Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 18088 times)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: No Man's Sky
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2016, 12:08:26 AM »
Oh hey, so remember how one of the biggest selling points of this game was that you could name shit that you discovered? Turns out you probably shouldn't invest too much time into thinking up witty names, because the game will delete them after two weeks anyway.

My sides.

Was just on my way to post this.  This is beyond the pale as far as I'm concerned.  There was a lot of stuff people were angry about that was at least debatable whether it was a promised feature or whether it's really a big deal that it's not in the game, but this...  This is beyond ridiculous.  This and reaching the center of the galaxy were the PRIMARY selling points of the game and now BOTH have been shown to be completely misrepresented by Hello Games.  Maybe they lied, maybe they just didn't know how to do what they intended, but I am officially past caring anymore.  This is inexcusable.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2016, 01:47:26 AM »
Infuriating, I agree.  But, one thing to note, planet and system names remain, it is flora and fauna names that disappear.  Still REALLY f'ing annoying.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2016, 04:10:58 AM »
OK.  Looks like the gun may have been jumped in reporting this as fact.   It appears to be a loading issue.  Still not a good thing, but not as bad as being unable to keep your discoveries.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2016, 04:45:04 PM »
First major update enexpectedly rolled
out today:

(click to show/hide)

Offline wastrel

« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2016, 07:01:06 PM »
Wow.  That's quite a bit.  There's going to be the inevitable guffawing that all of this should have been included at release, blah blah blah, but I like what I see and am going to check it out.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2016, 09:39:05 PM »
What I see is guffawing that this adds a bunch of stuff nobody asked for and none of the stuff that was promised for release and not delivered. Fully justified and valid guffawing, I might add. And yet there's also a whole bunch of people defending this game, this update, and this company. Oh how quickly people forget.

Offline wastrel

« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2016, 12:22:04 AM »
Thanks for the inevitable curmudgeonly reply.  I don't disagree that the game was not ready to be released in the state that it was in at launch.  But the bitching has been made, the game has been launched.  Any further bitching is just more of the same.

I see this release, the first of many planned, as a step in the right direction.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »
Thanks for the inevitable curmudgeonly reply.

Shall I remind you that I was 100% right about everything regarding this game right from the start?

I see this release, the first of many planned, as a step in the right direction.

Well no, it's not. That's my point. It's a step, yes, but in a completely different direction than was promised and that people actually wanted. If you consider that the right direction, I don't know what to tell you.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2016, 09:00:56 PM »
I think the survival mode is a definite step in the right (read: promised) direction.  It really is excessively difficult.  Like died from exposure in 15 minutes.  Redistribution of harvestible items, more NPCs than just 1 at a time, new tools for harvesting that make it a little more complicated than just point and shoot, and perhaps more that I haven't seem for myself also seem like steps in the right direction.  Base-building and freighters are neat, but seem like distractions to me.  This update all in all, is not enough to draw me back in, but it is substantial and does at least a few things right.  Doesn't undo any of their mistakes or right their wrongs, but it's perhaps the best we can hope for at this point.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2016, 03:44:28 AM »
I don't remember Murray promising complex survival elements and base-building.

You can't improve a bad game by tacking on random things. They basically went, "Oh no, people hate our game! Quick, what's popular these days? Oh right, survival games where you build things out of blocks. Let's throw some of that in!"

How about making combat on foot and in space more interesting? How about allowing you to actually control the damn spaceship properly in atmosphere? Basic things, core gameplay. You want to see a space game that's being developed correctly, look no further than Starsector. That started out by perfecting its core gameplay first, that being ship-to-ship combat, and is now fleshing out its sandbox overworld map. NMS is doing things the other way around, it's adding random crap while the things you actually do, running, flying, shooting, remain appallingly bad. And of course Starsector is honest and open about its early-access nature, NMS was just an outright scam.

It seems obvious to me the guys at Hello Games have no idea what the hell they're doing and have no vision for what the game is ultimately supposed to be. They've added some automated mining gizmos that you attach to ore deposits so that they mine for you. "Our core gameplay mechanics are so good and fun that your reward is not having to do them." Mmm.

Just hopeless.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:47:59 AM by Sordid »

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2016, 06:24:14 AM »
I am still not seeing any sign of the content that was promised in the pre-release videos and then unceremoniously cut. Like worlds that seem alive and teeming with wildlife instead of a few horrific rng abominations milling around among the near-barren clumps of rock.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2016, 07:19:20 AM »
They have refined their world generation to make it so every planet isn't the same.  In just the hour or so I've mucked about with the update, I've seen very different lifeforms and ships then I've seen before.  Users on reddit have reported that space battles are much more engaging.  Having played it some, I actually do think the bases and freighters do add to the gameplay in a positive way by making it plausible to actually store all the stuff you need to.  The NPC's also now have some race-specific stuff to them in terms of your interaction making them a little more colorful.  They've made reasonable performance and visual improvements. And last but not least, upping the difficulty all around has made the grind itself a more interesting and thoughtful affair then it was before.

I say that these elements build towards what was promised not in that they are specific elements of the pre-launch marketing which was removed, but in that they step towards the game being actually challenging, engaging, and deep.  To be clear, I don't think they are even close to the vision they sold us, even in general concept, but I do think these additions are more than just tacked on BS to placate us.  The fact that some of these things seem to be directly in response to people's complaints (especially the lack of difficulty) is particularly heartening that they may one day get there. 

Is this game now perfect?  Nope.  Is this game now what any of us expected?  Definitely not.  Hell, I'm not even planning on playing the thing in depth until they do more.  All I see here is Hello Games showing us that they are intending to continue working on this game and making it better, and showing some evidence that they do still care and are listening. I will never spend another dollar on them or this game, but I think that you are selling this update far short of what it deserves. 

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2016, 08:40:30 AM »
If Hello Games listened and cared, they would refund everybody who bought their scam, close the studio, and pursue careers in flipping burgers. What they're actually doing is trying to pull the same scam twice, and I'm amazed how well it's working. Reddit and other places are suddenly full of people defending the game and its developers and dreaming about what wonders the future updates might bring. I mean, I knew people would eventually forget and fall for it again, but I thought it would happen when the current generation of excitable (and now disappointed) teenage gamers grew up and was replaced by a new, inexperienced generation. That's how it's been in the past. Daggerfall in 1996, Spore in 2008, NMS in 2016, these massively overhyped games come roughly once a decade, give or take a couple of years. The fact that the very same hype train that crashed and burned once already is underway again, and the very same people who were in the first crash are jumping right back on... that's nothing short of amazing to me. As if I didn't have enough disdain for humanity already.

Hello Games right now is like a car mechanic who installs a new stereo and puts the car through a car wash instead of replacing a flat tire. Yeah, sure, he made improvements to the car, but they're not really what the car needed or the owner wanted. Lots of companies do that. Why does Rockstar keep adding more cars to GTA Online instead of fixing the absolutely retarded control scheme, non-functional matchmaking, and a host of other issues the game has? Because fixing issues doesn't make money. More cars to buy = more in-game currency sales in the cash shop. Same thing with NMS. Hello Games wants more money. Can't make more money selling the game as it is, can't make money selling DLC for a game everyone hates. Solution: Release a bunch of free updates to get people excited again, sell horrifically overpriced DLC that still doesn't fix the issues. Wanna bet that's how it's going to go down?

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2016, 09:11:27 AM »
This game's launch in its entirety is pretty unprecedented.  Yes, elements parallel with some past events, but the scale of it all is pretty unique, especially for revolving around a company of 10 or so people who've only made 2 other, much smaller games before this. 

Honestly, I think your stance is kind of insane.  First off, if they cared, it wouldn't be a scam by definition.  Second, Hello Games couldn't refund everyone their money, even if they wanted to due to the way people bought it in the first place as Hello Games is not a retail outlet.  Lastly, while closing the studio (or at least restructuring and rebranding) would make a lot of sense, it would make no sense for all of these people to give up their entire careers over this.  Maybe, maybe Sean Murray since he was the leader and figurehead behind all this, but not the rank and file programmers. 

As for the positive reaction on reddit and elsewhere, I am with you that it's astounding how the mood shifted so drastically overnight, but I think it's likely because people are toxic'd out more than gaining a sudden affection for Hello Games.  Besides, literally every thread I've read so far has contained comments of, "I will never trust HG again or spend another cent on their product, but this isn't half bad."  There's no money component to this anymore at this point as the launch was fairly huge (due to the hype) and almost every place selling NMS is doing so for much less than $60. That's why this update shows HG at least still cares about working on this project.  They could easily have cut and run but instead they worked on this for the last 3 months and are claiming it's just the beginning.  They are literally losing money by paying their developers to work on a product which won't bring in enough revenue to cover their cost and if that doesn't show an investment in making this game better (even if it is different) then I don't know what will.

They can never unfuck what they've fucked up, but this update is at least a nice gesture, even if it could have and should have been better both in form and execution.  I for one, will continue to judge each update on its merits as well as the company, and as well as the game as a whole since, why the fuck not?  What do I have to lose by honestly analyzing new content for a game I already own?  What do I have to gain by encouraging the developer to abandon any further updates? 

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2016, 10:33:19 AM »
Why does Rockstar keep adding more cars to GTA Online instead of fixing the absolutely retarded control scheme, non-functional matchmaking, and a host of other issues the game has?
What are you even talking about? You've clearly never played GTA. The matchmaking is fully functional; I know because I've been on it for the past few months and it's been great. The control scheme is not ideal, but it's fine. Sure, they could focus less on microtransactions, but you are being incredibly disingenuous by railing at them that they didn't "fix" GTA Online after the huge amount of content they've been putting out since lauch. Free content, by the way. You need to stop hatesturbating on reddit and start actually playing the games.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

personate-rain