Author Topic: Amazon Echo  (Read 1642 times)

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Amazon Echo
« on: August 05, 2015, 02:16:08 PM »
My cousin in Detroit got one of these early. He loves it. It's basically a fixed Siri. Will be along time before they're sold in Canada. Because we suck.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: Amazon Echo
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »
I have one.  Music, weather, basic math, ... anything else and it's fairly useless.  So yeah, basically like every other voice recognition assistant out there.  It basically makes for a really convenient radio (especially when your hands are full) with the potential for new features in the future as they upgrade their services on the backend.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 07:31:21 PM »
I have one too.  It's a promising start.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline EgeneBlankenship

• Banned
  • Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:25:12 PM »
My cousin in Detroit got one of these early. He loves it. It's basically a fixed Siri. Will be along time before they're sold in Canada. Because we suck.

It's like the futuristic part of Carousel of Progress come to life. 

Offline jmiked

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 12:36:28 PM »
I've had one for 3-4 months. At this point it's only moderately useful. I use it for timers and streaming radio. I get a lot of false triggers when listening to TV. The people that make the home automation (HA) software I use are in the process of figuring out how to integrate the Echo into the system so we can control the HA stuff by voice, which will be very nice.

The introductory price was $100 (including the remote), which was OK. Now it's ~$210 with the remote, which makes it too expensive for what it does, IMHO. Particularly since I currently use an iPhone that has Siri. For what I do, Siri is much more useful at the moment, but given how rapidly Amazon is adding features to the Echo, that situation may not last all that long. If the price were still $100, I'd consider getting a second unit for the back of the house.

The sound is a bit boomy, though. I wish it had some sort of equalization control.

Online TheIrreverend

• A Nonsensical Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • On Her Majesty's Prosecution Service
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 08:56:51 PM »
Will be along time before they're sold in Canada. Because we suck.

I just want to know when the hell we're getting Amazon Prime Instant Video.
"I'm this generation's Disney" - Kanye West, philosopher

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 10:34:27 AM »
Screw the Echo. I want a Jibo.

https://www.jibo.com/

Everything about the demo video looks cooked, for sure. But, still. Interestingly models seem to be sold out but I can't seem to find any real world youtube videos of it.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 12:01:59 PM »
Screw the Echo. I want a Jibo.

https://www.jibo.com/

Everything about the demo video looks cooked, for sure. But, still. Interestingly models seem to be sold out but I can't seem to find any real world youtube videos of it.

The fact that it's not available yet means it cannot do the things in the video. Apple is pretty advanced, but it's a standing joke how often Siri misunderstands what you say. In the video people are speaking to Jibo in slang, and the implication is that it understands.

I call vaporware. If it ever comes to market it will be just as buggy and unreliable as Siri. It's Siri with a camera and some pointing motors. More likely, it's a scam: A plausible-sounding project that some people will invest in, creating employment and income for the owner and perhaps a few friends. People invested in EEstor. They'll invest in this.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck