Author Topic: So what is "Contact" like?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
So what is "Contact" like?
« on: July 30, 2015, 05:27:09 PM »
You know, Carl Sagan's only science fiction book.

I've seen it described as a manifesto against woo, or an illustration of what humanity could achieve if we worked together for a greater goal.

Has anyone here read it? thoughts on it+ How is the book compared to the movie (I have neither watched the movie or read the book)?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: So what is "Contact" like?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 05:43:13 PM »
Read it once, ages ago.  My memory of it is that it was fine.  Neither good enough nor bad enough to be memorable.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Grimner

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 05:52:57 AM »
Its been awhile, should read it again but here goes:
Heavy on the science part and that is what keeps the book ticking. Not a great SF book, but a good treatment of what if we made contact. Which does not make much sense since good SF can do that very well, but it lacks a bit of colour.

The movie had better characters and I wish the book had that in additions to the science. If you are after Carl Sagan's manifesto against woo, that would be "Candle in the Dark".
Quaere verum

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
    • The old Skeptics SA website
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 06:32:47 AM »
I feel the movie has a quite realistic protagonist who has an influence in the first half. The interaction with the religious philosopher is pretty interesting. It has a nice twist at the end.

personate-rain
personate-rain