Author Topic: Episode #531  (Read 3950 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Episode #531
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 10:01:49 AM »
I also love the new segment, and look forward to more.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »
The new segment is already my favorite.

Yeah I think the new segment has a lot of potential. Excellent idea! Where do I send word suggestions?

I think Cara is really starting to shine. I hope she stays around for the long haul.

I am finding her a little bit talky.  I feel like if the podcast were unbounded she and Steve would go on for hours.  Which isn't totally a bad thing, of course : )

I think she does better on a panel like SGU than on her own interview podcast - where she asks good questions and then mixes in too much of her own thoughts and experiences with the guest answers... and I don't think I've heard a single episode where she hasn't talked about her PhD.
Amend and resubmit.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 01:56:57 PM »
I haven't heard her podcast, but I find that a lot of people do better on the SGU podcast, than they do in similar circumstances (like other podcasts). Mostly I've put it down to it being a bigger group so there's more variety and interaction, less chance of one person going stale on a train of thought.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 09:33:15 PM »
Thank you, Cara!!! I got my PhD in stochastic processes, and am currently doing a postdoc in that field. It has been so hard to tell people what "stochastic" means. You did a great job!!!

Offline mwestley

• Brand New
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »
I'm surprised that Steve didn't mention that research has implicated brown-headed cowbirds in destroying nests of birds that do not accept their parasitic young. Cowbirds also will destroy unparasitized nests to force the unwilling foster birds into laying more eggs which are then parasitized. I've always wondered how the fledgling cowbirds manage to figure out that they are cowbirds and don't try to breed with the species that raise them, but they are corvids like crows and jays, a smart group.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 09:36:19 AM »
What's interesting is Haber was Jewish (although he converted to Christianity at some point). The reasoning goes: without his process Germany it would not have been a long war and conditions would not have been such that saw the rise of Nazism. The Nazis force Haber to flee Germany and died in exile.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Crash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Dogspeed John Glenn.
    • What I do for fun
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 12:42:29 PM »
When Cara mentioned the star display above LA I was reminded of a favorite line in the movie "LA Story" when Daryl Hannah looks up to the sky and says to Steve Martin,  "Look at the stars.  There's dozens of them".

Offline Plain Simple

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 03:55:42 AM »
Many congratulations to Jay and Courtney and their family!

Offline Vincegamer

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 05:39:45 PM »
Hey  :steve:
Sometimes a time machine IS a phone booth!
“If you took the kind of working practices of herbal remedies and scaled them up and used them on a whole population you’d have a hell of a lot more giant cock-ups.”
- Ben Goldacre

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 06:15:45 PM »
Hey  :steve:
Sometimes a time machine IS a phone booth!

"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Online gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 03:56:27 PM »
In the "what's the word" segment, Cara mentioned vocabulary.com's frequency estimate and commented that the algorithm used was likely proprietary.

I strongly suspect that's not the case, and that it's just a simple count from a large corpus of text. It might even be directly from the Google Books corpus, as the figure of 1 in 350k words (not pages) matches the frequency given by http://books.google.com/ngrams.

It may once have been difficult to come by such information, but with so many digitized textx these days, it's become a matter of telling a computer to count elements in a (very long) list.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

personate-rain