Author Topic: Share your Kerbal Space Program exploits!  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
Share your Kerbal Space Program exploits!
« on: August 23, 2015, 04:22:18 AM »
This game has been taking a lot of my free time lately, and boy is it tough but rewarding!

That's my primary scientist being super derpy and excited about landing on Minimus (Kerbin's second moon).

And here:

You have me attempting to dock the 3rd module of my Space Station... VERTICALLY. It was nerve wrecking and utterly useless, since I discovered the scanner at the top is useless in equatorial orbits, so I later rebuilt the module without it and did the whole thing again.

And here:

Is my ultimately failed attempt at launching a space-shuttle. I've tried several different models, none of them made it to orbit.

You can see my whole album here, and you can get Kerbal Space Program here (33% off for the next 8 hours!)
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
Re: Share your Kerbal Space Program exploits!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 10:45:08 AM »
Yikes, I've never even tried a Shuttle design.  The offset thrust confuses and infuriates me.  Nicely done.

Funny, I was about to post a similar thread.  I've been surprised there hasn't been one, based on the SGU audience.  I know Jay's mentioned the game on the show.

Anyways, here are 2 of my more zany exploits.  I say zany, because neither of them involve space travel.  Both of these were responses to Challenges on the forum.  The first was to use a mod with antigravity "thrusters" - and race around a Red Bull type air track.  I decided to build a Star Wars style Podracer, which turned out to be a horrible, horrible idea.  This is how I went about doing it, and it proved to be my most popular video.  Many kerbals died to bring us this data.

The second one was to fake a space ship landing using Hollywood style effects, due to budget cuts.  We weren't allowed to actually go into space or make real spaceships.  So I made a 50s style sci-fi B-movie.  I included the "Making Of" at the end.  To give some context, version 1.0 of Kerbal Space Program just came out, which introduced finally female astronauts.  Also, planet Kerbin's closest satellite is the Mun.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:51:32 AM by Mormegil »

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:50:11 AM »
Those are awesome! :-D
As for the shuttle, the offset is exactly what killed them.
I tried firing the engines on the shuttle to create an opposing force, which worked for a while, but as soon as the fuel started running low the weight dropped and I started spinning and sometimes exploding.
I probably could have made it with careful enough staging, but it wasn't worth the effort, so I decided to try an SSTO instead (which works, just never has enough fuel to complete orbit).
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 11:25:40 AM »
Those are awesome! :-D
As for the shuttle, the offset is exactly what killed them.

Sometime ago, I watched Scott Manley doing shuttles.  I think the trick was to angle the engines so the thrust goes through the center of mass. 

Found it.  Looks like he did this before the new rotate function was put into the VAB.

Looking at your SSTO, I'm guessing those outboard engines are causing a bit too much drag.  I haven't unlocked RAPIERs yet in my career mode, but I did manage to build an SSTO that can barely make it to my 100km x 100km space station carrying either 4 kerbanauts or a very small cargo payload.  I built it with two turbo ramjets mounted through the wings, and one rocket (can't remember if it's the 30 or 45 swivel) on the main fuselage.  I found my ascent profile made all the difference.  I spend the better part of a day figuring out exactly what angle to ascend at, when to level out to build up speed, when to engage the rocket engine and at what angle to do so.