Author Topic: How to lend a kindle book out  (Read 2245 times)

Offline petrolpetal

• Frequent Poster
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
How to lend a kindle book out
« on: August 08, 2015, 06:15:05 AM »
I understand that there is a way to lend others Kindle books you have purchased. A legitimate, kindle-sanctioned way. I can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone help?

Ps I am also unable to move kindle books from the device to 'Calibre' or anywhere else on my computer. This is surely something that should be possible, yes?

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: How to lend a kindle book out
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 09:13:09 AM »
Wait, we can lend out books?
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline petrolpetal

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 09:37:50 AM »
Yes, I distinctly remember this as one of their selling points in encouraging the transition from hard copy to e-book - but I didn't pursue it at the time and now I can't find any trace of it. Or rather I find references to it but no instructions on how to do it.

Offline petrolpetal

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 10:05:04 AM »
I can answer part of my question now - you can lend a kindle book to a friend once, for 14 days BUT only if the publisher has identified the book as 'lendable' ... and you can't usually get that info prior to making the purchase...

So, I just checked my books - many,many,many of them; across a wide range of genres, and both new and classic, and ....SURPRISE! Not a single one is 'lendable'.  NOT EVEN THE WONDERFUL BOOKS by SLICK and HALLEYS COMET!! [But they are cheap (or were cheap) and are well worth a read... ].  Anyway, I digress ...

The kindle lending  promise was a con....

For me isolated here in SA, postage makes it impractical. But if I was in the States, I would try to set up a hard copy postal book lending sgu group and see if it might work. I guess real addresses might be problematic though ...

Alternatively, there are other possibilities if the e-book can be moved from the device to the computer ... Can a kindle book be moved like that as a mobi or e-pub or whatever file?

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 11:57:10 AM »
If you download the book to a PC and convert to epub...

Can't you download books you own via Amazon's website?
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 03:04:09 PM »
I can answer part of my question now - you can lend a kindle book to a friend once, for 14 days BUT only if the publisher has identified the book as 'lendable' ... and you can't usually get that info prior to making the purchase...

So, I just checked my books - many,many,many of them; across a wide range of genres, and both new and classic, and ....SURPRISE! Not a single one is 'lendable'.  NOT EVEN THE WONDERFUL BOOKS by SLICK and HALLEYS COMET!! [But they are cheap (or were cheap) and are well worth a read... ].  Anyway, I digress ...

The kindle lending  promise was a con....

For me isolated here in SA, postage makes it impractical. But if I was in the States, I would try to set up a hard copy postal book lending sgu group and see if it might work. I guess real addresses might be problematic though ...

Alternatively, there are other possibilities if the e-book can be moved from the device to the computer ... Can a kindle book be moved like that as a mobi or e-pub or whatever file?

Four years ago when I started reading again, my friend bought a Kindle.  "You should get one Sawyer, we could share books!"

Ziiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggg!

Once again, my aversion to modern technology has proven to be valid.  Now if you'll excuse me I need to go drive 20 miles to return a book to the library.

Offline petrolpetal

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 03:42:05 PM »
Yeah - it burns me up that I spend so very much money on books and can't lend them out. When I used to buy all my books in hard copy I had this wonderful system going - I would parcel them up every 3 months or so and send them by courier to my stepdaughter, then, about 3 months after that she would send them to my mom, and then they would be send on to at least another 3-5 people before the books finally got donated to a charity shop at the end. Of course I was receiving books in return. It worked like clockwork.

Kindle books are so convenient- someone can recommend something and minutes later you can be reading it; OR you get the Man-Booker longlist delivered by email and one impulsive martini-soaked evening later and you have the whole lot queued up waiting for you to read ...
but the price of a book is very expensive if only one person is going to be reading it. And I miss the enjoyment of passing the books on and discussing them with my friends and family. It is a hugely significant little ritual missing between myself, my stepdaughter and my mom.

Because of this, I now try to at least buy a mix of electronic and hardcopy. If I had the necessary patience, I would aim to buy everything hard copy, I think, but sometimes I just have to have the book instantly.

Offline petrolpetal

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 03:55:19 PM »

Yes, but only to a kindle - then I can't move the content from the kindle to the PC ...
There must be a way. I'll keep fiddling.

Offline jmiked

• Off to a Start
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 11:28:54 PM »

Yes, but only to a kindle - then I can't move the content from the kindle to the PC ...
There must be a way. I'll keep fiddling.

You can download the book from Amazon to a PC or a Mac (or Android or IOS device), using the Kindle app. Most books you download from Amazon are keyed to the device it is downloaded to (there are exceptions), you can't just copy it to another device. This is because of the Digital Rights Management (DRM), which Apple, B&N, and Kobo use also (although not the same type). The only way to move a downloaded DRM'ed ebook to another device is to remove the DRM.

Offline jmiked

• Off to a Start
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 11:31:41 PM »

Once again, my aversion to modern technology has proven to be valid.  Now if you'll excuse me I need to go drive 20 miles to return a book to the library.

My brother and I have Kindles registered to the same account. That we we both have access to all the books purchased.