Author Topic: Any Wazers Here?  (Read 5015 times)

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Any Wazers Here?
« on: August 17, 2015, 06:37:34 PM »
Do you use the Waze app for your turn by turn directions when driving?

For those who don't know, Waze is a mapping app that leverages the power of social media and tracking of users' positions to supposedly find the quickest route to your destination.

If you use it, what do you think about it? More specifically, do you trust it?

I ask because I use it to drive to and from work just to alert me if I should take a different route because of some accident or roadwork. It's typically an hour commute for 20 miles.

Lately it has been giving me some oddball ways to get onto the interstate where traffic jams are notorious. So last night I decided to ignore it's suggestion. ETA before ignoring was 45 minutes. Then right after it recalculated and gave me my normal route, ETA was 39 minutes.

I'm just wondering what your experience has been.

-UPC
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
Re: Any Wazers Here?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 06:48:25 PM »
Short correction, Waze doesn't employ Social Media, it employs other users of the same app (crowd-sourcing is the often used term).
I've been using it since WAAAAY WAAAY back (it is an Israeli invention, and its early versions, still on Windows Mobile 6, was available only in Israel and was eons ahead of its time).

Having used it for that long, I can assure you that it's ALWAYS right.
Even when driving routes I know well, if it suddenly tells me to go a different route - I comply, because every single time I didn't I got stuck in unexpected traffic or delays.

Sent from my Nexus 7
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 08:02:04 PM »
I like it, I have been using it for a few moths now. I like getting driving achievements and knowing where the cops are.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 08:56:42 PM »
Yup. There aren't a lot of people in my area who also use it, but enough that it's useful. And my experience is the same as Ambious' - whenever it's told me to go in an unexpected direction and I haven't, I've encountered some problem on the road.

It's very good. I haven't done a great deal of map editing apart from changing the name of one particular road from Forrest Dr to Forest Dr, but that's pretty much because the map of the areas where I drive is almost always correct. I reported a brand new roundabout once, but was not the editor who added it.

I have 147107 Waze points.

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 07:12:56 AM »
I use it on my daily work commutes but I find that often  the problems that people have reported are no longer there by the time I get to the reported location.
I've also found that it's better to use the fastest route option rather than the shortest route option. The short routes tend to be convoluted and use obscure side streets.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 08:58:08 AM »
I prefer just checking the map before I leave (turn by turn directions annoy me for all the unnecessary instructions they give about not exiting when I'm not supposed to), but I've heard good things about Waze.

Is it good solely for turn by turn, or is the map also more helpful than google?
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:12:10 AM »
I prefer just checking the map before I leave (turn by turn directions annoy me for all the unnecessary instructions they give about not exiting when I'm not supposed to), but I've heard good things about Waze.

Is it good solely for turn by turn, or is the map also more helpful than google?
It has a feature where the map automatically zooms in as you slow down so that the smaller street names can be read. It zooms back out when you speed up which eliminates a lot of extraneous information. I think in Google maps you have to do this manually.
It also switches from day to night mode colors automatically which helps when driving at night but the best feature really is the near real-time notification of traffic hazards, traffic jams and police locations etc. 
If you find the audio instructions annoying, just turn down the prompts volume in Waze.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:15:16 AM by Skulker »
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 09:16:11 AM »
Well, that pretty much sold me.  :laugh:  Thanks!
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline UnicornPoop

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »
I haven't used google maps or Apple maps in a long while. One nice thing about Waze is that it will look two turns ahead, which is a great feature when you're driving on crowded streets and can't afford to look at the map.

It will tell you to "Exit right at exit 319 and then stay to the right to Bradley Blvd" for example. That's really good to know if two lanes are exiting right and you need to be in the right lane.

-UPC

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 08:22:14 PM »
I use it on my daily work commutes but I find that often  the problems that people have reported are no longer there by the time I get to the reported location.
I've also found that it's better to use the fastest route option rather than the shortest route option. The short routes tend to be convoluted and use obscure side streets.

True,  and absolutely. Fastest route is always preferable.

Offline UnicornPoop

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 08:51:17 PM »

Well this goes back to my original point. I experimented and found that it gave me a route that wasn't fastest for me. And I've wondered if it detoured me to take traffic off the road to ensure the "collective" had the fastest route vs the individual.

-UPC

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 11:56:50 AM »
I was going to smugly claim that I don't generally drive places where I don't already know the best, second best, and third best ways to get there.   Then I realized that was sad.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 12:49:52 PM »
I was going to smugly claim that I don't generally drive places where I don't already know the best, second best, and third best ways to get there.   Then I realized that was sad.

Me too, but that's the point. When I'm taking the usual route and suddenly Waze tells me to take a different route, it probably means it's for a good reason, and every time I didn't heed its advice I ran into unexpected traffic. Several times I did take its advice and later heard of road closures, accidents etc. in my originally planned route.
Bottom line: it's not about navigation, it's about traffic avoidance.
–Maimonides

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 12:56:20 PM »
I suppose.

I've also arranged my life to a large extent around never needing to go anywhere where traffic problems typically arise (we carefully chose the neighbourhood for our home based around the concept of already being almost where we need to go before we even leave the house).

The (non-zero) likelihood for crippling traffic problems is so small that I would never load up Waze routinely.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 04:14:07 PM »
I suppose.

I've also arranged my life to a large extent around never needing to go anywhere where traffic problems typically arise (we carefully chose the neighbourhood for our home based around the concept of already being almost where we need to go before we even leave the house).

The (non-zero) likelihood for crippling traffic problems is so small that I would never load up Waze routinely.

True, I personally only use it when I get out of town, which is rare.
And while I was never LATE anywhere getting stuck in traffic, it is extremely annoying.
–Maimonides

personate-rain
personate-rain