Author Topic: Maron interviewed the U.S. President and you need to listen to it.  (Read 2742 times)

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
www.wtfpod.com/

(Also on iTunes.)

Obama has been trying real hard to reach people in "new media" outlets lately. He's been all over YouTube and now he's just done a round of podcasts. His interview with Mark Maron is great. I don't know if you listen to Maron, guys, he's a pretty good interviewer in general, and I always tune in when he's interviewing someone I know. (Mostly it's comedians I've never heard of so I skip em.)

But this is different, obviously. Different for Maron, but also pretty different for Obama. I believe he was pretty candid about stuff, and he is a thoughtful, affable guy to start with, and he spoke about his ideals a lot. One thing I noticed is that he basically said he was non-religious, which implies his whole thing with going to church during the campaign was just for show. Which I think we all knew, right?

Anyway. Great interview. Go listen.
http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_613_-_president_barack_obama
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: Maron interviewed the U.S. President and you need to listen to it.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 12:53:20 AM »
Downloaded.  I'll check it out later.  Thanks!

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 01:09:16 AM »
Things that stood out to me:
  • Remarked on single-payer as ideal
  • Jokingly admitted use of stealth black helicopters inside US
  • Expressed disgust at congressional inaction following the elementary school massacre
  • Louis CK one of his favorite comedians
Good interview!  He's going to make so much money post-presidency doing talks and speeches.

Also, he's getting some guff over using the word, "nigger," but it's use was so congenial that I honestly can't remember the context.  I'm guessing it's mostly from people who see him as an honorary white guy amd are like,"Heeeeey!"
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 12:16:15 PM »
It was nothing shocking, but good to hear him being honest about his frustrations... just like us. He hits that sweet spot of realism/skepticism balanced by optimism that I really liked about Sagan and try to emulate myself.

One thing I noticed is that he basically said he was non-religious, which implies his whole thing with going to church during the campaign was just for show. Which I think we all knew, right?

I remember him saying he was brought up non-religious by a sort of hippie, multi-culti mother. Could have found it since... maybe Michelle makes him go to church?  :)

Also, he's getting some guff over using the word, "nigger," but it's use was so congenial that I honestly can't remember the context.  I'm guessing it's mostly from people who see him as an honorary white guy amd are like,"Heeeeey!"

Wait, what? Maron or Obama said it? Quoting Louis CK maybe?  :) It must've been blanked out for air, I don't remember that either...
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 01:45:15 PM »
It was nothing shocking, but good to hear him being honest about his frustrations... just like us. He hits that sweet spot of realism/skepticism balanced by optimism that I really liked about Sagan and try to emulate myself.

One thing I noticed is that he basically said he was non-religious, which implies his whole thing with going to church during the campaign was just for show. Which I think we all knew, right?

I remember him saying he was brought up non-religious by a sort of hippie, multi-culti mother. Could have found it since... maybe Michelle makes him go to church?  :)

Wait, what? Maron or Obama said it? Quoting Louis CK maybe?  :) It must've been blanked out for air, I don't remember that either...

I actually heard it on NPR and was pretty surprised.

"Racism, we are not cured of it. And it's not just a matter of it not being polite to say nigger in public," Obama said in an interview for the podcast "WTF with Marc Maron."

"That's not the measure of whether racism still exists or not. It's not just a matter of overt discrimination. Societies don't, overnight, completely erase everything that happened 200 to 300 years prior."
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »
This interview confirmed what I feel is the most ironic thing about Obama: that I would love to have a beer with him. I think it's ironic because a lot of people said that about the previous President as though it was a great reason to keep him in office. But dammit, the President seems so cool.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 03:46:24 PM »
This host was sucking Obama’s dick so hard that it was difficult to hear anything else over his gagging.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 05:08:59 PM »
This host was sucking Obama’s dick so hard that it was difficult to hear anything else over his gagging.

Such in depth analysis.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 05:28:07 PM »
*deleted for beating a dead horse*
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 05:32:45 PM by Jeremy's Sea »
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 05:31:46 PM »
This interview confirmed what I feel is the most ironic thing about Obama: that I would love to have a beer with him. I think it's ironic because a lot of people said that about the previous President as though it was a great reason to keep him in office. But dammit, the President seems so cool.
Yeah, I never voted for him, though I wasn't totally unhappy he was elected. I really disagreed a lot on his handling of the bailouts and foreign policy/drone use, etc.
I get that he's "just" the president, but he steers policy and for as much of the insane debacles I blame Bush for, I have to acknowledge he holds blame for the things I don't like as well.
I think the more salient difference between having a beer with Bush and having a beer with Obama, is that Obama would relate to most of us as humans, and Bush seemed to have quite a bit of contempt for the "common man," or even worse for the disenfranchised.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline kvuo75

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 10:36:13 PM »

from what i've heard of maron's podcast that's how it is.

if you like, or are interested in the person he's interviewing, its actually pretty good listening.

if not, you will be disappointed (i have no interest in 90% of his guests) i can actually only remember 3 now that i didn't just skip outright.. harry shearer, st vincent, obama.. maybe some punk musician i cant remember the name of.

edit;

listened to his followup podcast about the obama podcast, and yeah i feel it, how the secret service prepared his house and shit. if you wouldn't be excited or otherwise blown away by talking to the president for an hour .. i don't know about u..

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:42:52 PM by kvuo75 »

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 11:11:04 PM »
meh, I told Scalia he was a bigot to his face at a wedding reception.  There's this whole mentality that people are entitled to respect because they have X degree or hold Y position, and I see people bending over backwards just to get the chance to meet people who are famous or have power.  It's no wonder they see themselves surrounded by yes men all the time.  Have you EVER seen a sitting President in a hostile interview?

So now let me take a moment to rage against The West Wing, a show that managed to embody an infantilized notion of politics and power.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 11:11:13 PM »
Maron I think started on the Nerdist network and the Nerdist podcast gets a lot of the same flack.  I think basically, these interviews are not meant to be any kind of journalism like most interviews are.  They are designed to put the interviewee at ease and to have them show a side that most people are not familiar with.  Anyone expecting some kind of hard hitting interview is just not paying attention.  That being said, unless you have some passing interest in the people being interviewed, the episodes are pretty uninteresting. 

As for this interview, I think it was interesting enough, though I doubt much new was revealed.  I think that it shows just how good the President is at selling himself though.  I just have a hard time squaring the personality I hear in this interview with some of the nasty things I know he's primarily responsible.  Perhaps he's just really, really good at compartmentalizing though, and just doesn't pay attention to the conflicts?

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 11:18:33 PM »
meh, I told Scalia he was a bigot to his face at a wedding reception.  There's this whole mentality that people are entitled to respect because they have X degree or hold Y position, and I see people bending over backwards just to get the chance to meet people who are famous or have power.  It's no wonder they see themselves surrounded by yes men all the time.  Have you EVER seen a sitting President in a hostile interview?

I don't believe these people are better than us or anything, but I think in our culture it takes some amount of practice to treat a famous person (all the more one who is in a powerful position) you've never met like an average person you've never met.  For me, unless I have some reason to berate someone for even the nastiest of beliefs, I won't.  For most people I don't know personally, there wouldn't be much reason to go there.

Were I to be interviewing them, I'm sure I would be OK with it though, but until I had practice doing stuff like that I'm sure my nerves would be through the roof.

I do think it's worth mentioning that when Maron was interviewed on Fresh Air after his episode aired, he stated that while in the garage there was only a single Secret Service man besides he and the President, there were like 8 people listening through headphones outside.  I'm guessing that stated or otherwise, there was the threat that asking too many of the "wrong" questions would mean someone pulls the plug and Obama's gone.

I have to admit, if I were some podcaster and I got the opportunity to be the first one to interview even the worst ever sitting President, I would probably jump through all the hoops I could just to be "that guy."  I'd be too tempting to pass or mess up I think.

Offline kvuo75

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 12:31:50 AM »
its a great thing for podcasting in general

i think phil hendrie said it on his podcast.. some asshole in his basement can get enough of a following that the president of the us finds it useful to spend some time there. 

regular/terrestrial radio has been dead for around 10 years if you're not conservative talk or sports talk.  satellite radio hired all the people who killed regular/terrestrial radio, and they've pretty much killed satellite also.

the only interesting spoken word entertainment is podcasting.

personate-rain
personate-rain