Author Topic: Testing female battle Armor  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Testing female battle Armor
« on: August 29, 2015, 10:31:56 AM »
Well, battle bikinis would be more accurate. Unsurprisingly, the costumes fell to pieces almost immediately.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline neverbug

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Actual Mermaid
Re: Testing female battle Armor
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 05:16:09 PM »
I personally always wear a battle bikini for Taekwondo.

No but really, that was entertaining. It goes for female superheros too. You just kind of have to laugh, because in what world would any of this stuff actually protect her/allow her to fight? I get aesthetics and all to an extent, but staying alive is probably the sexiest thing you can do  :laugh:

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 10:01:57 PM »
Im really not sure what the point of that was, to be honest. (Apart from being amusing, which is a perfectly fine reason to make something)

They showed that... its unrealistic for people to kick while wearing shoes? (The first major piece that failed on the girl in the white costume was her shoe / sandal thing came off). I feel like we have pretty good evidence that it is possible to wear footwear in that style without it breaking.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 04:41:27 AM »
Meanwhile, in Star Wars:

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 09:25:15 AM »
Im really not sure what the point of that was, to be honest. (Apart from being amusing, which is a perfectly fine reason to make something)

They showed that... its unrealistic for people to kick while wearing shoes? (The first major piece that failed on the girl in the white costume was her shoe / sandal thing came off). I feel like we have pretty good evidence that it is possible to wear footwear in that style without it breaking.
The series is more about being silly with video game culture than actually doing Mythbusters type stuff. For example, there's another episode where they test Gauntlet's mechanics by "injuring" their two stooges by getting them drunk, waking them up early in the morning, and making them eat old food that had been left out as in a dungeon. Science says they barfed!
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 08:48:47 AM »
I feel more aroused than amused.
I think it would be cool to keep those outfits in games as an option but have them give movement and damage penalties to the wearer, so that kicking someones ass in them is considered the amazing feat it would be!

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 09:33:01 AM »
Meanwhile, in Star Wars:

Just look at all this un-feminine battle armor. 

It's almost like the military went for practicality and safety over trying to sex-up the women.

http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 10:44:32 AM »
But where do they put their boobs?!!

Offline neverbug

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Actual Mermaid
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 08:28:26 AM »
Meanwhile, in Star Wars:

This is amazing.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 09:14:19 AM »
Agreed. That woman is an absolute legend. Im half hoping they might cast her as Big Barda in a DC movie but also wouldnt want her to be type cast or have to wear stupid boob armour.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 07:07:22 PM »
I was looking at getting class IIIa armor and you can get some good used prices some places. Looking at police surplus.
In some cases, male armor fits better for some women and the reverse is also the case according to the person I spoke to.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 11:28:32 PM »
When I was doing fencing in college, women had these metallic rubber lined inserts they would place inside their protective garb for boob protection.

In fencing your target is the chest area. You lunge, get a "touch", and you score a point.

I may be misremembering things but whenever I scored a touch against women....it was always followed by "I didn't mean to hit you there!" They shrugged it off but damn...it seriously felt like 80% of the time my "touches" landed on second base territory. Good thing they had the appropriate armor.

-UPC
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 01:04:43 AM »
It's called a plastron.

And yeah, I get women in the boobs with my sword all the time.

No, that's not a euphemism. I get them in the literal boobs with my literal sword.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 06:54:16 AM »
Sports armour is different from real armour though in that the protection is only needed from impact rather than serious penetration. The recieving surface to deal with the latter would need to look the same externally in order to deflect damage as effectively.
So for example a sword cut on a breast plate molded to be breast shaped, will be deflected either to the shoulder joint or to the center, absorbing more force.
I can see the internal shape needing to vary though for comfort.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 07:54:12 AM »
Sports armour is different from real armour though in that the protection is only needed from impact rather than serious penetration. The recieving surface to deal with the latter would need to look the same externally in order to deflect damage as effectively.
So for example a sword cut on a breast plate molded to be breast shaped, will be deflected either to the shoulder joint or to the center, absorbing more force.
I can see the internal shape needing to vary though for comfort.
In general, you don't get cuts to the chest region - it's biomechanically more difficult than either cuts to the limbs or sides, or thrusts. So boob-shaped plates serve only to channel thrusts towards the neck.

But of course it depends on the weapon, the style, and the stance.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

personate-rain