Poll

What is your preferred gaming platform?

X-box one
Playstation 4
PC
mobile
cards

Author Topic: Console wars  (Read 3459 times)

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: Console wars
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 05:48:54 PM »
My experience with my current laptop (which is not an Alienware device but it's a pretty hefty guy in fairness) is that I have not had any issues worrying about DX or any other kind of compatibility. By and large I install a game and then I play it. Some games I have to turn the graphics down or else I get low frame rates (Witcher 3 is an example) but even at that my video card detects most AAA titles (which are for the most part the graphics hogs anyway) and determines what the optimal graphics levels are anyway.

I *have* avoided titles I've heard were buggy on the PC (the latest Assassin's Creed for example) but I think those bugs were more or less present on the consoles as well, or at least they only came to the fore when the devs had to scale up the game in question for what PC gamers expect. Honestly, I bought a XBone last year and just flat-out never played it after the first couple months. It sat on my shelf for about a year before I finally shipped it off as a gift to my younger brother.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 12:05:08 AM »
It's pretty indisputable that PCs have more games, more options, better graphics (if you can afford it that is), more updates for indie games, and a much more open community in terms of modding, troubleshooting, and so on.  I do think it's indisputable as well though, that PC games have more problems with optimization and incompatibilities in hardware.  It's also pretty indisputable that game companies don't seem to care as much about the products they release on PC compared to their console brethren, precisely because there are so many compatibility issues with it.  PC also is currently in a love/hate relationship with beta and alpha releases as well; it's cool to be able to play games as they are developed (ala Minecraft, Space Engineers, etc) but a lot of companies seem to take advantage of people's willingness to pay for unfinished games by NOT FINISHING THEM.

That being said, things are definitely changing.  Consoles are starting to get pre-releases I believe, they are also not plug and play anymore (as others have noted), I believe mods are starting to be included on the Xbone, and Steam is starting to release Steam console PCs which will maybe make game developers make their games with less compatibility issues and maybe make console gamers switch over to PCs.

For me, it really does come down to reliability, simplicity, exclusives, and what my brother and friends are playing on.  The exclusives really are a big deal for me to.  Even if the amount of them is really small in comparison to any other game environment, I still want to play any new Nintendo first party games of the classic franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc), and even if it's a while until I actually get a console to play its exclusives, I still want to play games like Uncharted, Last of Us, Halo, Destiny, and so on.  Until those kinds of games get absorbed into the PC market or all games get absorbed into some new, evolved market, I will still be buying consoles.  My strategy is not one of get shit as it is released though.  I didn't buy a PS3 until the PS4 came out and as a result I got the system for $100, and a stack of AAA titles for less than one new one. Nothing wrong with that.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 07:43:10 AM »
None of the above. I have a second-hand PS3, and it's not likely I'm going to be able to update any time soon.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 09:44:21 AM »
My time to game is so inconsistent, and I am concerned enough with having access to the games I purchase years from now, that a dedicated console just doesn't make sense to me anymore.  As an indie game lover I basically get all my games via Humble bundles and Kickstarter now anyways, and then only if there's a linux version.  Steam OS will be my gaming home of the future, supplemented by roms of course.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 10:28:29 AM »
My main problem with the PC is the lifecycle.  Consoles just stay relevant / stick around longer, and people design games for them.

My main problem with consoles is that I rarely, if ever get more than 30 mins once or twice a week.  And it seems like every time I use that to turn on a console, it needs to do updates, so I go use my PC.  That and the shitty shitty consumer "agreements" consoles use.  Oh and the need for a subscription to do too much stuff.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 11:02:08 AM »
In fairness, the previous generation of consoles stuck around waaaaaaay longer than anybody expected them to, in large part because of the recession. I would not expect the XBone/PS4 to last 8 years (although that's still better than the 1-2 years that a good computer "lasts" in the sense of being able to play AAA games without turning off all the graphics).
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 02:43:09 PM »
So what about this related question:

This or this?

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 03:14:24 PM »
Pre-built is for suckers who don't know what they're doing. You invariably pay more for less with pre-built.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 03:19:29 PM »
Pre-built is for suckers who don't know what they're doing. You invariably pay more for less with pre-built.

Build your own is for people who don't make $100s per hour.   >:D
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 03:26:15 PM »

Build your own is for people who don't make $100s per hour have spare machines just lying around.   >:D

FTFY

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 04:05:14 PM »
Having built all of my PCs except the last one I agree with both PANTS and Drewish.

Woah, did I just type that out?   :o

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 04:07:50 PM »
 :'(

personate-rain