Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 17350 times)

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: No Man's Sky
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2016, 02:48:29 PM »
Footage of Star Citizen is looking ... interesting.  I feel like that's another super-ambitious game that may or may not deliver on its promises, but I'm at least more hopeful as they seem to be focused on gameplay.

Star Citizen is WAAAAY worse. They have been raking in astronomical amounts of money (over 100 million USD) on kickstarter and selling pre-order ships (some for thousands of dollars per ship) that people can look at in hangars with the promise that they will be able to do all kinds of amazing things with them sometime in the future.

Meanwhile the game has been in pre-alpha stage for about four years (it was supposed to have been completed and shipped in 2016 )and currently it has no gameplay whatsoever. It is promising to have FPS, space sim, trading, single player and multiplayer withh every other kind of genre gameplay with the possible exception of climbing a construction site to save a princess while avoiding barrels thrown by an angry gorilla, but now it is slowly reaching the stage where players can actually do stuff.

At least No Man's Sky wasn't a gigantic scam that some suckers paid up to 15,000 USD not to enjoy (maybe not even play) sometime in the uncertain future.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2016, 04:42:24 PM »
As always, I reserve my judgement until the game ships.  But to me the reason why I'm more hopeful about Star Citizen is because (while it is overly ambitious) at least what they're selling you is a promise of concrete gameplay, rather than a promise of procedurally generated asterisk.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2016, 05:03:31 PM »
As always, I reserve my judgement until the game ships.  But to me the reason why I'm more hopeful about Star Citizen is because (while it is overly ambitious) at least what they're selling you is a promise of concrete gameplay, rather than a promise of procedurally generated asterisk.

A promise that can cost up to 15000 dollars and may or may not result in something tangible, maybe even before the heat death of the Universe vs an OK, in rare moments quite impressive, if not at all living up to its hype procedurally generated asterisk that you can actually get for 60 bucks.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2016, 06:31:52 PM »
Star Citizen is rapidly approaching the point where they HAVE to release something soon. Recently the company behind it lost a court judgment requiring them to issue a full refund because the game was so delayed and was also "no longer as advertised." People are starting to think about pulling out. And there have been several instances where the company has sneakily changed their TOS to make it harder and harder to get a refund. Every time they do that it just creates the impression of "No, this game is NOT anywhere close to release."

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2016, 06:33:01 AM »
I know a guy who's working on Star Citizen. It's not a scam. They actually plan to have a product at some time in the future.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2016, 07:35:32 AM »
I know a guy who's working on Star Citizen. It's not a scam. They actually plan to have a product at some time in the future.

I don't think its a scam. But Chris Roberts also has something of a Peter Moleneuyx type reputation for massively over-promising and then figuring out that he really CAN'T do what he wants in any kind of reasonable time frame. I think that's what we're seeing with Star Citizen now. Roberts is determined to only release the game when he's satisfied, the problem is that I'm not sure that will ever happen. He wants to add every possible thing he can to make it the ultimate experience. But technology and things keep advancing while he's developing the game so he's constantly seeing new things he wants to add, new features he wants to take advantage of, heck, new PLATFORMS he's like to see the game released on.

I'm not worried it's a scam. I'm worried it's going to collapse under its own weight and end up bought up by EA or Activison who will rush SOMETHING out the door that is a massively watered down version of what was promised.

If the game comes out I'll be on the first to grab it up, but as soon as I saw "Chris Roberts" there was no way I was sinking pre-release money into this thing.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2016, 05:40:26 PM »
I put what, $30 into it? Like four years ago? I'm okay with that. It's early access, you don't put money into that that you wouldn't be willing to flush down the toilet. If there are people who are okay with flushing thousands of bucks down the toilet, good for them. I don't really care how long the development takes, and if the game never comes out at all or gets crippled and rushed out the door? I don't really mind either, it's money down the toilet from the start as far as I'm concerned.

That's the healthy way to approach early access IMO.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2016, 07:57:11 PM »
Well, I don't think that's healthy either.  I think early access model is deeply flawed, specifically if/when the company fails to deliver on its promises, either not delivering in a timely manner (the lesser sin) or not delivering at all (the greater sin).

It's a lot easier to create hype than to create good software and it looks like gaming industry is starting to shift focus on making money off of hype by exploiting early access model.  That's not good for making good games.

My take on NMS vs. Star Citizen is that I'd rather have a good product delayed than a product that was really never going to live up to its promises anyway delivered on time.  I think Star Citizen looks like a real game.  NMS looks like a quintillion reskinned walking simulators, but it promised, quite literally, a universe to explore.

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2016, 08:44:26 PM »
I am OK with NMS releasing in this state, but I wish it was released as a work in progress for $30 instead of as a complete game for $60.  Everything I've read about it screams to me that they fully intended to do the things they promised (for example: multiplayer aspects were clearly removed very close to release as evidenced by European boxes having stickers changing the rating.) but ran into too many issues with all of their ideas and one-by-one, had to pull them from the final release until they had a mostly functional product that could make a release date they'd set.  I also imagine that Sony was very heavily pressuring them to release something/anything on time given their public backing and support of the game and publisher.  I know lot's of people are raging about Sean Murray "lying" to everyone, but I honestly think he meant every word he said and just maybe overestimated their ability to deliver.

Offline barocon

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Now we are at the edge of excitement!
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2016, 09:42:09 AM »
I don't think NMS would have worked as early access game because as far as I know it doesn't have much replayability.

But I don't think early access is a broken system. Many great games wouldn't have gone far without early access model. Rimworld, Factorio, KSP, Minecraft to name a few. Early access is like social security. Few people may exploit it but that doesn't mean it's a bad system.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2016, 10:37:25 AM »
Plenty of people are still enjoying this game in the state it's in and I think that as they add features back i  that they'd pulled before,  people will start playing it again and new people will be more and more likely to pick it up, especially if there's a price drop for the holiday season. Early access to me looks functionally the same to me as what's happening now,  only packaged and priced differently and with more friendly interactions with the studio.  What we have now is a rough shell of a game that is still fun and engaging and with tons of common sense refinements to make and innumerable features that would make a lot of sense to add.  Most importantly, people still want to like this game,  a lot.  You wouldn't have the outrage we are seeing if people didn't buy into the concepts of this game.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2016, 01:10:54 PM »
I read up on this game a lot, and I watched some gameplay videos on youtube. It looks alright, but with all the problems plaguing the PC launch and the very shallow gameplay, I don't think there is enough game there to justify the hype.

It sounds like, at EL said, they took out a bunch of stuff that was there, but not fully done or working, and just launched an empty shell that mostly worked. Hopefully they will keep releasing content as time goes by. Maybe I'll even play it eventually.

This dude seems like he has Peter Molyneux syndrome.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2016, 02:36:53 PM »
I read up on this game a lot, and I watched some gameplay videos on youtube. It looks alright, but with all the problems plaguing the PC launch and the very shallow gameplay, I don't think there is enough game there to justify the hype.

It sounds like, at EL said, they took out a bunch of stuff that was there, but not fully done or working, and just launched an empty shell that mostly worked. Hopefully they will keep releasing content as time goes by. Maybe I'll even play it eventually.

This dude seems like he has Peter Molyneux syndrome.

One thing that is really unclear is how much influence Sony had. There's some thought that they were really pushing for Hello Games to release SOMETHING. They'd sort of gone all in on pushing NMS and Hello Games so they may have exerted outsized influence over the release.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2016, 05:31:55 PM »
I would imagine that is the case, but after pushing the game back several times,  Hello Games is hardly blameless. 

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2016, 11:54:49 PM »
Oh hey, so remember how one of the biggest selling points of this game was that you could name shit that you discovered? Turns out you probably shouldn't invest too much time into thinking up witty names, because the game will delete them after two weeks anyway.

My sides.