Author Topic: Good "Hard Science" Podcasts?  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
Good "Hard Science" Podcasts?
« on: August 15, 2015, 01:22:43 PM »
I'm curious if SGU fans have any favorite hard science podcasts.  I don't mean "hard" in the normal scientific sense, ie physics and chemistry versus psychology and anthropology, but in the more general sense of being challenging and in-depth.  I've found that a lot of my favorite popular science books and podcasts tend to cut short discussions right at the point where I start getting really engaged.  The two biggest offenders on my subscription list are Science Friday and Radiolab, but almost every skeptical podcast I listen to falls into this trap from time to time.  I've discovered that having your ignorance revealed from time to time ultimately makes the world science more interesting.

Any recommendations?  I particularly like This Week in Virology and its spinoff podcasts because they tend to venture a few steps beyond my level of knowledge.  I also listen to Mark Crislip's podcasts from time to time but they are a bit too technical for a casual listener.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Good "Hard Science" Podcasts?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »
I like StarStuff with Stuart Gary.  He gets a little more in-depth than some other astronomy shows.  The only annoying thing is that he has a tendency to give the entire content of an interview in his introduction before playing the tape.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »
Titanium Physicists podcast is a pretty good podcast where three physicists explain a physics concept to a non physicist.
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline oon

• Brand New
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 06:52:28 PM »
Try

http://www.scienceforthepeople.ca/ - Has interviews with scientists each episode, even if it's focused on their books I find it worthwhile, and since it's 60min episodes they have time to go through stuff a bit more thoroughly.

http://www.nature.com/nature/podcast/index.html - Some stuff from the Nature publications, some of the episodes are quite short though.

http://www.astronomycast.com/ - Very informative and I feel like they try to go quite indepth. If you're interested in astronomy that is.

http://www.sciencesortof.com/ - A bit more laid back but still hosted by scientists who can give some good insights into their respective subjects.

http://radio.seti.org/ - A bit more fun than some other podcasts but one of my favourite ones. Hosted by Seth Shostak who's a senior astronomer at SETI.

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 07:11:12 PM »
Lordy, that's a hard one. I have so many on my playlist. Many are news oriented, like the Nature podcast. Some don't quite fit your requirements cause they leave me wanting more (Infinite Monkey Cage).

One that is pretty thorough is Singularity 1 on 1 but it's more technology and future of humanity oriented.

Data Skeptic is actually quite well done if you're into big data and statistics. And I believe it's put on by a fan of SGU.

The Joe Rogan Experience (yes, I know...) is extremely thorough but you have to pick and choose your episodes wisely.

The Prism is two skeptical dentists who were interviewed on SGU in the great flossing controversy episode.

Lastly (although I could go on) Inquiring Minds is a long format interview show covering diverse topics in the science and medical field.

Btw, I just subscribed to the Titanium Physicists based on a suggestion above. Soooo right up my alley!

-UPC
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 09:26:39 PM »
The Science For The People one looks right up my alley.  Unfortunately I can already tell that it is going to make my already unmanageable reading list even longer.

AstronomyCast and Inquiring Minds are already on my list.  I may start just skipping the news segments of Inquiring Minds and only listen to the interviews.  I think I've heard the "Phony Chocolate Diet" news story on five different podcasts at this point.

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 10:01:25 PM »
You are not so smart is a good skepticalish psychology podcast.
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 09:23:11 PM »
I just started listening to Titanium Physicists and I'm
sold.  Hard core physics with entertainment.

Although their "Once you go Black hole you'll never go back hole" left me with a ...whiskey tango foxtrot moment.

Besides that, it's real real good.

-UPC
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!