Author Topic: Any comparsions between tablet/cell phone vs laptop/desktop processors?  (Read 471 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
As I posted a while back, I decided to get a quad core 11 inch tablet. I noted that it can run a full HD movie while my netbook cannot.

Noticed when I looked up the "Raspberry P" (based on the thread about that) that the Wiki article states that the processor is approximately the equivalent of 300 MHz Pentium II of 1997-1999.

It would be nice to find a comparison between tablet/cell phone and laptop/desktop in order to see how they do compare in the grand scheme of things?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline andy o

• Not Enough Spare Time
If you google CPU benchmarks you can see various benchmark software comparisons of different CPUs. I don't think those comparisons mean much in the grand scheme of things though, especially if you're comparing a modern low-end with an old high-end CPU. You'd have to compare specific tasks individually.

Also, modern mobile chips come integrated in a package called a System-on-Chip. For video and other things, these SOCs usually have dedicated chips for different dedicated functions. For instance, this is the SOC on my phone: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/805