wrote a 4th book in 2011 called The Moon Maze Game, that I'd never heard of, and must now read.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline andy o

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 03:15:06 AM »
I for one am excited about VR. Pretty much everyone that has tried it is knocked off their socks. I can not stop laughing about this video:

Offline pwashlow

• Off to a Start
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »
Even the dogmatic FDA has lightened their restrictions on dietary fat, as a group of objective science based skeptics I would expect you to not make off handed comments vilifying a single macro nutrient.  You advocate a balanced diet, a balanced diet would include fat, using "fat intake is connected to cardiac disease" as your example for the broad advice that can be gleaned from memory based observational studies is disingenuous and a perfect example of the weakness of these type of studies. Especially given that the rate of heart disease has drastically increased since the low fat recommendation was made. Also the Ancel Keys study that initiated this flawed line of thinking included manipulated data to fit his preconceived notion.  Decreased health from flawed nutrition recommendations + improved medicine = false sense of improved health.

Offline gehnofdni

• Off to a Start
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 05:34:11 PM »
Have any of the rogues read the Hyperion cantos by Dan Simmons? He introduces a race of super-intelligent AIs (known as the TechnoCore) that live in the Megasphere, which is akin to a collective of individual intelligences and also a virtual space in which they live. They are adding to the collective knowledge of the Megasphere, but they are also individuals with billions of competing philosophies. Dan Simmons introduces a number of very big ideas in this series.

Also, in reference to SGU Prem #054, Ishmael by Daniel Quinn is transcendent. It started me on the path to atheism. It turned my Christian indoctrination on its head. It's also fabulous dialog if you are like me and enjoy dialog.

personate-rain