Author Topic: Episode #521  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #521
« on: July 04, 2015, 09:36:24 AM »
Guest Rogue: Joanne Benhamu; Forgotten Superheroes of Science: Maria Goeppert-Mayer; News Items: Bionic Lens, Inside Out and Brain Metaphors, Pyramids on Mars and Ceres; Dumbest Thing of the Week: Eddie Van Halen and Discovery Institute; Your Questions and E-mails: Skeptical Questions; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline mddawson

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Episode #521
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 07:43:57 PM »
Re the film Inside Out. There was a similar idea in 'The Aunty Jack Show' on Australian TV in 1973.

In the episode 'The Ear, Nose & Throat Show' (S2 EP4) "Thin Arthur, Flange Desire and Kid Eager become lost inside Aunty Jack's body after they shrink themselves and attempt to remove her moustache."

In one scene they find their way into Aunty Jack's brain that has several small Aunty Jack's in a control room. There are TV monitor's, I assume representing replays of her memories, all showing boxing.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:24:29 PM by mddawson »
"I only take scientific comments when they are peer-reviewed rather than being published in a small local newspaper or scratched on a toilet wall somewhere."
Professor Peter Brown (2005).

Offline JohnM

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 07:56:34 AM »
great quote at the end by Evan

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 05:41:51 AM »
Steve mentioned that the idea of executive function was left out, I'd say that it seems they've also perpetuated a misperception by failing to include moods and thereby distinguish between moods and emotions.

Quote from: Searle, Great Courses, Philosophy of Mind
Every conscious state, comes with a certain sort of flavor to it, which I think is correctly described in English as a 'mood'. We always have some mood in which we're experiencing our consciousness. It needn't be a mood that's got a name, I'm not- in a normal case, say when I'm driving to work- I'm not especially depressed, nor especially elated, nor especially exasperated, or anxious, and I'm not even just 'blah,' I'm just driving to work, but nonetheless, even when I'm driving to work, there is a certain flavor or tone to my conscious states, and you become aware of that when there's a dramatic shift. You're driving to work and you hear on the radio that a war has just broken out, or they're going to raise taxes, or that your favorite team just lost, or whatever, or you get to the office and you open a letter saying that your income tax is being audited by the internal revenue service, or that you've won the lottery or whatever, and you will discover there is a dramatic shift in your mood, and mood is nowhere more obvious to you than when suddenly you get a dramatic shift, you feel lousy or you feel great, your mood shifts, and what that tells me is that it's characteristic of consciousness that it always comes in some mood or other. There's always some tone or flavor to consciousness, even in cases where that tone, flavor, or mood doesn't have a famous name like 'elation' or 'depression' or 'anxiety' or 'enthusiasm' or 'exuberance,' or 'exasperation.'

Moods are not to be confused with emotions. Moods will dispose you to having an emotion. Certain moods you're more likely to get angry than others, as we all know, but emotion is not the same as mood. Emotions, I think, always have to do with agitated forms of desire. Whenever you're in an emotional state, you have some sort of agitated desire. So, emotions are fairly special -- I am not always in some sort of emotional state or other, but I think I am always in some mood or other.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

personate-rain
personate-rain