Poll

What is your preferred gaming platform?

X-box one
Playstation 4
PC
mobile
cards

Author Topic: Console wars  (Read 3348 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Console wars
« on: June 24, 2015, 11:10:10 PM »
What do you prefer? I haven't had a console for awhile and not sure I really want one, but have been kicking the idea around a bit with some better games on the horizon. X-box vs PlayStation?

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: Console wars
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 11:14:45 PM »
I don't have a preference at the moment, but since my brother went ahead and got a Xbone and isn't planning on a PS4 anytime soon, I guess I'm planning on an Xbone probably before the end of the year.  Seems like it's kinda winning the war at the moment too.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 01:05:42 AM »
The problem with this generation of consoles is that the previous 2 were sold as loss leaders: that is, from day one of their release, both Microsoft and Sony sold them at below cost with the idea that they'd be able to make the money back on video game sales. This time around, though, both companies are selling the systems at a (very small) profit, so relative to the value you got back in 2005 they do feel a bit underwhelming. Coupled with the fact that it took both companies so very, very long to come out with a new generation and... I won't go so far as to predict another 1984 in the works, but I do think that consoles as a whole may not last much longer.

I used to love both my XBox and my 360 but the XBone was just underwhelming to me. Here's why I'd preferred consoles in the past:

- Plug and play technology means you buy a game at the store, take it home, and just play it. That's no longer a feature of these games; your XBone/PS4 will make you download all the updates released for a game before you can play it, a process that can take several hours depending on your connection.

- You get to play on a system that produces graphics and gameplay that you'd have to shell out a ton of money to get similar tech from a PC. Just not the case anymore for the reason noted above but otherwise you can fairly easily buy a $500-$600 PC that will do anything that an XBone can do and which as an added bonus you can use as an actual computer as well.

- It could mimic a lot of what a home entertainment center could do. It's not that the XBone and PS4 don't do this - they totally do - it's that not only can my PC basically do all this but the last TV I bought could do so as well right out of the box. At best it's a DVD player, which itself isn't really that big of a deal in the age of Amazon and Netflix.

- It's fun to invite friends over to play. I'm just not seeing a lot of fun collaboration games for the XBone/PS4. It's true that Nintendo has several, and there are ever-escalating rumors of new versions of Guitar Hero / Rock Band on their way, but gaming in general has also started to really move away from multiplayer on your couch to multiplayer over your Internet connection.

Maybe I'm a pessimist but I just don't see these issues being resolved easily, at least not with this generation of consoles.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 02:03:20 AM »
The update and install process seems really annoying to me, but that's only a one time thing unless you erase it and want to play again.  With the PC, downloads and updates are still part of the process, and you have to deal with game companies forcing you to use their proprietary game managers to play the game as well (like Uplay for instance) meaning you need 4-5 programs installed that run in the background while you play your games.  Beyond that, while I and my brother do not have gaming rigs per se, we have respectable computers that can handle a lot (even if it's not running at top settings) and we both have had innumerable issues with games we've paid for not working properly and not because our machines are under-powered.  Going onto the Steam forums reveals people having technical issues with just about any game you can think of.  That is something that simply isn't a concern on a console.  If they don't work, it is a problem with everyone and the game-makers are generally running around trying to fix it, whereas some of the problems you have on PC end with a developer saying "sorry.  my bad" and doing nothing.

That being said, without a doubt PC gaming offers more options, humongous discounts on games, and an extensive modding community which is better than ever thanks to things like Steam Workshop.  At some point, I plan on buying a really nice rig and maybe then all of my problems go away with getting games to run, but right now I just enjoy the peace of mind that comes with a console.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 07:59:46 AM »
I really agree with everything Johnny has said. I think console makers are running themselves into the ground because they are so scared of not having all the money, all the data and all the ad revenue. I really love triple A games with good one player campaigns but too much money is going into them now to make them viable. I dont want motion captured Willem Dafoe or Kevin Spacey, I want an extra team of people adding more depth or options to the levels. I want the game to work out of the box and I dont want to be slapped in the face with DLC being released the week after I buy a game for 60 quid and be expected to make a microsoft account to get it.
Im really going to pine for the new Uncharted and Zelda games but Ive basically just made a list of games from the last 20 years that I missed or never finished or want to replay and Im working through that on emulator. They are simpler, more fun and solid, complete experiences.
Personally I think PS2 is the absolute pinnacle of console gaming, the titles that were released for it were so numerous, had just the right budget/value balance and so many of them were pretty much works of art in my opinion.
But none of that is what you asked:
I share the distrust of PC ports but that seems to be improving all the time.i never enjoy playing on PC as much as on a console though but at least I dont need to shell out for a new tv soley to play ganes on. That really pisses me off.
Xbone or PS4 depends really on what your friends have, what exclusive titles you prefer and if you value indie market at all from what I can see.

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 09:06:06 AM »
Here is a pretty good side by side of xbox  vs ps4. Still not sure I'm going to pull the trigger but am surprised that I'm leaning more towards a PS4. Traditionally I've just gamed on my laptop but now have access to a dedicated room would like to fill it out. I agree with EL about the problems of PC games and just want something out of the box. I thought one of the two would now let you play while it downloads updates but may be wrong about that.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/xbox-one-vs-ps4,review-2543.html

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 10:40:40 AM »
also it seems like more games are made for the console and ported to PC instead of the other way around.

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/batman-arkham-knight-pc-sales/

Batman: Arkham Knight publisher Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment just put the kibosh on sales of the reportedly crippled PC version of its open-world thug-slugging game. That’s kind of incredible, since Arkham Knight‘s been out for less than 48 hours. In fact I’m pretty sure it’s unprecedented in “most anticipated” game release history.

How did it come to this? Time may tell, but at this point, all we know is that when the PC version of Arkham Knight rolled out earlier this week, buyer complaints about all sorts of glitches—mostly crazy-awful performance issues—went nuclear. At this point, the game’s garnered “Mostly Negative” user reviews on Steam, compared with universal acclaim for the console versions.

Longtime series developer Rocksteady handled the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the game (neither of which have anything like the PC version’s problems), but the PC version was ported by a third party. How the PC version in its current state slipped past Warner Bros.’ quality assurance checks is anyone’s guess...

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 11:57:12 AM »
You can fairly easily buy a $500-$600 PC that will do anything that an XBone can do.

(click to show/hide)

I see no reason to get a console. They're expensive for what they are, underpowered, the games are more expensive than PC games, and they're specialized gaming machines with little to no other utility. You need a PC for work anyway; it's not a question of "PC or console", it's a question of "PC or PC and console". If you're going to have a PC anyway, you might as well spend a little bit extra and make it a gaming one. My PC serves all my gaming needs perfectly well, and if I wanted I could hook it up to a TV and wirelessly connect half a dozen controllers to it for some multi-player couch gaming action, no problem.

As far as I can tell, the only upside of consoles is that they require no effort less effort than PCs. If you can't be bothered to do the math and figure out which platform gives you the most bang for your buck, if you can't be bothered to hook up a few cables to let you switch from a monitor on your desk to a TV in a different room, if you can't be bothered to learn to operate Windows, then consoles are for you. If you don't mind putting in just a little bit of effort and learning a thing or two, it's a complete no-brainer, IMO.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 12:01:50 PM by Sordid »

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 02:26:27 PM »
... unless you want to play the new batman game.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 03:12:06 PM »
It'll be back. :P Should you feel inclined to continue this line of argument towards exclusives and such, allow me to direct you to this.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 03:14:23 PM by Sordid »

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 03:15:01 PM »
... unless you want to play the new batman game.
The biggest issues I've seen with the Batman game is that it's horribly optimized and so... you can only expect framerates and graphical quality at about the level you get on consoles. Seriously, right now, before they've bothered to fix it, the worst thing that can be said about the game is that the PC version doesn't run any better right now.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »
the worst thing that can be said about the game is that the PC version doesn't run any better right now.

The worst thing about that game on PC is that it's not on PC anymore. They stopped selling it until they fix it. I think that's what Moj was getting at. ;)

On the other hand, they stopped selling it until they fix it. Surely stopping scamming people with a defective product that doesn't work properly and making an effort to fix it is commendable, yes?

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 03:43:13 PM »
I didn't see that they actively stopped selling it. I like that move, actually; it's a whole hell of a lot better than trying to convince people that you letterboxed your own game or engineered it to never go above 30FPS because "cinematic experience". I've definitely seen buggier games not recalled and in some cases not fixed. It also used to be that you could avoid that kind of thing by going to console route but again, these massive as-large-as-the-game-on-the-disk sized patches that get released for XBone and PS4 titles indicates to me that that is just not the case anymore.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 03:45:57 PM »
Yeah, the ability to just pop the disk in and play immediately used to be a big advantage of consoles. Not anymore, though.

As for why they stopped selling it, I think the new Steam refunds had a lot to do with that. Suddenly publishers can't get away with a "we've got your money already, so we don't give a shit" attitude anymore. So thank you, European Union!

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 04:56:33 PM »
I  see no reason to game on a PC. I want to sit on my couch and not have to worry about my graphics card not being compatible with Direct X whateverthefuck and waste hours trying to troubleshoot my PC. I turn on the Xbox, everything works! Meanwhile I've been through 3 different computers in the same lapse of time. (I have also burned through 3 different Xbox 360, but at least they were all replaced for free; if you total my spending, I spent 10 times more on those PCs while playing 100 times less games.)

The only thing I play on PC is Diablo 3 and LoL. And I've heard Diablo 3 is better on consoles!

If or when I finally buy a current-gen console, Xbox One has officially won the battle with the backwards compatibility thing. I have a ton of 360 games I haven't played yet.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.